Roddy White On Qb Change: “Who Else We Going To Put In There?”

birdz4i

I hope like crazy that I'm wrong but I think the Falcons are somewhat stuck in a bad situation with Ryan for the remainder of his career.

He'll probably eventually get out of this horrible slump he's in...either by working things out with Shanahan or with a new coordinator next year if things continue to fall apart for the remainder of this year...but who will he be on the other side of this?

Hearing your own fans boo you at home, having to weekly assure the media that you aren't injured, having to reiterate that you are comfortable with and on board with the scheme...I mean, he deserves to have all of the above but I don't know if he comes out of this being the same guy...and I wasn't sure before this slump started that Ryan could ever lead the Falcons to hoisting that Lombardi.

This is bad.

Not for nothing but we've seen other very good QBs go through streaks like this and bounce back with terrific football. Tony Romo has been in these sorts of spots. Philip Rivers has been in these sorts of spots. Carson Palmer has been in these sorts of spots. Eli Manning. Joe Flacco. ****, even Tom Brady was sitting in this type of spot at various points from 13-14.

Unless you're Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, etc., you're most likely going to hit a bumpy stretch. To a certain extent, we've been fortunate to have a QB that played with remarkable consistency. Unfortunately, he's not playing to the level we're accustomed to seeing. But to throw him away because of a rough patch in a new offense is silly.

Keep building the team. Keep adding pieces. Though the NFL is a game broken up into seasons, its really all about the long game once you have a QB worth keeping around. And if people think Matt Ryan's CV is one that justifies him not being kept around, they really need to watch more football.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not for nothing but we've seen other very good QBs go through streaks like this and bounce back with terrific football. Tony Romo has been in these sorts of spots. Philip Rivers has been in these sorts of spots. Carson Palmer has been in these sorts of spots. Eli Manning. Joe Flacco. ****, even Tom Brady was sitting in this type of spot at various points from 13-14.

Unless you're Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, etc., you're most likely going to hit a bumpy stretch. To a certain extent, we've been fortunate to have a QB that played with remarkable consistency. Unfortunately, he's not playing to the level we're accustomed to seeing. But to throw him away because of a rough patch in a new offense is silly.

Keep building the team. Keep adding pieces. Though the NFL is a game broken up into seasons, its really all about the long game once you have a QB worth keeping around. And if people think Matt Ryan's CV is one that justifies him not being kept around, they really need to watch more football.

I sincerely hope that you're right. I know the stories of the other quarterbacks and I know odds are slim that this is now who Matt Ryan is...but as a lifelong (and decades long) fan of the Atlanta Falcons I never assume that anything is going to work out positively.

I know that's pessimistic and probably sad on several levels but I'm just being honest.

I don't know how anyone can look at what's happened and not logically conclude that the problem lies more with Shanahan and not just Ryan. Ryan was a Pro Bowl caliber QB and now he's just instantly hot garbage? That just doesn't make any sense. There has to be more going on, be it comfort with the scheme or whatever. Just my opinion. The thing I'd like to know but know I never will is what Quinn is doing behind closed doors to get to the bottom of this. Is he chewing Matt out, chewing Shanny out, or both. Surely you would think something is going on there. That's what's so frustrating, whether you choose to lay more blame at Ryan's feet or Shanny's feet. Not knowing what's being done to fix it.

Edited by Falc_Fan_Since_Six

You're one of my favorite posters pauli but we part ways on this...There are a certain segment of posters on here who somehow think that the Falcons are going to be like the Israelites in the desert, searching for 40 years to find a quarterback as good as Ryan.

I reject that.

Is there anyone attainable as a FA QB playing in the NFL right now who could give the Falcons a better chance to win than Ryan? No. There isn't.

Is there a kid in next year's draft whom the Falcons can pick up in the 12-18th slot pick who will give the Falcons a better chance to win next year? Highly unlikely...

But after Ryan's playing days with the Falcons are done, whether that's 2 years or 7 years from now I totally reject and refuse to accept the premise that the Falcons can't and won't find someone better than Ryan is.

