Life As A Falcons Fan

tNnkBYI.jpg

I actually took this pic near the end of the Falcons/Colts game, and forgot about it until now.

I remember the crowd being so deflated in the second half, even booing Ryan at one point. It was surreal, because I'm used to getting that Dome rocking when me and my boys are in there, but even we lost the will to cheer that hard by then. It was just sad.

Anyways, I don't want this thread to be another flame war about coaches or players, do that in the many other threads, but feel free to leave your sob stories if you want.

Really I just thought this pic was priceless, kind of exemplifies the feeling about GA sports right now. We still care, but it's hard to get up for anything right now.

What you are describing is apathy or indifference, a dangerous attitude and emotion from fans about their team.

Anger is preferred over apathy as with anger at least one cares enough to be mad. Apathy is not good and this is what the Falcons are deservedly facing when allowing a QB to get a first down as Winston did last week while our players were jogging and when Ryan is throwing listless passes into the waiting arms of defenders.

Apathy or indifference is when a fan is unsure, desirous or thinking of something better to do this Sunday at 1:00 pm and this is where I am after that Winston run. Wholly inexcusable and a poor reflection on the coaches.

I survived 2007, I'll survive this. I'm not old enough to remember the misery of anything before 1998.

Exactly, if you want to talk about surreal, how about the few thousand people chanting for JOEY when Byron was playing. Honestly Joey Harrington was the best option at QB that season. Or sitting in a large 300 section with literally 1 other person for the last game of the season like I did. This is a bad year but nothing will ever compare to the 2007, nothing.

People have been pissed off before, but I know a ton of people that are seriously giving up on the team, and a few that have chosen a new one. 3 losing seasons in a row, not to mention a coming price hike, are killing any goodwill this team has rebuilt since 2007.

Shame. I always believed you don't choose to be a fan, fandom chooses you. Maybe that's why our base seems to be a little flighty.

Shame. I always believed you don't choose to be a fan, fandom chooses you. Maybe that's why our base seems to be a little flighty.

Pathetic.

Blank is treating this whole situation like a business, and some of the fanbase is taking the same approach. People switch brands all the time, and if Blank is just treating the franchise like any other brand, some fans don't see the point of being loyal. Is anyone here loyal to McDonald's or Wal-Mart? The fact that "Atlanta" is in the name doesn't matter to many people, especially when the team is an embarrassment that people don't want to be associated with.

What you are describing is apathy or indifference, a dangerous attitude and emotion from fans about their team.

Anger is preferred over apathy as with anger at least one cares enough to be mad. Apathy is not good and this is what the Falcons are deservedly facing when allowing a QB to get a first down as Winston did last week while our players were jogging and when Ryan is throwing listless passes into the waiting arms of defenders.

Apathy or indifference is when a fan is unsure, desirous or thinking of something better to do this Sunday at 1:00 pm and this is where I am after that Winston run. Wholly inexcusable and a poor reflection on the coaches.

This!

I shrugged my shoulders after the Winston run, and then started to vacuum the house after the Ryan INT, and started thinking,....I could have got my chores done a lot sooner if I hadn't wasted time watching the game

And I've been a fan since 1981

People have been pissed off before, but I know a ton of people that are seriously giving up on the team, and a few that have chosen a new one. 3 losing seasons in a row, not to mention a coming price hike, are killing any goodwill this team has rebuilt since 2007.

Agree. This collapse back down into the sewer after starting 5-0 has done nothing but exacerbate the pain and frustration for fans, especially those who have been around for a long time. I may be wrong, but I am starting to sense a real, widespread disgust with this team.

Unless something incredible happens in the next two seasons I believe Blank is going to find himself the owner of a dying franchise, a nearly empty stadium every Sunday and a miniscule fan base who won't even care enough to watch the games on tv any more.

I think this is why I always have hope with the Falcons. My story. I was 13 years old. My Dad came in and said. You can skip Church and watch the rest if you want. Me: "No I can't watch anymore. Dang Saints" I said "Dang" a lot in 1978. Mom always yelled at me thinking it sounded like something worse. Anyway so off I go to Church and then this happened.

