Major Falcons Changes Are Surely Coming

FentayeJones

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No No No,,, Shanahan = yes, but TD No.... I don't think that will happen. And I hope not. It's our O# system.. in the passing game.. Running game is much better but our Passing attack that was our strength is now wiped out sorry.

TD has to go as well. I don't think he'll be fired. I think he'll be switched to a different position in the organization.

How do you say:

But demand Kyle be fired? Lol you basically say "Beyond Ryan and Julio, this roster is crap" yet think any other OC would have done better.

Koetter didn't do much better just last year in a scheme Ryan knew for three years at that point. Fire Kyle. Fire TD. The problem still remains:

Matt learning a new scheme with no talent is not a recipe for success. Get some talent. Get a new GM and scouting department and build the roster.

My prediction is Shannahan will get another year but will be on a short leash. Dimitroff, Piolli, Vital and the scouting department will be cleaned out and Quinn will get his own guy in next season.

Edited by FentayeJones

Quinn's in a tough, tough position. My guess is he would like to be rid of Shanahan but how would that look to the players and the organization as a whole? Dumping his own guy after just just one year? This creates a couple issues:

1. Unless he KNOWS the players want Shanny gone, he risks losing the players respect for abandoning his own guy.

2. If he has to get a consensus from the players, what kind of precedent does that set? Who really rules the roost?

Like a I said, lot of hair on that decision.

Firing your guy after only one season looks bad. It reflects poorly on your ability to understand your players and the best scheme for them. It also looks bad to prospective OC's. If Quinn pulls the trigger this quickly, he will have a tough time convincing a good OC to move his family to Atlanta.

I am afraid that we are stuck with Shanahan for at least another season. Tommy is another matter.

THANK YOU BRADLEY!!! where the fuq are the ppl who gave Mike Smith soooo much flak??? Huh? Where are the guys who said smitty is dumb clueless, cnt run a team?

The guys who wanted Nolan out cause he was misusing talent? Where was the guys who wanted Dirk out? Even tho he got roddy almost 1000yds just last yr..

Pretty quiet, now smh.. gtfoh

I told some of y'all this team didn't have talent along with others as well..

y'all need to eat crow the rest of the yr and stay off this site.. that's y'all punishment lol..

Arthur Blank did this all wrong. He should have sent TD out the door along with Smitty. I've become ambivalent towards the whole deal, but you bring in a new GM a year after hiring a new HC, now that puts your new head coach in a precarious position, because unless it's someone Quinn is close with, a new GM will almost certainly want HIS guy, which means AB could be hiring a new HC and hitting the reset button again next year. I've seen that happen even after a coach pulls off a good season.

Whole thing was just half-a&&ed to me.

Wait, i thought when Quinn got here and we had this amazing draft, that it was because TD got the players Quinn wanted for his scheme? So why should TD be fired when he got players that Quinn wanted?

Not that i love TD. Lord knows there are a lot of moves i would have made differently regarding the draft and free agency, but its laughable how everyone blames him for everything bad, and he gets no credit for anything good. You can't have it both ways.

I don't care if he is gone or not. I doubt he is and i don't prefer it, but if we can get someone from the Seahawks, Bengals, 49ers, or Ravens front office i'd be all for it.

No No No,,, Shanahan = yes, but TD No.... I don't think that will happen. And I hope not. It's our O# system.. in the passing game.. Running game is much better but our Passing attack that was our strength is now wiped out sorry.

Draftnut, I have been a backer of Tommy for some time. The time has come to evaluate his drafts and free agent acquisitions. His record is below average. This team lacks talent and is shallow at too many positions. I am sorry to say that it is time for Tommy to be fired.

A talented GM should know more about personnel than a rookie head coach. Guidance was needed.

Edited by etherdome

How the **** are we going to overcome Dimitroff's drafting? The '09-12 drafts has a total of TWO players (not counting punter) and one of them is WillyMo Always Rehabbing

That is FOUR drafts that netted us two freaking players, one of which is gone as soon as the season ends. The 09-12 drafts are supposed to be the core of your team right now. Guys you've developed. And we have 1 WR that is supposed to be our "core". No wonder we don't have a core

How do we overcome that? There are teams with good QB's who have actually drafted well over that span. How are we supposed to leapfrog them, we have no advantage. They have the QB/WR/whatever but have ALSO drafted well. Someone make me feel better

The article is on point. But I think two things have to happen:

1. Quinn gets input on the new GM and they hire a guy he feels he can work best with.

2. To reciprocate that trust, Quinn needs to show management that he can own his mistakes by moving on from Shanahan.

TD has to go as well. I don't think he'll be fired. I think he'll be switched to a different position in the organization.

No, he'll be gone.

Smitty got a number of chances (new coordinators on both sides & new line coaches) to prove it wasn't him. When the problems were still there & the injuries & inconsistencies made us worse and doubt kept in, Smitty ran out of chances and got the axe.