You know as well as I do that the primary reason Ryan is considered the best Falcons quarterback in their history is because that same history is so putrid.

This is an area where I am an optimist.

We can find a 2 year flash in the pan, maybe he'll be like Kaepernick or WIlson, and get us to a Super Bowl within a year or two before the NFL catches up . I don't see many QBs coming out of college with spread offenses and cartoon pictures on posterboards replacing playbooks that I think will be as good as Matt Ryan is long term.

I see Carson Palmer, Kurt Warner, Matt Hasslebeck left for dead, then come back with success.

I think the odds are much better for Matt Ryan to get it back together, than for us to roll the dice and hope we find a gem.

I agree 100%

This is so hard to figure out right now. There is so much we're not aware of right now. Ryan is not even close to who he's been in the past. And nothing seems to changing in order to help him or the team find a way to win these very winnable games. There has to be some serious dialogue behind the scenes. This crap fest is scarring our image once again. I'm sure AB is asking a lot of questions at this stage. Has Matt Ryan experienced a mental or physical breakdown of some kind? This guy is NOT the same QB we know of. There has to be more to this.

No doubt.

Ryan has never played this bad, until Shannahan came along. So either Ryan has just completely lost it and we are going to have to use a first rounder on a QB soon or Ryan is not buying into this scheme.

No doubt.

Ryan has never played this bad, until Shannahan came along. So either Ryan has just completely lost it and we are going to have to use a first rounder on a QB soon or Ryan is not buying into this scheme.

I do place partial blame on Ryan but I find it mind boggling some would believe that his ability has just disappeared into thin air

I do place partial blame on Ryan but I find it mind boggling some would believe that his ability has just disappeared into thin air

No doubt he gets some of the blame. But no one should be giving Shannahan a free pass. Not saying you are, but there are several that think Shannahan's shiz don't stink. For the last several years, Ryan has been a good decision maker, easily top 10 QB, borderline top 5 QB. Now he just all of a sudden becomes Mark Wohlers?

Basically. No matter how much we fans gripe, in reality we know ain't nothin gonna happen.

I get the impression that Matt Ryan has decided that if the O-Line can't protect him and he has no trust in them, then he's just going to execute the plays and how they turn out then so be it. And honestly, if that's the case I don't blame him, all that was preached about in the offseason was improving the O-line and the D-Line having a pass rush. So far I have seen the same O-line only honesty WORSE. I get the impression Ryan doesn't like this ZONE Offense and Defense, it makes things repetitive especially when practicing offense vs. defense for the team, conformitive and subject to surprises by other schemes used throughout the league.

Just my opinion. Probabyl not popular and I am sure someone will have some HOMER thought to say about it, but I am calling it like I see it.

Bottom line, WE ALL KNOW MATT RYAN has all the sudden went into the twilight zone where his passes go, why is that? I think it might have something to do with he see's this as a year where not only did you REPLACE the COACH who wanted to draft him, but the powers that be didn't make any improvements with the O-line, or that is THEY CAN'T Because of the new Scheme on offense. It's a no win situation for Matt Ryan, so I don't blame him, he's just trying not to get crippled because he has like 1 & 1/2 second when trying to throw the ball considering this O-line.

And it really confuses me at all the people talking about how this player and that player on the O-line is doing good in this area or that area. THIS IS THE NFL, You can either do the Job or you can't, because if you can't other players suffer, and right now I see Matt Ryan having ZERO TRUST in this offensive coordinator, or the offensive line.

Doesn't matter at this point if the Falcons make the playoffs or not. Thing is, they brought in several QB's as possible backups, which is normal in the sense for most teams, but in the Falcons case they give it the appearance that it was a critical thought, that's not too reasurring to a QB who already has questions starting the season as Matt Ryan did, a flawed O-line.

Either way, flame away whoever. I'm not saying throw away the season, but I'm saying until the offensive line problem is fixed it would be better if Matt Ryan were sit on the bench and or continue just throwing the ball wherever. I see ZERO Confidence by Matt Ryan in this O-line, and rightfully so.

Just my opinion, flame away.....

