I never thought this is would be a one-year turnaround. With what I've seen out of this defense, that still has some real holes in it, and a lot of youth, my faith is still high. But it's going to hinge on what he does with the offense, which could mean another offensive coordinator. It's just not working for me.

Pete Carroll fired his "boy genius" OC his after his first year in Seattle. Hope Quinn isn't too stubborn.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People keep saying things like this, but how exactly does a coach prevent a player from fumbling, or throwing an interception? The game doesn't work that way, coaches can only do so much.

Yea, I think this is where we disagree. Just like a coach can stress toughness he can stress being focused and ball security.

Lol what you just wrote is stupid, keeping Mike Smith would have been one of the worst decisions we could have done... Y'all are unbelievable! Dan Quinn of coming here and change us for the better our defense plays like it's supposed to be with the little talent that we have any other team whose defense gets them three turnovers will do something except for this team because Matt Ryan is leading our offense the man does not have it! He is not a dog by no means and we lost this game today because of him

We're playing worse this year than last the only reason we have 6 wins is because the easy *** schedule we have. Even with the easy schedule we had to come back in 4 of those games. We are worse than last year.

Not true. The offense had major issues every year since Matt has been here. Games at a time with multiple turnovers and low scoring bad losses.

I didn't say the offense was perfect, but it's never been this bad against weak defenses. It's the NFL. There will always be low scoring games and games with multiple turnovers. That's a bizarre and unrealistic measure to ask in the NFL. Fact is, we used to always feel like the offense can keep us in any game even just last year (Green Bay MNF game), and just hope the defense could hold them enough.

The stats back it up. The Falcons were a solid offense under Mularkey and Koetter. They weren't the most explosive, but they did enough to win games. They even looked very good early this season, but these last five games have shown a terrible NFL offense. There's a reason both Koetter and Mularkey are still calling plays for NFL offenses, and we are letting a guy who cried his way out of Cleveland (that's a fact) and lost a power struggle with his QB in Washington call the plays.

I am in no way saying Koetter and Mularkey were the best OCs ever, but they were better than Shanahan and with a lot less ego and personal baggage. Find me a five game stretch where the Falcons were this putrid on offense under Ryan in the past. The Falcons are playing a complete joke of a schedule and we are barely putting up 20+ points against some of the worst defenses in the NFL.

Ryan is definitely at fault, but you can't say it is all on him. Shanahan deserves plenty of blame for this offense, along with Ryan, Quinn, etc. taking less. It's his offense, and it flat out sucks right now.

Yea, I think this is where we disagree. Just like a coach can stress toughness he can stress being focused and ball security.

And he does. He stresses it every single week. There's 0 chance he says that every week, sees that's why we keep losing, and then doesn't address it. The players just aren't translating it to the field.

We're playing worse this year than last the only reason we have 6 wins is because the easy *** schedule we have. Even with the easy schedule we had to come back in 4 of those games. We are worse than last year.

You just said it right there, we had to come back in those games meaning offense not putting up enough numbers for people to be chasing us ... you know the main reason why we won those games was because of Defense!!! getting the turnovers when we needed it now the defense is doing the same **** and Matt Ryan is not doing a **** thing when we get the ball back

And he does. He stresses it every single week. There's 0 chance he says that every week, sees that's why we keep losing, and then doesn't address it. The players just aren't translating it to the field.

But that's what makes a good coach to me. Take Saban and Richt in college as an example. I'm sure they say a lot of similar things to their team. It's about the delivery and whether or not the message is getting through and if it's not doing something different to make sure it does. Now maybe Quinn will figure it out but I'm very skeptical with what I've seen from this team over the last 6 weeks.

But that's what makes a good coach to me. Take Saban and Richt in college as an example. I'm sure they say a lot of similar things to their team. It's about the delivery and whether or not the message is getting through and if it's not doing something different to make sure it does. Now maybe Quinn will figure it out but I'm very skeptical with what I've seen from this team over the last 6 weeks.

Its like when everything was going good it was easy for him but at the first sign of adversity this team just crumbled. Something happened to this team in that Saints game and for whatever reason Quinn hasn't been able to correct it.

The only way you can stop a player from fumbling or throwing interceptions is put him on the bench. Otherwise you take the good with the bad. Mike Holmgren emphasized precision and protecting the ball, he never could stop Favre from turning the ball over.

Certainly, I'm just making the point that eventually the players need to actually do it too. We'll see at the end of the season, if it's not fixed by then something is very wrong somewhere along the line. No excuse for this many fumbles.

Guest since'66

The cliche' that the team takes on the personality of the coach is somewhat true. I thought Quinn would bring at minimum ...toughness, even if it's his first season. I don't see it.

I see another falcon coach that is a good freind to his players but not a mentor. Not a coach that is "respectively feared" so to speak. I see players that do not play with a desire to win, much less go to the superbowl. They look like a team wanting to pick up a paycheck.

The cliche' that the team takes on the personality of the coach is somewhat true. I thought Quinn would bring at minimum ...toughness, even if it's his first season. I don't see it.

I see another falcon coach that is a good freind to his players but not a mentor. Not a coach that is "respectively feared" so to speak. I see players that do not play with a desire to win, much less go to the superbowl. They look like a team wanting to pick up a paycheck.

There is no right or wrong way to coach. Pete Carroll isn't feared. He's respected but not feared. Critics were sure it wouldn't work out in Seattle because he was too much of a player's coach.

You don't think the defense has shown toughness this year?

It's the man's first year and he's taking over a roster that isn't entirely his. He doesn't have a roster stocked with his guys. This thing still needs to be turned over.

Agreed but I don't think it's just offense its Matt Ryan lol

Ryan deserves blame, but it's crazy how some people are honestly trying pin everything on Ryan and very little on Shanahan. Ryan was a top ten QB until Shanahan came along. He didn't just forget how to play QB. This system is a terrible fit for him, and someone's ego isn't letting it get fixed.