Colorado Springs Shooting At Planned Parenthood Clinic. Three Confirmed Dead...

Do I blame Republicans for this guy? No, even if he is a big stereotype in every way possible. I do think though that the rhetoric that has become unbelievably charged and hostile is not helping the situation, and serves to aggravate those that are most susceptible to its influence. Simply put, when one said essentially calls the other mass murderers and compares it to the holocaust, you're not going to get any meaningful response or reaction from the other side.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do I blame Republicans for this guy? No, even if he is a big stereotype in every way possible. I do think though that the rhetoric that has become unbelievably charged and hostile is not helping the situation, and serves to aggravate those that are most susceptible to its influence. Simply put, when one said essentially calls the other mass murderers and compares it to the holocaust, you're not going to get any meaningful response or reaction from the other side.

And it's mainstream people in the party who are making the "murderer" and holocaust statements, not some fringe nutjobs. That stuff trickles down to the masses pretty quickly. I had a spat with my own family on Facebook recently when I unfriended several of them for horribly racist, xenophobic, and outright dangerous comments they made.

One of them posted a picture of people loading rounds into AR15s with a caption that said something along the lines of, "I hear we are getting visitors [from Syria]. Let's show them a warm welcome." Other people were posting things about "Like if you think this Muslim President should be Hung [sic] for Treason". Still others were posting things about arresting Obama for treason.

That's not run of the mill harsh rhetoric. That's really dangerous demagoguery that somebody is eventually going to take seriously.

And here is what a Colorado House member who represents parts of Colorado Springs said after a fetus was cut from a woman's womb in an attack in Longmont, CO...

In a seven-minute segment on his "Pray in Jesus Name News with Dr. Chaps" online show Wednesday, Klingenschmitt reported on the attack and said, "This is the curse of God for the sin of not protecting our innocent children in the womb." He then gave a prayer that called abortion America's holocaust.

I can't verify that he actually represents the Planned Parenthood clinic, but his district is nearby if he doesn't.

That's far beyond anything that Obama has said about Republicans.

So Mohammed is still fair game? It's just abortions that we can't criticize?

This isn't about criticism. This is about rhetoric that is so over the top that it has a high chance of triggering someone who is already unstable and unhinged.

For example, "Hillary Clinton...believes in the systematic murder of children in the womb to preserve their body parts."

Oh...wait. Sorry, Obama once implied that maybe Republicans don't care about the middle class. So he's just as bad. rolleyes.gif

From a Republican congressman about the (edited and deceptive) videos:

"I mean, it's Nazi Germany...You think of the doctors in the concentration camps experimenting on their victims. It's kind of reminiscent of that."

But wait, Obama once suggested that Republicans were putting politics over the people. He's just as guilty of inflammatory rhetoric!

This isn't about criticism. This is about rhetoric that is so over the top that it has a high chance of triggering someone who is already unstable and unhinged.

For example, "Hillary Clinton...believes in the systematic murder of children in the womb to preserve their body parts."

Oh...wait. Sorry, Obama once implied that maybe Republicans don't care about the middle class. So he's just as bad. rolleyes.gif

Well let's see, back in 2008, Obama incited small town americans with his guns and religion comment. That comment probably killed like 7 people, at least.

Obama criticized Wall Street greed, which caused them to become even greedier.

Republicans compared abortion to the holocaust. The difference there being that the holocaust killed 6 million people, and abortions in the US have claimed 6 million fetuses since 2010 alone.

Seriously, please get the **** over yourself. Abortions have been controversial since forever. They will always be controversial. The planned parenthood videos and subsequent discussions were certainly controversial, but to say that they shouldn't have happened because crazy people might do something stupid us ******* pathetic. We don't curb speech in this country because it might offend crazy people. Period.

*I only hope you don't try to kill me after reading this post.

Well let's see, back in 2008, Obama incited small town americans with his guns and religion comment. That comment probably killed like 7 people, at least.

Obama criticized Wall Street greed, which caused them to become even greedier.

Republicans compared abortion to the holocaust. The difference there being that the holocaust killed 6 million people, and abortions in the US have claimed 6 million fetuses since 2010 alone.

Seriously, please get the **** over yourself. Abortions have been controversial since forever. They will always be controversial. The planned parenthood videos and subsequent discussions were certainly controversial, but to say that they shouldn't have happened because crazy people might do something stupid us ******* pathetic. We don't curb speech in this country because it might offend crazy people. Period.

*I only hope you don't try to kill me after reading this post.

Here is what Obama said:

"You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them," Obama said. "And they fell through the Clinton Administration, and the Bush Administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

I don't see where he's "inciting" anyone. Obama is actually empathizing with them and explaining why they are bitter. He even said, "it's not surprising" given their circumstances.

It's possible to express opposition to abortion without accusing the other side of a Holocaust or murdering babies or butchering babies for body parts. And Obama's comments about Republicans have been nowhere close to the type of demagoguery aimed at Planned Parenthood.