Because "putting a foot in Matt's azz" isn't a real solution to an actual problem.

For me a telling moment in all of this Ryan/Shanahan relationship and scheme difficulties came several weeks ago. Ryan was responding to a rather bland question about the scheme and said something to the effect like "I have to get used to turning my back on the defense. I haven't done that much."

I didn't think it was a big deal then but it's somewhat revelatory to me now.

A huge part of what is going on is Ryan not trusting these plays yet and how he is vulnerable at certain points. I'm not even coming close to saying he's scared. I've never believed that about Ryan. He's a tough kid...

No doubt he gets some of the blame. But no one should be giving Shannahan a free pass. Not saying you are, but there are several that think Shannahan's shiz don't stink. For the last several years, Ryan has been a good decision maker, easily top 10 QB, borderline top 5 QB. Now he just all of a sudden becomes Mark Wohlers?

I didn't want to believe some of the negative things I read about Shanahan when he got hired but now I find I'm having to more and more. Ryan's rapid decline is evidence enough for me. When you're trying to solve a problem you have to look for the most logical and obvious choice what is wrong.

For me a telling moment in all of this Ryan/Shanahan relationship and scheme difficulties came several weeks ago. Ryan was responding to a rather bland question about the scheme and said something to the effect like "I have to get used to turning my back on the defense. I haven't done that much."

A huge part of what is going on is Ryan not trusting these plays yet and how he is vulnerable at certain points. I'm not even coming close to saying he's scared. I've never believed that about Ryan. He's a tough kid...

He's played in a similar offensive system for the majority of his career. He's now being asked to do new things while surrounded by a different blocking scheme, different supporting players, etc. It doesnt excuse his poor play or make it any better for the team, but these changes have been substantial and are things he'll need to grow into. Its understandable that the transition wouldnt be seamless.

Add in a pretty sizable handful of bad luck and you've got his worst season as a pro.

Yeah, Matt just looks physically uncomfortable out there sometimes.

I hope this offseason Shanahan can take a step back, and look at what has worked for Matt in the past, and re-calibrate the playbook accordingly. We know he is capable of doing something like that, because he re-tooled his playbook to account for RGIII's strengths (before RGIII got repeatedly beat up and lost his burst and confidence).

Yeah, Matt just looks physically uncomfortable out there sometimes.

I hope this offseason Shanahan can take a step back, and look at what has worked for Matt in the past, and re-calibrate the playbook accordingly. We know he is capable of doing something like that, because he re-tooled his playbook to account for RGIII's strengths (before RGIII got repeatedly beat up and lost his burst and confidence).

Shanny is such a narcissist I would be shocked if he did that.

Even when he's not saying what I want to hear I love Roddy.

You can just tell he bleeds Falcon red and black.

I love Roddy. I swear, he wants to play defense. He's always talking them up. No one else talks about them and how they've let them down. No one will ever be more of a Falcon than Roddy White. Sorry, Tommy Nobis. Your title should be given to Roddy.

I love Roddy. I swear, he wants to play defense. He's always talking them up. No one else talks about them and how they've let them down. No one will ever be more of a Falcon than Roddy White. Sorry, Tommy Nobis. Your title should be given to Roddy.

Roddy probably could have been a more than decent safety.

if they are pissing you off, that says more about you then them......

I hate when people say that ****. It's not uncommon for a fan to be emotionally invested in their team. If you aren't, okay, cool. But the word means fanatic. Don't try to tell people how they should feel about their team.

Roddy probably could have been a more than decent safety.

He's lost a step but he's still one of the best at catching a ball over the middle while knowing he's about to get leveled by a safety. Happened once yesterday and he just got back up and tossed the official the ball when most receivers would have stayed down for a white after that hit.

After the 5-0 start everyone was saying Shanahan would be such a hot commodity for a Head Coaching job??? Someone hire his sorry butt now. Matt Ryan is playing as bad as any quarterback i've seen. Coleman runs and never holds on to the **** ball. I'm a lifetime fan and when we were 4-12 we weren't this hard to watch because we have talent to be really good. Stupid playcalling, penalties and TO's.