Great Read From Espn About Our Offense

KRUNKuno

Falcons offense going nowhere fast

Quinn's not happy with back-to-back losses

Vaughn McClure, ESPN Staff Writer

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The explanations continue to sound repetitive, but the solutions have yet to be found.

An Atlanta Falcons offense expected to carry the team this season while the defense found its way is suddenly lost in the wilderness. A team boasting arguably the league's top receiver in Julio Jonesand maybe the league's most surprising player in running back Devonta Freemanhasn't scored more than 20 points in three straight games. And franchise quarterback Matt Ryan doesn't look like a $100 million player.

And on Sunday against the San Francisco 49ers, a team ESPN NFL Nation reporter Paul Gutierrez said resembled an NFL Europe roster with three top cornerbacks out, the Falcons looked like they didn't know what in the world they were doing. But the world certainly knew what they were doing with a suddenly predictable offense.

Falcons right tackle Ryan Schraeder even admitted the 49ers "figured us out." Considering how Atlanta offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan has been praised for his brilliance, that shouldn't be the case.

So how do the Falcons, losers of three of their last four games while averaging just 16.8 points per game in those contests, resolve their offensive issues? Veteran receiver Roddy White think he knows the answer.

"I think we just have to play a little bit faster," White said. "We have to up-tempo the ball, get up to the line of scrimmage, run plays and not let the defense dictate what we do on offense, but we dictate what they do on defense."

White, who has not been called upon much this season, noted how stagnant the Falcons have been offensively over the last five or six quarters. But it's been a little longer than that. They are 4 of 11 in the red zone over the last four games. And slow starts don't help, with the Falcons not scoring a first-quarter touchdown since Week 4 against Houston.

"We're playing methodical football," White said. "Everything looks slow. The tempo's not up. You know what I'm saying? We've got to get ourselves in a groove. And I keep telling people we need to play ourselves into a groove, but we're not doing that.

"One drive, we go out there and we play fast and we go down there right before the half and score a touchdown when we feel the pressure is on. And then we just come back out and be methodical and we run the ball and we throw the ball, then we have incomplete passes, a miss here or there, and then third-and-long. When you get in those situations, they just drop back and play zone, rush three people and tackle you before you get to the sticks. That's just NFL football. You've got to stay ahead of the chains. And if you don't, it's an easy way to get beat every week."

At least the bye week will give the players a chance to reflect and make adjustments.

"I think any time you don't play up to your standards, we're all going to evaluate what we need to do differently," Ryan said. "But from a playcalling standpoint, I thought Kyle called a good game. From a player's perspective, we've got to make it work, and that's always the mindset that I have."

Ryan was asked about White insisting the offense needs to play faster and when that will actually happen.

"I think it gets done during the bye week," Ryan said. "We have the opportunity to be critical and self-evaluate and find out what we're doing well because I think there are a lot of things we've done well. It's been nine weeks. We also need to find out what we're not doing well and either change what you're doing or just trying to get better at those things.

"I think it will be a good opportunity for us, without having a game plan, to take a look at what we do and try and improve."

With two games against undefeated NFC South leader Carolina and its suffocating defense still on the schedule, the Falcons better improve fast.

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/17316/falcons-offense-going-nowhere-fast

I think this article sums it all up. It shows the type of quarterback Ryan is. Ryan is going to run what is called and puts it on the offense to execute. Schraeder says it plain and simple that this Shanahan offense has been "figured out".

If the Niners can figure out our offense, think about what a team like Carolina and their defense will do. We may not score at all against them.

Well every offense Ryan has been in has become predictable at some point...oops.

So every other offense in the nfl changes its scheme every week to keep'em guessing. It's coaching...oops. The good oc's knows how to change things up with in the system he created to lead his offense to success.

Of all the huge disappointments of this season ~ still no pass rush, still can't stop anybody in the clutch, etc., the pathetic performance of our offense under Shanahan is the worst. Our offense was supposed to carry this team while the Defense was putting things together. Instead we have a dumpster fire and even the worst teams in the league are shutting down this offense. Something has got to give, and it better be Shanahan's bull-headed stubbornness along with his miserable game planning and play calling.

This a perfect example of be careful of what you wish for. We got a new HC, OC & DC. We brought these guys in to fix the defense and tweak the offense--not sink it. Shanahan is looking rather amateurish as an OC with a team that had no problems moving the ball on our opponents. Now the entire offense looks out of sync and lost when it comes to countering what defenses are doing. That's on the OC. Defense is what it is and won't get fixed until we get better talent. Our defensive starters are really backups and should not be starting.

Quinn should approach Shanahan and tell him to sometimes hand the reigns over to Ryan and go uptempo, no huddle. Boy genius looked good when there was no film and teams didn't really know what the Falcons would do but now it's all figured out and defenses are just dictating where Ryan throw the ball. Falcons look best in uptempo and having defenses trying to catch their breath and making mistakes.

This is Shanahan just being Shanahan. I fully expect no changes from him and for him to be fired this offseason if Quinn knows what's good for him. I'll be pleasantly shocked if he makes some post bye-week changes.

If they really want this season to turn around the only answer is to fire Shanahan. His ego is too big he has too much pride to see himself as the problem.

This a perfect example of be careful of what you wish for. We got a new HC, OC & DC. We brought these guys in to fix the defense and tweak the offense--not sink it. Shanahan is looking rather amateurish as an OC with a team that had no problems moving the ball on our opponents. Now the entire offense looks out of sync and lost when it comes to countering what defenses are doing. That's on the OC. Defense is what it is and won't get fixed until we get better talent. Our defensive starters are really backups and should not be starting.

I just wish for a standard set of coaches - last year we had to have the bizzaro DC in Nolan who turned our defense into something that could not stop runs and had Worrilow playing Safety and Biermann somehow being the main tackler on every play.

This year we seem to have a standard defense that may lack talent or experience at some positions but is still standard, but our offense which was great last year has become predictable and only uses 1 wide receiver.

Why can we not get both the OC and DC normal at the same time?

I'm over Shanahan.

If I could tell every time we were going to run the ball from my living room, you can bet your sweet *** that Navorro Bowman knew every time we were going to run the ball, too.

I don't know what happened to the Shanahan offense from the first 4 weeks, but it has been ugly as **** to watch ever since the Washington game.

Why is it so crystal clear to everyone except Shanny? If he continues to ignore the obvious and comes out after the break with the same old lame crap he's run for over a month, then he should be terminated on the spot.

Does anyone in their right mind believe that if MR was running the offense in San Francisco, that we'd have gotten the same results? Of course not.

Of all the huge disappointments of this season ~ still no pass rush, still can't stop anybody in the clutch, etc., the pathetic performance of our offense under Shanahan is the worst. Our offense was supposed to carry this team while the Defense was putting things together. Instead we have a dumpster fire and even the worst teams in the league are shutting down this offense. Something has got to give, and it better be Shanahan's bull-headed stubbornness along with his miserable game planning and play calling.

Apparently we have to be patience and wait 2-3, maybe 10 years before we get to see Shannahan's brillsnce

Guest Dirty Bird Nation ®

Well Ryan has been making piss poor throws lately, but besides that it could be because we literally have 4 pass plays:

Slant to Julio, Screen to Julio, Throw to Julio in triple coverage, Dump to Freeman,