This year was TD's chance. He needed a solid season to prove that the coaching was indeed all of the problem. For 5 games, it looked like that was the case, but then reality kicked in. He may have just been giving Smitty what he wanted, but he still failed to produce much talent period. He failed to prove anyone doubting his abilities wrong & his time is now up.

McKay had value to Blank beyond his GM duties. There have often been rumblings about McKay being considered as a candidate for NFL Commish if/when Goddell is up to be replaced. McKay also serves on the NFL's Competition Committee, and has some influence around the league. There are a number of reasons that it was a sound business move for Blank to stay closely tied to McKay once he was deemed unfit to be the GM here anymore.

TD has no such value to Blank. Heck, he even needed to bring in Pioli to handle a large part of TD's duties. He is gone after this miserable season officially ends.

How the **** are we going to overcome Dimitroff's drafting? The '09-12 drafts has a total of TWO players (not counting punter) and one of them is WillyMo Always Rehabbing

That is FOUR drafts that netted us two freaking players, one of which is gone as soon as the season ends. The 09-12 drafts are supposed to be the core of your team right now. Guys you've developed. And we have 1 WR that is supposed to be our "core". No wonder we don't have a core

How do we overcome that? There are teams with good QB's who have actually drafted well over that span. How are we supposed to leapfrog them, we have no advantage. They have the QB/WR/whatever but have ALSO drafted well. Someone make me feel better

Yeah that is what is killing me. We have absolutely no talent to show for from out earlier drafts under Mike Smith and Thomas Dimitroff. We have a lot of catching up to do, however we have a decent core of players to build around.

We need linebackers, athletic ones. We need a pass rush, a better offensive interior, more options in the passing game, and better safety plays.

We can get our team back to being competitive, we just have to make better decisions in the draft room. Last years draft was a step in the right direction, but the FA acquisitions were head scratching in my opinion. It is a shame we only have 5 picks, expect some trading.

Well. As I posted earlier and got bashed for it, one of the major benefits of Shannahan's offense is that it doesn't require elite and expensive OL. What a great opportunity to hide our defunct OL....

His offense gets great yards and does a great job of creating stud fantasy RB's and a stud fantasy WR. The problem is it requires a quarterback with an elite arm, quick instincts, and mobility. None of which Ryan has. It doesn't require a QB who excels at spreading the field to find the open receiver and using the no-huddle. (Which Ryan excels at)

It doesn't require a good #2 WR and makes stars out of cheap TE's.

In reality, its really an offensive scheme that's cheap to put together. (Unless you already have 165 million invested in just two players)

Maybe you got bashed for it because most of that isn't true at all. Since when does a WCO require a QB with "an elite arm?" Since when does Matt Ryan not have quick instincts? Since when is the no. 2 WR somehow irrelevant to a WCO?

I don't think any of this is true.

The article is on point. But I think two things have to happen:

1. Quinn gets input on the new GM and they hire a guy he feels he can work best with.

2. To reciprocate that trust, Quinn needs to show management that he can own his mistakes by moving on from Shanahan.

As bad as I feel about our offense, I would pump the brakes on firing Shanahan. At the end of the season, meetings between Quinn, Shanahan and Ryan should identify the problems and point to the solutions. If the solution is to part ways with KS, then so be it. Right now, I think that we just need to put this season away and let cooler heads prevail.

With regards to Tommy, we have enough evidence of his personnel decisions. We don't need a GM that does whatever the head coach requests. We need a guy that listens to the HC, then makes rational decisions. We have not had that with Get-along Tommy.

It's glaringly easy to figure out which flaws to eliminate and rebuild first when you watch a roster as weak as this one stumble around during games. I want Shanahan gone too, simply because his offense is an abject failure. But beyond that...keep in mind, no matter what changes are made, the base of talent this organization has to work with on the field is among the worst I've ever seen in the NFL. So, if I were in the owner's office, I'm sending Dimitroff packing even before Shanahan. His lineup looks like something a middle school coach with a sub .500 record came up with.

Typically it takes a few seasons to know what you have in a player, so this year's and last year's drafts shouldn't be held against or credited to anyone as yet. The glaring thing for me is the '08-'12 drafts, where we have five players left out of 38 picks, including a punter and a safety who can't ever stay healthy. None of those five are offensive linemen. One of them is a backup DE (Biermann) who was great value for the pick, but was asked to do far more than his talent would indicate (though that's a coaching issue).

That five-draft span should be the core of the team, as has been mentioned, and right now we have no core. Whether coaching was an issue or not (and I submit that it was), we still don't have the talent. Not all of it is on Dimitroff - not his fault that Jerry got hurt, etc. But enough of it is (the entire 2012 draft class is out of the league, not just not with the Falcons) that the root cause seems clear.

People pointing to Quinn asking for Chester and Levitre, etc. - what choice did he have? What were his options? He had to do SOMETHING and it's not like he was spoiled for choice. Cutting Hawley may have been a mistake, but I'm not going to second guess what he was hearing from the medical staff about Hawley's knee.