Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ket222

What Could We Get For Ryan? Would Anyone Trade?

63 posts in this topic

Branch Rickey once told Ralph Kiner when he wanted to renegotiate his contract the following ‘We finished in last place with you…we can finish in last place without you’. He was traded. There are six (6) teams in the NFL with worse records than the Falcons (16-29) since 2013.

TEN: 12-33
JAX: 12-33
TB: 12-33
WAS: 13-32
OAK: 13-32
CLE: 14-31

The idea that Ryan should be considered off the table in any effort to improve the standing of the Falcons is ridiculous. The teams above have hemoraged at the QB position and did something about it, or at least tried. In that regard, they are ahead of the Falcons. The Falcons still think Ryan is a foundational building block. That's why we're doomed for the foreseeable future unless we work out a way to unload him.

As for compensation though...I honestly wouldn't have the first clue. HOU absolutely makes sense as a team that seems to have enough pieces in place to overpay for competency and perhaps upside at the position. And I think HOU would be good for Ryan too...he wouldn't be asked to be the franchise centerpiece and emotional/upfront leader. Problem is that HOU could just as easily decide to go the Teddy Bridgewater type route.

LOL.

Someone clearly understands QB value in the NFL...

Alex Smith lured in 2 2nds. Ryan has done less than him in his career and at the moment is at his least valuable point in his career....

We're not trading Ryan. You have a better chance of getting laid by a moderately attractive chick than Ryan getting traded.

Then either I or Blank need to get to work.... I'm gonna go with I tho just to be safe....

Branch Rickey once told Ralph Kiner when he wanted to renegotiate his contract the following ‘We finished in last place with you…we can finish in last place without you’. He was traded. There are six (6) teams in the NFL with worse records than the Falcons (16-29) since 2013.

TEN: 12-33

JAX: 12-33

TB: 12-33

WAS: 13-32

OAK: 13-32

CLE: 14-31

The idea that Ryan should be considered off the table in any effort to improve the standing of the Falcons is ridiculous. The teams above have hemoraged at the QB position and did something about it, or at least tried. In that regard, they are ahead of the Falcons. The Falcons still think Ryan is a foundational building block. That's why we're doomed for the foreseeable future unless we work out a way to unload him.

As for compensation though...I honestly wouldn't have the first clue. HOU absolutely makes sense as a team that seems to have enough pieces in place to overpay for competency and perhaps upside at the position. And I think HOU would be good for Ryan too...he wouldn't be asked to be the franchise centerpiece and emotional/upfront leader. Problem is that HOU could just as easily decide to go the Teddy Bridgewater type route.

The difference between a Ryan trade being on the table and asserting that Ryan is a hinderance to the success of this team is absolutely massive.

The first MAY be worth considering. The second assertion is laughable.

The difference between a Ryan trade being on the table and asserting that Ryan is a hinderance to the success of this team is absolutely massive.

The first MAY be worth considering. The second assertion is laughable.

He's certainly not an asset...If CLE can only win 2 fewer games over a 3 year period than the Falcons with a supposed 'franchise QB'...what's the point of having Ryan? What's he providing that a Brian Hoyer/Ryan Fitzpatrick type isn't?

He's a hindrance in that at $20M, you're building your team around a fraudulent asset.

Y'all are thinking about this all wrong. View it from a teams prospective. Right now the teams that are picking top 10 either have young QBs or has other positions of need. The only teams who truly need a QB is St.Louis,Miami,and Houston. But do you think they'll want to trade multiple picks for a QB with a high price tag when they could just draft one and keep their picks? No they don't. And just to further my point...

Jags-Bortles

Titans-Mariota

Detroit-Stafford

Bears-Cutler

Browns-Manziel

Ravens-Flacco

Bucs-Winston

Etc.

He's certainly not an asset...If CLE can only win 2 fewer games over a 3 year period than the Falcons with a supposed 'franchise QB'...what's the point of having Ryan? What's he providing that a Brian Hoyer/Ryan Fitzpatrick type isn't?

He's a hindrance in that at $20M, you're building your team around a fraudulent asset.

Nope. Flawed analysis.

Y'all are thinking about this all wrong. View it from a teams prospective. Right now the teams that are picking top 10 either have young QBs or has other positions of need. The only teams who truly need a QB is St.Louis,Miami,and Houston. But do you think they'll want to trade multiple picks for a QB with a high price tag when they could just draft one and keep their picks? No they don't. And just to further my point...

Jags-Bortles

Titans-Mariota

Detroit-Stafford

Bears-Cutler

Browns-Manziel

Ravens-Flacco

Bucs-Winston

Etc.

I don't see how this list furthers your point at all.

I don't see how this list furthers your point at all.

They're not in need for a QB. I mean think what how you will about those QBs, but they all have potential to make the playoffs and at the least make some noise. Just like Ryan.

They're not in need for a QB. I mean think what how you will about those QBs, but they all have potential to make the playoffs and at the least make some noise. Just like Ryan.

Said who?

Jacksonville is probably riding the course out with Bortles. Oakland with Carr. The Ravens are going to be forced into a move with Flacco given his contract number moving forward. Detroit could easily be done with Stafford. The Bears were about ready to pitch Cutler into Lake Michigan three months ago. What about Manziel's early career suggests that he's going to be given the benefit of doubt by Cleveland? Or that he won't be on TMZ next week?

