Ufc Rousey Vs Holm Tonight...

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't pay any amount of money to see Ronda Rousey fight. Not because I don't like her, but because the dollar-for-value ration is horribly skewed.

I wouldn't pay anything for any UFC fight.

I watched the new 30 for 30 on Tyaon and Holyfield's years-long rivalry. I miss boxing. I realize it still exists, but not like that.

Anyone watching? Rousey is the obvious overwhelming favorite, but I wonder if Rousey won't have a Buster Douglas type moment sometime in her career. Just the laws of probability say that even the best champ is going to get snuck up on at least once in their career.

The reason for the original Buster Douglas moment was because Tyson literally was not training plus was doing copious amounts of drugs and alcohol by his own admission. I don't see Ronda rolling like that.

But this is an interesting fight. Holm is clearly the underdog, but she's a live underdog. Ronda has shown that she can be hit coming in, it's only a question of Holm can hit hard enough to hurt her. If she can't Ronda will eventually close the distance, clinch her, dump her on her head and that's all she wrote.

The reason for the original Buster Douglas moment was because Tyson literally was not training plus was doing copious amounts of drugs and alcohol by his own admission. I don't see Ronda rolling like that.

But this is an interesting fight. Holm is clearly the underdog, but she's a live underdog. Ronda has shown that she can be hit coming in, it's only a question of Holm can hit hard enough to hurt her. If she can't Ronda will eventually close the distance, clinch her, dump her on her head and that's all she wrote.

The Buster Douglas moment just meant a challenger that sneaks up on a champion and catches them unaware. Obviously Rousey isn't using drugs or alcohol. But she is committed to a lot of different things simultaneously - movies, commercials, training for fight, etc. Not saying that it's this fight, just saying that this is about the time in a champion's career where they can get distracted by things other than their opponent, which is dangerous in a sport like the UFC.

That said, if I were betting then I'd **** sure put money on Rousey this fight.

The Buster Douglas moment just meant a challenger that sneaks up on a champion and catches them unaware. Obviously Rousey isn't using drugs or alcohol. But she is committed to a lot of different things simultaneously - movies, commercials, training for fight, etc. Not saying that it's this fight, just saying that this is about the time in a champion's career where they can get distracted by things other than their opponent, which is dangerous in a sport like the UFC.

That said, if I were betting then I'd **** sure put money on Rousey this fight.

Value wise, the better bet is Holm. You would have to bet $1200 on Ronda to win $100 right now.

Anyone watching? Rousey is the obvious overwhelming favorite, but I wonder if Rousey won't have a Buster Douglas type moment sometime in her career. Just the laws of probability say that even the best champ is going to get snuck up on at least once in their career.

Way to call your shot! I was reminded of Tyson/Douglas tonight. Interesting that 30 for 30 just came on.

"Literally" is one of the most overused words in the English Dictionary, so I don't say this lightly. Ronda Rousey is literally the most overrated athlete (not just fighter) of this generation. She's spent the last few years fighting gas station attendants off the street with zero MMA experience. She just got annihilated by an exclusive boxer with a bare cupboard of martial arts.

She's done for. The legend is over. Tyson was able to redeem himself by beating other elite heavyweights. There is nothing for Rousey. The curtain has been pulled back, and the whole world knows it.

Styles make fights and Holm's style was perfect for what Rousey likes to do. As I said, Rousey has shown that she will be there to get hit coming in and Holm was finally the one with the skill set to capitalize on that. Holm could very well get beasted in her first title defense against a strong wrestler with a great submission game like Meisha Tate or Amanda Nunes. Styles make fights.

I hate how when a fighter loses, they are all of a sudden garbage now and forever. Rousey is still a great fighter. She's the only American to ever win an Olympic medal in judo. I wish I could express just how hard that is. She was not a fraud or a manufactured champion. She beat every woman put in front of her quite convincingly until tonight. She lost tonight, but that doesn't undo or invalidate what's she's accomplished.

I've been saying she's overrated since she first fought Tate. She got annihilated tonight by a boxer who has looked sluggish in her last few fights. She's manhandled fighters in an embarrassing division, and the hype train has been built accordingly. She's the Kimbo Slice of women's martial arts.

Is she a great Judoka? Absolutely. Some of the best male Judo practitioners in the world have attempted to transition to MMA with zero success whatsoever. Royler Gracie is unbelievable at BJJ, but terrible at mixed martial arts. James Toney was an elite heavyweight boxer, but couldn't last 90 seconds in MMA. Mastering one specific martial art is fantastic, but you need more to maintain dominance. Hopefully now we have a champion who won't dodge the best women's fighter in the world.

So you think Holm should have to move up in weight to fight Cyborg? Will she be a fraud too when she refuses?

And ban me if you like, but comparing Rousey's skill set to a Kimbo Slice may be one of the dumbest things I have read here. And that includes Snak and Green Ranger's posts.

Why would I ban you for that? It's not a literal pound-for-pound comparison, but they're both overrated frauds who were exposed in front of the world. I actually think Kimbo fought more talented fighters on the side of the road than some of the quacks Dana White threw Rousey. Bethe Correia?

Who else was she going to fight? Keeping in mind that the UFC was not going to allow her to fight a proven steroid user at a non-existent catchweight.

She cleaned out the division. You seem to think there is this secret trove of bad azz women fighters being hidden somewhere that Ronda was avoiding. Women's MMA is in its infancy and the talent pool is pretty shallow. Ronda fought the best in her weight class. What else was she supposed to do?