Ufc Rousey Vs Holm Tonight...

On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 0:49 PM, The Legendary SB said:

A punches chance if she got a good hit in.  That said Cyborg is as good of a striker as Holm but bigger, stronger, and more aggressive.  Cyborg is also a far superior grappler than Holm.  I don't think any of the top 135 pound women match up well against Cyborg.  If Cyborg makes 135 then poor Dana's gonna have an ugly champ which is what he's been trying to avoid. 

I think the fans could still get behind an unattractive female if she's a knockout machine. (Maybe not so much a submission artist) She wouldn't get the endorsements Rousey gets which is unfortunately the world we live in but fans I think would pay attention. Not as if Rousey and Holm are all that pretty when thier in fight mode anyway.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, atl falcon 89 said:

I think the fans could still get behind an unattractive female if she's a knockout machine. (Maybe not so much a submission artist) She wouldn't get the endorsements Rousey gets which is unfortunately the world we live in but fans I think would pay attention. Not as if Rousey and Holm are all that pretty when thier in fight mode anyway.

Chyna was pretty **** popular in pro wrestling. She wasn't attractive. She had a big rack though. 

19 minutes ago, pzummo said:

Chyna was pretty **** popular in pro wrestling. She wasn't attractive. She had a big rack though. 

Seemed like she broke alot of barriers though. Prior to her they were few and far between and legit ugly or so I've heard

53 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

That was too easy.  The 140 lbs weight class they made for her will be interesting.  Will Holms or Rousey move up the 5 lbs?  

Would you if you were them? **** no. I would be like, "*****, if you want me, come and get me. I'm sitting here at 135. I have no interest in gaining 5lbs. I need to watch my figure."

And as soon as Cyborg got down to 135lbs, I'd be like. "*****, I'm retired."

All joking aside, there's a reason why boxing made that restriction on how much fighters could gain between the weigh-in and the fight. She gained 20lbs overnight. That's about 15% of what she weighed in at. That's ridiculous and actually really dangerous having a 140lb fighter in the ring with someone that's 160lbs. 

2 hours ago, pzummo said:

Would you if you were them? **** no. I would be like, "*****, if you want me, come and get me. I'm sitting here at 135. I have no interest in gaining 5lbs. I need to watch my figure."

All joking aside, there's a reason why boxing made that restriction on how much fighters could gain between the weigh-in and the fight. She gained 20lbs overnight. That's about 15% of what she weighed in at. That's ridiculous and actually really dangerous having a 140lb fighter in the ring with someone that's 160lbs. 

That's why they made the 140 lbs weight class, because they know she can't get to 135 lbs, she has no body fat left to give.  Unless she starves herself which would probably make her to weak to fight at that weight.  

6 hours ago, pzummo said:

What restrictions did boxing come up with? Cause Canelo weighed 165 on fight night against Floyd. That was a fight that was for the 152 lb junior Middleweight limit. Canelo weighed in at 152 the night before the fight

1 hour ago, youngbloodz said:

What restrictions did boxing come up with? Cause Canelo weighed 165 on fight night against Floyd. That was a fight that was for the 152 lb junior Middleweight limit. Canelo weighed in at 152 the night before the fight

The IBF made a rule where you can't weigh more than 10lbs over the weight limit the day of the fight. Floyd generally doesn't fight with a belt anymore. If they are not a championship fight, they can do whatever is agreed in the contract. I'm not sure if the sanctioning bodies make exceptions to the weight clauses, but they do have the rule there and you won't qualify to win the belt for that weight class if you miss weight on the day of the fight. 

1 hour ago, pzummo said:

The IBF made a rule where you can't weigh more than 10lbs over the weight limit the day of the fight. Floyd generally doesn't fight with a belt anymore. If they are not a championship fight, they can do whatever is agreed in the contract. I'm not sure if the sanctioning bodies make exceptions to the weight clauses, but they do have the rule there and you won't qualify to win the belt for that weight class if you miss weight on the day of the fight. 

Floyd was fighting for a title that night. But it probably was in the contract they could do it

29 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Floyd was fighting for a title that night. But it probably was in the contract they could do it

It was. I looked it up and found this quote. It was part of their negotiations because Floyd's camp wanted a catch weight of 152lbs. Canelo agreed to fight 2lbs under without a restriction for the day of the fight. 