San Francisco needs a QB.

Denver needs a QB.

Houston needs a QB.

The Jets could use an upgrade.

Philadelphia needs a QB.

Buffalo could conceivably make a move.

New Orleans could move on from Brees.

St Louis clearly needs a QB.

Washington could easily decide that it makes more sense for them to pay Ryan than it would to pay Cousins.

The QB landscape in this league changes constantly. In the event that we felt the need to shop Ryan, we would certainly be able to find a trade partner who would provide quality compensation.

16-29. Not at all.

Losing comes from all sorts of places. San Diego's three games better over that span. They're worse over a 5 year year window. Yet Philip Rivers isn't a detriment, he's an asset. A highly valuable one.

Said who?

Jacksonville is probably riding the course out with Bortles. Oakland with Carr. The Ravens are going to be forced into a move with Flacco given his contract number moving forward. Detroit could easily be done with Stafford. The Bears were about ready to pitch Cutler into Lake Michigan three months ago. What about Manziel's early career suggests that he's going to be given the benefit of doubt by Cleveland? Or that he won't be on TMZ next week?

San Francisco needs a QB.

Denver needs a QB.

Houston needs a QB.

The Jets could use an upgrade.

Philadelphia needs a QB.

Buffalo could conceivably make a move.

New Orleans could move on from Brees.

St Louis clearly needs a QB.

Washington could easily decide that it makes more sense for them to pay Ryan than it would to pay Cousins.

The QB landscape in this league changes constantly. In the event that we felt the need to shop Ryan, we would certainly be able to find a trade partner who would provide quality compensation.

What is quality compensation in your mind? TBH if we was to reel in a 2nd id be ok with trading Ryan just for that. Simply because he's proven that he is no longer the guy that should've been the savior of our franchise. And by savior I mean the guy who wins is a SB.

Losing comes from all sorts of places. San Diego's three games better over that span. They're worse over a 5 year year window. Yet Philip Rivers isn't a detriment, he's an asset. A highly valuable one.

I wouldn't agree with that. SD suffers from the same malady. Thought they were crazy to extend him. In fact, he and the Chargers are the perfect example of what we'll be and feel come 2020 if we stick with Ryan. Why is SD 'thankful' they have Rivers? So he/they could lay eggs season after season while blowing up the stat feed? All because one year...a long long time ago, they went 14-2?

If Ryan were available, then there's many teams who would consider it. Houston, Cleveland, Denver, Buffalo, San Fran, Jacksoville, Philadelphia and who knows who else could all be possible landing spots. However, who do you replace Ryan with, that is actually a franchise QB?

I have no illusions that Ryan is a great QB, but he is better than most. Unless there is an Andrew Luck type of QB out there, then I'd stick with Ryan.

I was glad that someone said we wouldn't get killed financially with a trade (wouldn't have to pay a large part of Ryan's contract) Does everyone agree?

Is this a weak college quarterback class this year? Could we get a very good QB at about the 10th-15th pick?

The thing I worry about with ryan is he seems to need a great team around him to be great--maybe with Brady's Oline he would be. Also, not being able to throw downfield--seems like we're not using Julio's potential.

I wouldn't agree with that. SD suffers from the same malady. Thought they were crazy to extend him. In fact, he and the Chargers are the perfect example of what we'll be and feel come 2020 if we stick with Ryan. Why is SD 'thankful' they have Rivers? So he/they could lay eggs season after season while blowing up the stat feed? All because one year...a long long time ago, they went 14-2?

If you think Philip Rivers is that sort of QB, you need to watch more football.

The Chargers havent done a good job developing young talent, whether because of drafting or development. That's what they have in common with the Falcons. The team around eroded around Rivers. Same as the team eroded around Ryan. Same as teams eroded around Romo before. And Roethlisberger.

Yet when teams are built back up around Romo or Roethlisberger, what happens?

Good QBs don't "winzzz" games. Good teams do. So instead of wondering how we can unload our good QB, we should probably worry more about continuing to build a good team.

What is quality compensation in your mind? TBH if we was to reel in a 2nd id be ok with trading Ryan just for that. Simply because he's proven that he is no longer the guy that should've been the savior of our franchise. And by savior I mean the guy who wins is a SB.

If you think this team's "savior" needed to win a SB, you're ill-informed about the history of this franchise.

I don't see Ryan being traded, but if it did happen... I could see Dallas making a play for him considering Romo's health now a days. JJ love a good splash.

I don't see Ryan being traded, but if it did happen... I could see Dallas making a play for him considering Romo's health now a days. JJ love a good splash.

Yep. That's another possibility. Forgot about them.

We could easily get a 1st +. But it would be the stupidest thing to do. Look how loaded the Rams are/have been over the last few years and they are stuck in mediocrity because they can't find a QB. Kyle Shanahan needs to be fired simple as that. Ryan isn't as bad as he's playing this year.

If you think this team's "savior" needed to win a SB, you're ill-informed about the history of this franchise.

Oh trust me I know the history. 50 years and nothing to show for it. It's time for a change. Big ones. And I'm personally all in for whatever Quinn and Artie have in store in terms of putting this team closer to that goal. And I won't settle for anything less.