Jalen Collins. Whose Ego Is At Fault?

iEmbrace_life

That doesn't mean anything. I never look at that. I mean this very board says we usually make rookies and backups look like pro bowlers. Well that hasn't been the case since Adams got benched. Hassleback was the only guy to throw for 200 yards. If we don't have all those turnovers we'd still be undefeated. At least 1 loss. I don't buy that "look at the qb's we faced". You play who you play. Hassleback has always been a decent qb. He lead a team to a SB. TJ Yates just had a great day against NY even beating Revis deep so miss me with the "but look who we faced". It's a myth. Any decent qb can have a good game. Ryan was 11-5 his rookie season. I'm sure nobody was saying "but we faced Matt Ryan".

At the end of the day we were in the 20's before Adams got benched. And oh yea you brought up grabbert but he only went at Collins twice. As SOON as alf got hurt and Adams came in he attacked Adams who was burnt on the play but the receiver tipped the ball up and Adams eventually ran up under it for a pick. Had he caught the ball it's easily a TD he was burnt so bad. Lol

This board says alot of dumb **** but dont assume that I take on their views. Respond to what Im saying.

Now what were taking about has gotten sidetracked. Ive already stated my views on Jalen. He hasnt impressed me but hes a rookie and obv its way to early to judge him espically considering how raw he is. Plus could you show me one play where he knocked down a pass? Just one. I honestly cant remember if hes defended a pass yet.

As far as our defense benefitting from the the QBs weve faced. Obviously is positively impacts our defensive numbers. These guys are really bad. Sure any QB could have a decent day. But when 75% if the QBs youve faced arent anymore than sub par your defense will look better than it actually is. The last good QB we faced was Drew Brees. He made our defense look like trash. The next good QB we face is Newton. Youll see just how much these numbers are lying when he face him.

Edited by Bobby.Digital

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I just have to say it like this: I don't care about the New England Patriots, Butler, or anyone else from a Super Bowl winning team that you would like to compare to Collins.

My issues with Collins are that he lacks quick twitch, bites easily on double moves, and he's often late to break his high backpedal. I watched it on film at LSU and he still struggles with these same issues. Good route runners such as Andre Johnson, or a guy like DHop will expose CB'S who play high and lack quick twitch.

I like Collins' size, speed, and the chip that he shows though.

You act as if I'm trying to move an agenda forward. I'm simply stating my opinion. You obviously get wet over the guy. Good for you. Again, I hope he turns out to be a shut down type and Tru, Collins, and Alf become a deadly trifecta.

I care more about winning than being right.

Lol I never said Collins compares to Butler. I compared the situation of an unheralded, struggling, UDFA rookie that was trusted in the biggest moment of the year, but you'd rather ignore your own words and play a worse corner in Adams than a raw, rookie.

Just like FatBoi said, Nuke destroyed Revis. Good WRs do that. You're complaining about a raw rookie. Do you not see how pointless that is? Over a few first downs he gave up last game. Especially 10 games into his career. I don't get wet over anybody on the team. I do poke holes in poor arguments that are made around here, a poor one that you shot the biggest hole in when you said you'd rather play a guy who was just benched and set as inactive over two rookies that have shown better than that benched player for the last few games. After saying "terrible corners don't deserve to see the field, vet or not".

I don't see you complaining about Akeem King. He made a more egregious mistake than Collins in the game Sunday. Collins was pretty invisible Sunday until the holding call if I recall correctly. Wasn't beat deep outside of the incompletion to Johnson, a recurring theme this year, didn't allow a TD or cause a deep penalty. It was some underneath stuff (which the scheme wants) and a penalty.

You want to see a struggling corner, watch #20 vs the Niners. Collins has never looked that bad. Adams was probably marked inactive because he's still chasing WRs at Levi Stadium and missed his flight back.