You're not good at false equivalency.

Here is what Obama said:

I don't see where he's "inciting" anyone. Obama is actually empathizing with them and explaining why they are bitter. He even said, "it's not surprising" given their circumstances.

It's possible to express opposition to abortion without accusing the other side of a Holocaust or murdering babies or butchering babies for body parts. And Obama's comments about Republicans have been nowhere close to the type of demagoguery aimed at Planned Parenthood.

You're not good at false equivalency.

Nope, Obama's comments were not patronizing at all. At least, not to a partisan hack like yourself. You view it as empathy! Lmao.

This entire thread is a failure. Linking this shooting as a consequence of conservative speech regarding abortions is just a low-brow attempt by asshats to taint the abortion debate.

Continue your Derp-a-thon though.

So to summarize, republicans shouldn't compare abortion, because there are crazy people.

People shouldn't draw the prophet Mohammed because there are crazy people.

Y'all are a sad bunch.

No one is talking about censoring people or responding to the fear of getting attacked.

Simply saying that hyper-aggressive dialog does nothing for the conversation and only serves to whip up loonies.

I don't envy the Republicans. They have to pander to lunatics that fantasize about righting the world's wrongs with guns to get elected and then they get blamed for inventing the rhetoric that best satisfies those that put them in office. Some backwoods mutant shoots up a clinic and you have to figure out a way to say he's wrong to do everything in his power to oppose mass murder.

Nope, Obama's comments were not patronizing at all. At least, not to a partisan hack like yourself. You view it as empathy! Lmao.

This entire thread is a failure. Linking this shooting as a consequence of conservative speech regarding abortions is just a low-brow attempt by asshats to taint the abortion debate.

Continue your Derp-a-thon though.

You apparently think that this...

"You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them," Obama said. "And they fell through the Clinton Administration, and the Bush Administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

...is just as incendiary and inciting as this...

"Hillary Clinton...believes in the systematic murder of children in the womb to preserve their body parts."

The only one derp'ing here is you.

I don't envy the Republicans. They have to pander to lunatics that fantasize about righting the world's wrongs with guns to get elected and then they get blamed for inventing the rhetoric that best satisfies those that put them in office. Some backwoods mutant shoots up a clinic and you have to figure out a way to say he's wrong to do everything in his power to oppose mass murder.

Republican politicians: "Abortion is the mass murder of millions of babies. It's the American Holocaust and Planned Parenthood is chopping up baby body parts to sell for profit! We have to stop the wholesale murder of millions of innocent babies!"

Random nutjob: "Well okay, I'm going to go put an end to this murder and slaughter of innocent babies!"

:kills a bunch of people:

Republican politicians: "Whoa whoa whoa! We weren't talking about violence or anything. We just meant...you know...vote for us because...we'll speak loudly even if we don't actually do anything. Nobody's talking about violence here. We should respectfully voice our differences on public policy and let the political system work the will of the people on this issue."

Edit: Let me be clear, I'm making fun of the notion that violent and extremist rhetoric is harmless and innocent, and that the people engaging in the violent rhetoric have no responsibility for the extremist crap that they spouted. I'm not saying the Colorado Springs shooter was influenced by such rhetoric. We don't know that yet, and there is some evidence that he was more of a mentally disturbed person than a hardline ideologue. That doesn't mean that he didn't target Planned Parenthood because of the rhetoric. It only means that he may have already been disturbed beforehand. This is where caution is warranted in reaching premature conclusions about this particular case.

I don't see on how violent rhetoric is responsible for islamic terrorism but not these kinds of terrorism.

One's a seductive ideology that promises the life of a warrior and eternal bliss upon death, and the other is an individual's foolish, self-serving belief that he can be some sort of holy warrior if he shoots people who displease his nonsense vision of God.

So now someone calling abortion murder is the equivalent of condoning violence.

Mother of god y'all are a bunch of ******* tools.

Of course it's not exactly the same as condoning violence. That said, if someone interprets it that way, there's not much to be done about it until they act on that interpretation, and there's not much to be done about it afterward except talk about how not to politicize the most recent tragedy and how to keep ******** from getting guns.

Of course it's not exactly the same as condoning violence. That said, if someone interprets it that way, there's not much to be done about it until they act on that interpretation, and there's not much to be done about it afterward except talk about how not to politicize the most recent tragedy and how to keep ******** from getting guns.

It's not anything the same as condoning violence. It's pretty much the exact opposite of condoning violence. A closer interpretation would consider being pro-choice as condoning violence.

It's not anything the same as condoning violence. It's pretty much the exact opposite of condoning violence. A closer interpretation would consider being pro-choice as condoning violence.

Well, that would explain the recent spate of attacks against pregnant women from people spouting pro-choice rhetoric that has never happened.