Ufc Rousey Vs Holm Tonight...

Leon Troutsky

And no, Holm won't have the same pressure to fight Cyborg, because she doesn't carry herself like she's God's greatest gift to sports. Holm actually has an ounce of humility, and isn't a complete caricature outside of the ring.

Then it sounds like your problem is more with Rousey's personality than in who she's fought. That's an entirely different discussion.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course the UFC wouldn't allow her to fight Cyborg. Rousey undoubtedly losing to an actual MMA fighter would have killed the cash cow and ended the inflated legend of Ronda. Now that she got knocked out by a boxer with as much MMA experience as CM Punk, she'll quietly transition to exclusive bikini spreads and box office flops. Maybe they'll try to resurrect the man behind the curtain by throwing her another no name loud mouth who doesn't know how to properly throw a punch, let alone defend a basic hip toss.

And that boxer may very well get beat by someone Ronda has dominated twice. Styles make fights.

It's both actually, which is why this whole thing is beautiful. Ronda Rousey is an unlikable person. Her criticism of Tate was mostly undeserved, and Rousey was generally a talented fighter but thoroughly obnoxious. If this ultimately leads to the rise of Meisha Tate, that would be awesome.

Ronda had a single-minded pride-driven dumb focus to strike with Holm. Go watch previous fights when Rousey was happy to settle with a submission, and it looks a lot different from this BS Ronda was participating in tonight. She was exposed.

She wasn't trying to box with Holm. Holm did what great boxers do and controlled the distance. Ronda wanted nothing more than to clinch with her and work for a submission but Holly wasn't allowing it. She kept circling and Ronda obliged her by chasing her in a straight line so Holly could keep throwing her left.

So with Rousey being this nationally renowned Judoka, why didn't she use the one thing she's good at and get Holm to the ground? I'm a Judo blue belt, and can tell you that there was at least 10 instances where Rousey could have implemented a clean throw. Her arrogance killed her in the same way that Silva's arrogance led to Weidman's knockout. Everybody was screaming how invincible she was, and the scary thing is, she actually started to believe it.

She tried. As I said above, I thought that Rousey's game plan was as bad as you could devise against a boxer. I'm not going to comment on what she was thinking because neither of us know that. Holm presented a skill set that Rousey had never seen before and it showed. It's not as simple as just running in and throwing her down. In MMA there's the small matter of being punched, kicked, kneed and elbowed in the face that you don't have to worry about in judo.

Of course the UFC wouldn't allow her to fight Cyborg. Rousey undoubtedly losing to an actual MMA fighter would have killed the cash cow and ended the inflated legend of Ronda. Now that she got knocked out by a boxer with as much MMA experience as CM Punk, she'll quietly transition to exclusive bikini spreads and box office flops. Maybe they'll try to resurrect the man behind the curtain by throwing her another no name loud mouth who doesn't know how to properly throw a punch, let alone defend a basic hip toss.

And you still haven't told me who she was supposed to fight.

The notion that Rousey should have moved up in weight to fight Cyborg is ridiculous. Sorry. No other fighter in history is held to that standard.

"You must beat everyone in your division AND go up in weight to face bigger opponents or you're a fraud." I find it hard to believe that's being offered as a serious argument.

I also have to say that there was something hokey about the whole lead up to this fight. Rousey going mental about the weigh-in photo op, for example. She accused Holm of a "cheap shot" for putting her fist in Rousey's face. But if you watch the video, Rousey is the one who puts her fist in Holm's face, and Holm responds in kind. Then Rousey freaks out about how Holm is "fake humility" and so forth.

It just had a fake, hokey feel to it. Not saying it was staged, just saying there was something odd leading up to this fight. Almost as though Rousey was more interested in manufacturing drama and attention than in the fight itself.

It would actually be a catchweight. And you're dead wrong about no other fighter in history having that standard. Anderson Silva is the most obvious example. BJ Penn as well.

Does Rousey have to move up to the catchweight or not?

Who said Silva and Penn were frauds if they didn't?

Cyborg would have done the same to Rousey. Anyways I'm glad Rousey went down, hopefully this shuts her big smug mouth up. It's up to Holm whether she fights Cyborg at 140. At least Holm isn't calling out Cyborg then hiding behind Dana White like Rousey was, at least not yet.

Rousey losing was the absolute worst thing for Cyborg. If she would have done the same thing to Rousey then she should have cut the weight and done it. Now she's missed the opportunity for the biggest payday she would ever see.

And it's not up to Holm. Dana and Co are going to tell her who she's fighting.

It would actually be a catchweight. And you're dead wrong about no other fighter in history having that standard. Anderson Silva is the most obvious example. BJ Penn as well.