And that deep shot to Andre Johnson? That wasn't even Collins man. It was Ricardo Allen's man, which is why he was in position to make the play and he did. Johnson was lined up in the slot on the opposite side of the field and ran a post. Collins' man ran a crossing route. The reason Collins is in the frame is because he kept dropping, which is his assignment. Thankfully he kept dropping because it took away the underneath space, making it a more difficult throw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBGQAld6QbI&feature=youtu.be&t=4859

Lol I never said Collins compares to Butler. I compared the situation of an unheralded, struggling, UDFA rookie that was trusted in the biggest moment of the year, but you'd rather ignore your own words and play a worse corner in Adams than a raw, rookie.

Just like FatBoi said, Nuke destroyed Revis. Good WRs do that. You're complaining about a raw rookie. Do you not see how pointless that is? Over a few first downs he gave up last game. Especially 10 games into his career. I don't get wet over anybody on the team. I do poke holes in poor arguments that are made around here, a poor one that you shot the biggest hole in when you said you'd rather play a guy who was just benched and set as inactive over two rookies that have shown better than that benched player for the last few games. After saying "terrible corners don't deserve to see the field, vet or not".

I don't see you complaining about Akeem King. He made a more egregious mistake than Collins in the game Sunday. Collins was pretty invisible Sunday until the holding call if I recall correctly. Wasn't beat deep outside of the incompletion to Johnson, a recurring theme this year, didn't allow a TD or cause a deep penalty. It was some underneath stuff (which the scheme wants) and a penalty.

You want to see a struggling corner, watch #20 vs the Niners. Collins has never looked that bad. Adams was probably marked inactive because he's still chasing WRs at Levi Stadium and missed his flight back.

We have the least 40+ plays given up at 2. OBJ and Evans. Besides that we haven't given anything deep up. And that's with Collins in the lineup. We are in at least 4 top 10 categories on defense so I'm very pleased with the D this year. If the offense could get in back in sync we could really make a push.

Yeah we were in the 20's and some of the teams below us had been on a bye week. You're fooling yourself if you don't think level of competition has anything to do with stats. Yeah you play who you play but I'll take playing Blaine Gabbert throwing to no names over Roethlesburger throwing to Brown, Bryant, Heath, and Leveon Bell/DWill.

Competition always matters but the style of defense we play doesn't even allow deep passes. Look at TJ Yates burning revis with Hopkins. Why didn't Hopkins burn any of our starters?? Cause the style of defense we play doesn't allow it. I don't care if it's Bryant, Moss, Rice, whoever. You just ain't tossing the ball deep like that.

The defense is designed to keep everything underneath. Why do you think Sherman got so many int's when he blew up? It's because qb's look at that cover 3 and want to go deep but if you have long corners like Quinn likes it ain't happening so easy. We've only given up 2 40+ yard plays. Lead the league in the least given up. Brees didn't even throw a bomb on us and Adams was still in the lineup. Tyrod Taylor have the pats problems last night. So don't buy into that competition thing. Our defense is better than you're willing to give credit to. Mainly cause we stop the run 1st off. That's gonna give any team problems. I don't think the current starting defense is gonna at lit up by any qb no matter who it is. I think some qb's will be a challenge but lighting them up like they used to is over and those long corners are a huge part of it.

And since your topic is about Collins sucks if I'm a young qb or even a backup WHY DONT THEY TARGET THE SUCKY ROOKIE???? None of you have answers that question yet. It's all "the qb's we played", or "Collins sucks" but no real answer to why the rookie corner sucks.

Do again, if he TRULY just sucks @ss why does NO backup or young qb target him. I guarantee that's why the so called "great qb's" would do. If I'm a young qb or a backup I'm gonna get my name up by attacking the worst cornerback in the league per TAFT. Makes sense right?? Why isn't this happening? I just need a real answer besides "Collins sucks". That's not an answer.

Collins is playing like a Dez Southward. Near the WE but never makes a play.

He hasn't really had many ops to make a play. I'm not seeing what yall see. He's only been targeted a few times. What plays is he not making? He has just as many int's as Tru. 0. When I see a team really pick on him I will stop talking about it until then I'm not seeing what you guys seem to see. Him giving up a ton of first downs and TD's. I'm missing them.

Adams is terrible, people should drop that immediately.

Just my opinion here, but I'm pretty floored by how much Collins has improved in just his first season. Even as someone who thought he was a solid pick, I said he would be terrible this year (esp after PS) and probably next year too, clicking in year 3 in a big way.

