Ajc: What's Wrong With Matt Ryan?

Quarterback

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's more than the system. His mechanics are off. This is not the same QB I've watched for years. He's flat out missing throws even when he makes the right decision.

His mechanics are off because he's not comfortable in the system. Some folks are saying Ryan is done, some are saying he'll never be good in this system, blah, blah, blah. The truth is, it takes time to master it. It's taking him more time than we'd like, but there are signs he's getting it. If you watched the game, the offense wasn't consistently terrible. It just wasn't consistently good. It was hit and miss. Cleaning that up is the key to the offense getting better.

And they will clean it up and it will get better. People are just impatient. I understand, I'm tired of watching us lose winnable games too. But it takes time.

Personally I think he let it slide a bit after the last two wasted years. New OC, new scheme and probably less desire after getting a new contract. That is very human, happened to alot of people.

Plus nobody expected this team to start 5-0. We were supposed to have a terrible OL and supposed to have no run game. By all means, he probably thought this would be just like 2013 and 2014 and never put everything he potentially has into the season.

Fact is, he never looked as unprepared and inaccurate as he looks now. Arm strength is worse than before, nobody can deny that.

I think Ryan is shooting up heroin during the game. After breaking a huddle yesterday he had that stupid grin on his face and was walking like Frankenstein. Then I spotted what looked like a hypodermic needle on the field through my binocs. Off the field I heard he has been going by the nickname Ryan Mexico. Just sayin.

I think we need to get him to pee in a cup. /purple

For all the talk of Ryan suffering a massive decline, most of him his raw numbers haven't declined significantly.

His completion % has dropped by 0.5% from last year (1 less completion every 200 passes), his YPA hasn't changed materially, he's on course to beat last year's passing yardage total. His passer rating has only dropped by 1.5 points from last year. He is on course for 16 Ints, compared to 14 last year and 17 in 2013. The one number that is on course to drop sharply is the TD passes, where he is on pace for just 22/23 compared to 29 last year. Of course the stats don't tell anywhere near the full story, as Ryan is clearly struggling more so than usual, but I think it's interesting to compare them.

As for the decline, it could be down to a bunch of things:- struggling to adjust to the timings of a statement that is heavily reliant on footwork and timing, adjusting to new receiving targets in multiple positions, struggling with decisions/progressions in a new system, lack of confidence in a makeshift line, bad snaps, pressing to hard because he's trying to make up for mistakes, or possibly just a lack of confidence following a few poor games. I doubt that there has been a significant decline physically at his current age, although I suppose it is possible that he could be carrying a finger, hand or shoulder injury that could be affecting his passing.

For all the talk of Ryan suffering a massive decline, most of him his raw numbers haven't declined significantly.

His completion % has dropped by 0.5% from last year (1 less completion every 200 passes), his YPA hasn't changed materially, he's on course to beat last year's passing yardage total. His passer rating has only dropped by 1.5 points from last year. He is on course for 16 Ints, compared to 14 last year and 17 in 2013. The one number that is on course to drop sharply is the TD passes, where he is on pace for just 22/23 compared to 29 last year. Of course the stats don't tell anywhere near the full story, as Ryan is clearly struggling more so than usual, but I think it's interesting to compare them.

As for the decline, it could be down to a bunch of things:- struggling to adjust to the timings of a statement that is heavily reliant on footwork and timing, adjusting to new receiving targets in multiple positions, struggling with decisions/progressions in a new system, lack of confidence in a makeshift line, bad snaps, pressing to hard because he's trying to make up for mistakes, or possibly just a lack of confidence following a few poor games. I doubt that there has been a significant decline physically at his current age, although I suppose it is possible that he could be carrying a finger, hand or shoulder injury that could be affecting his passing.

That's what I suspect.

This was by Michael Cunningham, perhaps the writer I respect most with the Fish Wrapper.

I respect Cunningham's work. Well, we are all seeing a major drop off in Matt's play. I am of the opinion, that he is simply not comfortable in the new system. But, that does not explain the errant throws and poor accuracy.

To tell you the truth, I have never considered Matt Ryan an accurate passer. I think that it comes from bad habits and a failure to practice the fundamental techniques and mechanics of throwing. I think that his poor footwork is at the root of most of his problems.

I know that this probably looks like I am pounding a guy while he is on the ground. Nothing could be further from the truth. I support Matt Ryan and I hope that he works his way out of this terrible trend. It will take a lot of work from him and a skilled teacher to guide him.

something is amiss!

I don't know what is going on w/ Matt - but something is not adding up. I realize it is a different system - maybe that is it - but you don't generally see someone suddenly get much worse with accuracy like what is going on now w/ Matt. I don't get it.

Is it the system?

Is it an injury?

Is it something else?

I don't know.

Matt never has been THE guy to take you to the SB, but I have something interesting to think about. For years Matt has

been under so much duress that i always blamed it on the OL, but lately he has had more time and his passes look worse

than ever.

So the question is, do you think Matt is the one to take us to the SB, if not, then we need to consider another QB next year.

We won't find him this year, so were stuck with him for the remainder of this year.

when you see what Winston did yesterday, it makes you think twice.