When Should The Atlanta Falcons Consider Matt Ryans Replacement?

Falcons0081

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rarely post anymore... I read daily. That being said.....

This has got be the most idiotic thread I've ever seen. The responses have been even worse.

Matt Ryan was a big reason we won the first 5 games this season, and has been a big reason we've lost the last 3 games. How easy it is to forget he lead all those comeback attempts early in the year.

Fact: He's the ONLY reason why our Franchise is where it is at now since 2008. We had a good supporting group in some of those years, yes. But this is a QB driven league, and you don't consistently make that many playoffs in a row if you are a bad QB. He gives us a chance every week, and not every team can say that confidently.

We should start looking for Matt Ryan's replacement after he wins 2-3 Superbowl's and wants to retire at the ripe age of 40. Y'all grow some balls and learn how to be a real fan, and stop acting like 5 year olds. People get in slumps. IT HAPPENS.

Get off the ledge.

Since there are no QBs available in the near future that would improve up what we have now, and since Ryan's contract would eat huge amount of monies available anyway, I just would say let Ryan play out his contract, and simply not renew it when his contract ends, unless of course he does improve and gets back to where he was or is better. He will be 33-34 at that time, and I am sure there will be QBs 3-4 years down the road that will eventually replace him.

The team has been Troffed and there is nothing we can do about it. All we can do is hope for the best and maybe he will turn things around.

usa-today-8208317.0.jpg

Edited by Intellectually Honest

We can all agree that this has to be the worst season of Matt Ryan's NFL career thus far. His mental errors are up, turnovers are up and maybe we can attribute that to a new coaching staff and scheme. But that is still no reason to completely write him off or say he doesn't have anything left in the tank. QB's have good years and not so good years, but I still have to wonder, as he closes in on a decade in the league, when will an APB be put out on his likely replacement? Thoughts?

Your not from around here are you??? For you to think it's Ryan's fault we are losing lets me know your clueless, He's doing what Shanny tells him to and it's not working at all. Let me promise you this,, Ryan will go no where, but if Shannahan don't change his terrible passing scheme , He will be the one let go,, I guarantee that.. You can copy and keep... You'll see... If Shanny don't get the passing plays back in order, he'll be gone soon. We all know what Ryan can do, What has changed since last year to make Ryan look terrible,, The passing scheme in case you can't figure it out. Ryan will be here regardless, He's one of the best in the League, It's the O# new system this year. It must be changed and it will be .. write it down, it will be. If Shanny don't change it, Then Shanny will not be here next year.. Copy this post and get back with me by the end of the year.

If Ryan is playing like this on a regular basis in 2016/7 then I will start to think about finding a replacement. Until then, he needs to be given to be give time to work his way out of his current slump. He has his flaws, but has been too good for too long, to be discarded after a 4-5 week mini slump.

It's all well and good to be talking about finding a replacement, but the chances of finding someone who is better than Ryan was from 2008-14 are heavily stacked against us and the chances of finding that replacement in the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds is even smaller. For every Russell Wilson or Andy Dalton, there are a bunch of Guys like Colt McCoy, Jimmy Clausen, Brian Brohm, Kevin O'Connell, Pat White etc. who don't make it.

I can see the logic in investing a mid round pick in a backup. It is very unlikely that they will be an improvement on Ryan, but it's always worth having the insurance. With limited resources available to us, it comes down to an question of what you prioritise - because we cannot have everything. Do you value a backup QB, over a 2nd round OL or DE who could/should be able to start for us?

We can all agree that this has to be the worst season of Matt Ryan's NFL career thus far. His mental errors are up, turnovers are up and maybe we can attribute that to a new coaching staff and scheme. But that is still no reason to completely write him off or say he doesn't have anything left in the tank. QB's have good years and not so good years, but I still have to wonder, as he closes in on a decade in the league, when will an APB be put out on his likely replacement? Thoughts?

The Falcons should always be looking for a quality player to replace whoever is injured or no longer performing at a high level. As for Ryan, I would hope that they would want a quality back up for him that can play at a high level. However, the priority for this team should be to continue to build a great defense. The NFC South is a division that is about having a great defense if you want to win it. Ryan will eventually play better.

You are right, I sometimes forget our last 3 seasons incl. this one.

4-12

6-10

6-5 which might end in 6-10 again.

I'm not sure what 2013 has to do with anything. Why just 3 seasons? Why not 6? Or 5? Or 1? Or 12 weeks?

If your "mediocrity" refers to the team in general, I guess I'm not sure what the alternative is. Nothing we do as fans is going to affect how the team plays the next 5 weeks. So it isnt really a matter of "worship" as much as its "well...this is what we are."

So is the alternative to stop cheering for the Falcons? Seems like thats your only course of action. If thats the boat you wanna sail out on, have at it.

It's sports, dude. Entertainment. Nothing to have a violent uprising about...

If your "mediocrity" refers to the QB specifically, you might want to look at the lay of the land in regards to NFL QBs. 5 games is a blink of an eye, especially in comparison to 7 years of quality play.

I'm not sure what 2013 has to do with anything. Why just 3 seasons? Why not 6? Or 5? Or 1? Or 12 weeks?

If your "mediocrity" refers to the team in general, I guess I'm not sure what the alternative is. Nothing we do as fans is going to affect how the team plays the next 5 weeks. So it isnt really a matter of "worship" as much as its "well...this is what we are."

So is the alternative to stop cheering for the Falcons? Seems like thats your only course of action. If thats the boat you wanna sail out on, have at it.

It's sports, dude. Entertainment. Nothing to have a violent uprising about...

If your "mediocrity" refers to the QB specifically, you might want to look at the lay of the land in regards to NFL QBs. 5 games is a blink of an eye, especially in comparison to 7 years of quality play.

Seriously...will you marry me? OK...maybe just a beer?

I'm going to the Bills Texans game this weekend. Gonna drag my last Pliny, a couple Sip of Sunshines, an Avery Hog Heaven and some other goodies along with me.

Gonna be a solid little sunday.

You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.

I am lucky enough to have a buddy with a father in law who goes to VT every few months. It's a nice pipeline to have. Sip of Sunshine is awesome. I have a Lawson's Maple Trippel in the beer fridge that's dying to get out.