And yet...this same guy who looked abominable in preseason, who is our least experienced defensive player by far, is somehow looking better than Alford did his first or second season at this point. Right now, he looks freaky athletic with an overall average level of play as a starter. Average already? With his experience? By the time he starts to really get savvy (IF - it's a big if, but something I'm confident Trufant and even Alford can nurture) he'll be great.

Not saying anything is for sure, but he's wayyyy ahead of where I expected him to be, especially after preseason.

Just my opinion here, but I'm pretty floored by how much Collins has improved in just his first season. Even as someone who thought he was a solid pick, I said he would be terrible this year (esp after PS) and probably next year too, clicking in year 3 in a big way.

And yet...this same guy who looked abominable in preseason, who is our least experienced defensive player by far, is somehow looking better than Alford did his first or second season at this point. Right now, he looks freaky athletic with an overall average level of play as a starter. Average already? With his experience? By the time he starts to really get savvy (IF - it's a big if, but something I'm confident Trufant and even Alford can nurture) he'll be great.

Not saying anything is for sure, but he's wayyyy ahead of where I expected him to be, especially after preseason.

I agree. He really is playing well for a rook. As well as you can expect a tool to play. I'm still trying to figure out why he's sucking per this board. We obviously have been watching different games. Sure he's not playing with all his confidence. He's just trying not to get burnt much. Once he gets his confidence I think we'll see him attack the ball.

Pretty much... I wasn't expecting him to see the field for any meaningful amount of snaps until after the Bye

Collins SUCKS!!!!! But like someone said, you won't hear that here. These guys defending him are the same ones defending Shanahan and Matt's playing abilities too. If you notice what they are saying about Collins..."He's a rookie, he's only given up 'X' TDs, he only started 10 games in college, etc....". They're not talking about his unawareness, his ability of not being able to turn his head, him constantly getting beat by Gabbert and that no name TE, his stiff hips, etc... In other words, his tangibles. They're just talking about other stuff that tries to support their argument. In other words, hot wind.

Next year, I wonder what will be their excuses then, cause he will STILL have stiff hips, his ability of not being able to turn his head will still be there, his non-awareness will still be a problem, because Quinn has shown me that he can't teach him one of those things. Maybe that is why they were mad at him during training camp. Thinking that it would light a fire under him and the light bulb would come on. Same thing with Worrilow in coverage.

I don't understand the rookie and 2nd year player concerns at all.
As Fatboi has asked on several ocassions, where are the TD's he's allowing? Where are the big gains he's given up? All I'm reading is "he's been beat several times but.....", But what? He's been THAT fortunate on several ocassions??
Collins has been dong good you're asking way too much form a rookie
No he doesn't.

Like I said, nothing but opinions here. No tangible facts. Can one of you all comment on his stiff hips? His non awareness? Him not being able to turn his head around? That "Chris Houston" syndrome?

Like I said, nothing but opinions here. No tangible facts. Can one of you all comment on his stiff hips? His non awareness? Him not being able to turn his head around? That "Chris Houston" syndrome?

Vel has spoken on his awareness, especially in regards to the back shoulder pass, Fatboi spoke in this very thread about his stiff hips....but all I read from you is "Collins sucks", which is your opinion (ironic huh?). So I take it you can point me to the big plays and TD's he's given up, or the multiple first downs. He would be getting exposed big time if he's as bad as you and others say he is....so where's it at? Are will still waiting to see?

Being a rookie has nothing To do with my statement. I like Beasley, I like Coleman(if he can stop fumbling), I like Jarrett. I never liked Chris Owens. I see the Chris Owens cloth when I watch Jalen Collins. I think you guys look at his size, speed, and potential and overlook what's actually taking place.

Phillips Adams should see the field before Jalen does, not the other way around. You do realize that on the throw to Andre Johnson, Collins was beaten deep. The ball just happened to be out of bounds. If you can go back and rewatch last week's game key in on Collins and let me know if you still think he's really "coming along."

Adams really! ? You're not being consistent though.Adams is a vet and has gotten beat even more than Collins.