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/6317/falcons-play-no-1-big-ben-right

To this day I will watch until no miracle is possible. And even then I will sneak back and take a peek to see if a "Joe Pisarcik" moment might happen. There have been a lot of these with Matt (Chicago 2008 anyone?) I really think that play in 1978 is what cursed me. I keep waiting for that to happen in the Super Bowl. I dreamed this year was it. Super Bowl 50. I am 50 years old. Here we go. Hope I don't have to wait until Super Bowl 60.

Agree. This collapse back down into the sewer after starting 5-0 has done nothing but exacerbate the pain and frustration for fans, especially those who have been around for a long time. I may be wrong, but I am starting to sense a real, widespread disgust with this team.

Unless something incredible happens in the next two seasons I believe Blank is going to find himself the owner of a dying franchise, a nearly empty stadium every Sunday and a miniscule fan base who won't even care enough to watch the games on tv any more.

Well said. People underestimate fan fatigue, especially with teams that have never, ever won a title. Atlanta's in the dangerous area between two extremes:

- legacy franchises that have won a Superbowl at least once, which can weather the storm of a few bad seasons, thanks to having shown that they can win it all; and

- franchises in smaller markets (some so small that the NFL team is the only major league team in town), who can count on fans always coming back because there's no real alternative for fans to cheer for, at least locally.

People in this market have PLENTY of options, including college teams, so when the price goes up for a team with zero championships, fans can and will shop around. Shaming fans that don't "stick with the home team through thick and thin" means less and less when some fans already feel betrayed by the franchise's pricing, personnel decisions, and lack of any real success.

In addition to that is what happened to the NBA during and after the Jordan era: fans cheer for superstars and championship teams, partially thanks to 24-7 cable sports coverage, and they've woken up to the fact that the only people complaining about fans being disloyal are the teams themselves (and whatever fans haven't woken up yet and still "believe").

I was sitting in the stands 1986 when the 0-13 Indianapolis Dolts came into Atlanta Fulton County Stadium, blocked a punt, and beat the Falcons. 0-13, on OUR field. You'd have thought it was the '72 Dolphins out there kicking us around. >>>> This season, first year with a first-year coach and staff, started off nicely. Obviously it's gone WAY downhill, but come on....it does not even compare with many, many other sorry Falcon memories. And keep in mind: if things hadn't been a lot better for several years (Mike Smith), none of us would be so angry about it because we'd never have had our expectations high in the first place. Y'all can jump off a building if you want, but me....I'll consider chucking the dream if we're still losing after about the first 5 games of next season. It's the second year of a new regime that you should focus on...never the first.

tNnkBYI.jpg

I actually took this pic near the end of the Falcons/Colts game, and forgot about it until now.

I remember the crowd being so deflated in the second half, even booing Ryan at one point. It was surreal, because I'm used to getting that Dome rocking when me and my boys are in there, but even we lost the will to cheer that hard by then. It was just sad.

Anyways, I don't want this thread to be another flame war about coaches or players, do that in the many other threads, but feel free to leave your sob stories if you want.

Really I just thought this pic was priceless, kind of exemplifies the feeling about GA sports right now. We still care, but it's hard to get up for anything right now.

This pic IS indeed priceless.

It summarizes how the Falcons have.........for over 45 years......deceived the people of Atlanta Georgia.

Anybody who can just "pick" another team can gtfoh anyway.

Blank is treating this whole situation like a business, and some of the fanbase is taking the same approach. People switch brands all the time, and if Blank is just treating the franchise like any other brand, some fans don't see the point of being loyal. Is anyone here loyal to McDonald's or Wal-Mart? The fact that "Atlanta" is in the name doesn't matter to many people, especially when the team is an embarrassment that people don't want to be associated with.

Products/services are offered, money is exchanged and the brand requires individuals with certain skill-sets to run it. Not sure what your definition of a business is. Don't let the NFL's "Not for profit" tax classification fool you. He's gotta make money too. A winning team will do that, this whole thing wasn't going to get fixed in one off season

I feel like the Falcons are beyond giving up another bummer of a season, they are dying a slow death as a team all together.

I also find myself not even mad about this garbage anymore, and I have no plans to watch the game this Sunday for even a second. It's much like when you know it's over with a woman, she loses her luster, and you don't even care enough to fight anymore, and turns into some ghost stalking around the house, thats how I feel about this falcon team. I'm a little sad thinking about what could have been, but I'm looking forward to getting my Sundays and closet space back.