Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ket222

Would Draft Expert's Picks Have Been Better Than Dimitrov’S? Why Blank Keeps Dimitrov (Family Friend Told Me)

28 posts in this topic

Out of curiosity, do you think it would have been better the last few years to draft according to Kiper / Maycock / Walterfootballs rankings instead of Dimitrovs?

I often got the impression Dimitrov often reached for players who the experts put in later rounds and turned out to be busts. Over the past 3 years, what if wed drafted the players we were supposed to pick according to the experts?

I talked to someone who is a close friend of Blank's family (they go to their beach house at Hilton Head) and asked why Blank insists on keeping Dimitrov.

She answered, "Would you fire your best friend?" Basically, she said, Blank has few close friends and they are very tight. Maybe it's that simple!

At least One of them is getting fired

If Quinn stays the Dimitroff is the one getting fired

If Dimitroff stays then Quinn is the one getting fired

I talked to someone who is a close friend of Blank's family (they go to their beach house at Hilton Head) and asked why Blank insists on keeping Dimitrov. She answered, "Would you fire your best friend?" Basically, she said, Blank has few close friends and they are very tight. Maybe it's that simple!

Interesting point that the OP has made. How can we compare Tommy's performance against the performances of a select group of "draft experts." The comparisons would not be perfect, given that players perform differently in different schemes. We have seen how different a player can perform when the scheme is changed.

However, it would be interesting to compare our FO to the inter web nerds.

We've got hundreds of posters who had mock drafts with Tom Brady and Richard Sherman as top picks.

Of course they had 50 other mock drafts without them. Or even better, not a mock (too much effort) but they "liked them" in that draft and "knew we should have taken them"

Borat likes this

I do think it would be good for someone here who knows a lot more about football and drafting than I do to compare an 'expert's' mock to Dimitrov's over the past 5 years (ie. Maycock said we should have picked X player at Y position vs the losers Dimitrov actually picked. Which players would have been key starters or even pro bowlers?)

Well if Blank needs a friend I am more then ready to help in that department. I am sure I won't cost near as much. Just let me go down on the field and give the refs an ear full when they blow a call. Come on why would the players fight for a staff that won't stand up for them. I would have been thrown out of the game after they tried to pull off the bad calls I saw last Sunday. Now I know it would not have won the game. Just come on someone show they got a pair on this team!!

who is dimitrov?

I think he's that guy on Mission Impossible 2 that the Russian scientist kept mentioning in his intro monolog that was supposed to be Ethan Hunts alter ego.

I seriously doubt that Arthur Blank is the kind of guy who says "oh this guy has screwed up a whole lot but he's my best friend so I will continue to let him lose me money and ruin my business"

How much does Rich McKay factor in to TD still being here?

My guess is that he gets one more year to work with Quinn. If there is not marked improvement, he is gone. And by improvement, I mean, a competitive team. The BS that is taking the field now is nowhere near competitive.

Even the homer in me doesn't think we will win anymore games this year

I call bullshyt on that rumor. Blank didnt get to be a billionaire by making emotional business decisions. He probably stepped on a lot of freinds' necks on his way to the top.

ok, Dimitroff... I didn't make the rumor up, but obviously I can't prove it. Blank owns a huge house in sea pines on Hilton head island--the family that knows the blanks stay there and sometimes take his boat out. Their daughter goes to my daughter's school--I can say the name but would rather not (it's a private school near Chastain park). This was the mother's viewpoint, maybe she was wrong but she knows them well. If you've ever wondered how odd it is that Dimitroff stays on, it's that the answer is not reasonable from a business point of view, it's personal.

I think it would be really interesting if someone takes on my challenge and compares Mayock/Kiper/walterfootball's picks for the falcons for the last few years with Dimitroff's and sees how they compare.

I think it would be really interesting if someone takes on my challenge and compares Mayock/Kiper/walterfootball's picks for the falcons for the last few years with Dimitroff's and sees how they compare.

Without putting any effort into this, my first thought is that most draft analysts would agree with the Falcons' high picks under Dimitrof. Most of the players had been considered "safe" prospects who had lots of college production and were of good character. However, that is not always what wins you games on Sunday because many of those players had already peaked and didn't have the upside to keep getting better and likewise didn't have enough "dog" in them to excel in a league full of hardened tough guys.

I would think many of the mid round picks would have been considered questionable, but teams generally have widely varying opinions of mid round picks.

How much does Rich McKay factor in to TD still being here?

I'm pretty sure the only thing McKay is involved in is the new stadium process.

Per my request that someone with a lot more football knowledge than me compare Dimitroff's drafts with some of the draft experts like kiper, I checked the walterfootball 2013 draft which picked:

Atlanta Falcons: D.J. Hayden, CB, Houston

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/Houston_logo.gif

The Falcons are really hurting in two areas: defensive end and cornerback. The latter is a huge issue with Dunta Robinson and Brent Grimes both gone.

There's some talk that the Falcons will move up for a corner. D.J. Hayden is said to be one of the targets.

*** OTHER 2013 NFL DRAFT POSSIBILITIES: ***

2. TRADE - Atlanta is probably moving up, however. Options in that scenario include Xavier Rhodes and Sheldon Richardson.

Second round had us picking: Cornelius Washington, DE/OLB, Georgia

Third round: Sean Porter, OLB, Texas A&M

I just thought it would be interesting if someone did a real comparison over 2-3 year span

I talked to someone who is a close friend of Blank's family (they go to their beach house at Hilton Head) and asked why Blank insists on keeping Dimitrov. She answered, "Would you fire your best friend?" Basically, she said, Blank has few close friends and they are very tight. Maybe it's that simple!

He could keep him on the payroll. Make him part of the mascot team. He could dress as falcon poop and follow Freddie around.