No one would have ever have called either one of those guys frauds if they had not taken those fights. It's funny how the rules are different for Rousey.

The Rousey/Cyborg fight was never going to happen, Dana wouldn't let it. Even if Cyborg made 135 there would be another excuse. Rousey losing is good for Cyborg.

And regarding your second point, UFC wouldn't force Holm to fight at 140 but Holm could request it if she wanted to. That said Holm doesn't have to since she is not calling anyone out from a different weight class.

There's alot of groundless speculation that you're throwing about. I'm sure you can provide some evidence that the UFC would never allow Cyborg to fight Rousey, right?

Oh, what am I talking about? It's Steve. His reputation for not being patently and demonstrably wrong about anything is well known here, right?

I also have to say that there was something hokey about the whole lead up to this fight. Rousey going mental about the weigh-in photo op, for example. She accused Holm of a "cheap shot" for putting her fist in Rousey's face. But if you watch the video, Rousey is the one who puts her fist in Holm's face, and Holm responds in kind. Then Rousey freaks out about how Holm is "fake humility" and so forth.

It just had a fake, hokey feel to it. Not saying it was staged, just saying there was something odd leading up to this fight. Almost as though Rousey was more interested in manufacturing drama and attention than in the fight itself.

90 percent of the confrontations that you see at weigh ins are contrived. That one was particularly poorly done. Manufacturing drama is all part of selling a fight. That's been part of the deal since people first started paying to watch two people fight.

Rousey originally moved from 145 to 135 to avoid Cyborg. She's been ducking Cyborg since forever. That wasn't about to change.

WTF are you talking about???

Rousey moved to Bantamweight for her March 3, 2012 fight.

Cyborg tested positive for steroids in January 2012 and was stripped of her title. She didn't return to fighting until April 2013, more than a year later. Why would Rousey "duck" someone who wasn't going to be in the competition for several years anyway? And by the time Cyborg returned, Rousey was already in the UFC.

The more likely answer is that Rousey always had her sites on the UFC, which doesn't have a featherweight division. So she switched with an eye towards the big leagues instead of remaining in Strikeforce.

90 percent of the confrontations that you see at weigh ins are contrived. That one was particularly poorly done. Manufacturing drama is all part of selling a fight. That's been part of the deal since people first started paying to watch two people fight.

Yeah, but this was more hokey and fake than usual. And it wasn't the confrontation at the weigh in, but rather Rousey losing her mind afterwards with the Twitter, that made the whole thing seem fabricated. I don't know, seems like Rousey might have been thinking ahead to other career avenues (like WWE or movies) that pay more, and didn't focus enough on this particular fight.

Bottom line is the landscape has changed after last night:

• Cyborg Santos has been the 145 champ for 2 and a half years
  • Holly Holm has been the 135 champ for 1 day
  • Rousey is now the #1 contender at 135 who just lost
That pretty much makes Cyborg Santos the best female MMA fighter in the world at the moment.

And no one knows who she is. If she had dropped the weight and beaten Ronda, then she would have all of that along with the notoriety and money.

Sure, she can beat her chest and claim she's the best and may even be right. But no one is going to care because she didn't beat Ronda Rousey. All of that is going to Holly Holm now. That's why this is bad for Cyborg.

Yeah, but this was more hokey and fake than usual. And it wasn't the confrontation at the weigh in, but rather Rousey losing her mind afterwards with the Twitter, that made the whole thing seem fabricated. I don't know, seems like Rousey might have been thinking ahead to other career avenues (like WWE or movies) that pay more, and didn't focus enough on this particular fight.

I don't think focus was her problem, it was Holm and her style. Rousey had never fought anyone remotely like her and it showed. She was very poorly prepared from a strategic standpoint while Holm's game plan was perfectly executed.

That's why I think that it's a bit of an insult to Holm by comparing her to Buster Douglas. The circumstances between the two couldn't be any different. Tyson was so disinterested that he lost to a journeyman. Rousey was focused and ready to fight, but Holm was just the better fighter with the better fight plan last night.

I don't think focus was her problem, it was Holm and her style. Rousey had never fought anyone remotely like her and it showed. She was very poorly prepared from a strategic standpoint while Holm's game plan was perfectly executed.

That's why I think that it's a bit of an insult to Holm by comparing her to Buster Douglas. The circumstances between the two couldn't be any different. Tyson was so disinterested that he lost to a journeyman. Rousey was focused and ready to fight, but Holm was just the better fighter with the better fight plan last night.

That could be. But you can't deny that Rousey is involved with a lot more non-MMA related things than she was during her previous fights. Maybe some combination of the two?

I definitely see your point about style and the matchup. Wasn't trying to denigrate Holm, just saying that Rousey didn't seem as focused as she has in the past.