"Not only were lighter weights discussed, but Alvarez said the Mayweather camp wanted a day-of-fight weigh-in, after the Friday weigh-in, with a limit on how much weight the fighters could gain overnight.

Alvarez, who could enter the ring at 170 pounds or so by Saturday night, refused."

15 minutes ago, pzummo said:

It was. I looked it up and found this quote. It was part of their negotiations because Floyd's camp wanted a catch weight of 152lbs. Canelo agreed to fight 2lbs under without a restriction for the day of the fight. 

"Not only were lighter weights discussed, but Alvarez said the Mayweather camp wanted a day-of-fight weigh-in, after the Friday weigh-in, with a limit on how much weight the fighters could gain overnight.

Alvarez, who could enter the ring at 170 pounds or so by Saturday night, refused."

Got ya. Thanks

4 hours ago, The Legendary SB said:

They did not make a 140 pound weight class.  This was just a catch weight fight.  Leslie Smith was seemingly the only 135 pound fighter willing to fight Cyborg at 140.  She's either brave or stupid or both :)

Or option 3.  The UFC offered a purse for anyone willing to fight Cyborg that was more than she has made in her entire career.  I can't seem to find the purse numbers for UFC 198, but before this fight, Leslie earned $60,500 in her 15 prior UFC fights, total, $4k per fight.  

I think it's pretty pathetic they couldn't find a better opponent to take that fight.  Leslie was 2-2 in her last 4 fights, 5-5 in her last 10.  And she stepped up in weight to fight Cyborg after not being very successful against much smaller competition.  I hope she at least got paid well for it.

19 hours ago, pzummo said:

Or option 3.  The UFC offered a purse for anyone willing to fight Cyborg that was more than she has made in her entire career.  I can't seem to find the purse numbers for UFC 198, but before this fight, Leslie earned $60,500 in her 15 prior UFC fights, total, $4k per fight.  

I think it's pretty pathetic they couldn't find a better opponent to take that fight.  Leslie was 2-2 in her last 4 fights, 5-5 in her last 10.  And she stepped up in weight to fight Cyborg after not being very successful against much smaller competition.  I hope she at least got paid well for it.

Smith wanted a big fight and this certainly qualifies. Plus, her contract with the UFC expired after the Nakai bout and this earned her an extension for more money. Smith said she made $10,000 to show and $10,000 to win against Nakai. Against Cyborg, she'll get $25,000 to show and $35,000 if she wins.

Unless you are a Rousey the pay sucks.  

• 7 months later...
9 hours ago, atl falcon 89 said:

Rousey seems like she's going through a Tiger spell. Mentally and emotionally she's just a wreck. Might be time to hang it up before this situation gets worse although I'd love to have seen her end on a high note.

She's done. Last night went about as I expected it, though I figured Ronda would last at least a minute. You don't take an entire year off and go back to the same coach that has taken you away from everything that made you great then expect to beat a fighter like Amanda Nunes. 

Ronda's attitude plus Edmund have destroyed her as a fighter. The worst thing to happen to her (other than darkening the door of the Glendale Fight Club) was knocking out Bethe Correia. That put it in her mind that she was this elite striker when in truth, her defense and footwork was awful. And Edmund encouraged that with more bad habits and taking her away from what made her great to begin with. 

On 1/1/2017 at 3:41 PM, The Legendary SB said:

News flash, Rhonda was never the best female MMA fighter, she's a one trick pony (judo / arm bar) who had her matches carefully selected by Dana White and was propped up as a money making face of women's MMA.  She's been exposed now.  She's never been in Cyborg's league and has foolishly tried to strike with 2 superior strikers her last 2 matches.  Stick to judo Rhonda, you're not a kickboxer.  

Cyborg is probably not going to be in any league for a while. She just pissed hot.....again. And after the UFC made a 145 pound division just for her. 

I agree that Ronda has gone away from most everything that's made her what she was and she's most likely done. But no one is trying hear anything about Cyborg now that she's a two-time steroid loser. 

If Ronda wants to fight still, at the very least she needs to change camps.  Her current camp isn't helping her, and IMHO is actively hurting her. 

She's convinced herself she has a viable standup game.  She doesn't.  She either needs to develop one or stop trying to stand up with KO artists.