Ok, My Take On What's Going On.

Oldskooler

This is not a time to panic. That time was a couple of weeks ago in New Orleans. Now is the time for a fair, reasonable assessment.

Coaching: Quinn's rookieness os showing. He has been too inflexible. He is unwilling to alter his system to blitz despite our lack of a pass rush. He has, however, handled the time clock and challenges well. Shanahan has seemed to go away from what works too often. Despite Freeman's running with authority and the line run blocking better than pass blocking, we almost always pass on short-yardage downs.

Offense: the line is run blocking well, but pass blocking like nervous schoolgirls. Freeman has far expectations. Matt Ryan has been up and down, but has been far better than most QB's transitioning to a WCO. Julio has been limited by a nagging hamstring, and the other wide receivers have not sufficiently stepped up. Tamme has been a very pleasant surprise, as has Toilolo as a blocker.

Defense: can't rush the passer, can't cover the middle of the field. Rush defense uas been generally excellent, with surprising and ill-timed breakdowns. And as I have said, Beasley HAS to get his weight up to the 255 pound area, improve his technique (which should be expected of any rookie), and realize that every single down is important, and that his teammates and fans deserve his maximum effort on every single snap.

Conclusion: I stand by my pre-season prediction. Next year is when we will really see dividends. This year gave us a tease, but we are not ready yet. We are on the right track. Both the players and the coaches will gain experience in the new systems and with each other.

I do not expect many more wins this season. Too many holes, too many weaknesses, too little experience in too many critical areas, including the coaches. If we lose to the Stains again I WILL lose my ever-freaking mind again, but other than that, this year is a year that should be viewed as one dedicated to laying a solid foundation.

This is not a time to panic. That time was a couple of weeks ago in New Orleans. Now is the time for a fair, reasonable assessment.

Coaching: Quinn's rookieness os showing. He has been too inflexible. He is unwilling to alter his system to blitz despite our lack of a pass rush. He has, however, handled the time clock and challenges well. Shanahan has seemed to go away from what works too often. Despite Freeman's running with authority and the line run blocking better than pass blocking, we almost always pass on short-yardage downs.

Offense: the line is run blocking well, but pass blocking like nervous schoolgirls. Freeman has far expectations. Matt Ryan has been up and down, but has been far better than most QB's transitioning to a WCO. Julio has been limited by a nagging hamstring, and the other wide receivers have not sufficiently stepped up. Tamme has been a very pleasant surprise, as has Toilolo as a blocker.

Defense: can't rush the passer, can't cover the middle of the field. Rush defense uas been generally excellent, with surprising and ill-timed breakdowns. And as I have said, Beasley HAS to get his weight up to the 255 pound area, improve his technique (which should be expected of any rookie), and realize that every single down is important, and that his teammates and fans deserve his maximum effort on every single snap.

Conclusion: I stand by my pre-season prediction. Next year is when we will really see dividends. This year gave us a tease, but we are not ready yet. We are on the right track. Both the players and the coaches will gain experience in the new systems and with each other.

I do not expect many more wins this season. Too many holes, too many weaknesses, too little experience in too many critical areas, including the coaches. If we lose to the Stains again I WILL lose my ever-freaking mind again, but other than that, this year is a year that should be viewed as one dedicated to laying a solid foundation.

I agree. My projection for this season was 8-8. It is clear that we will have a better result. However, Quinn is a rookie and he needs to learn quickly. His team has established a trend of poor discipline and poor ball security. It is time to fix what can be fixed.

"....Conclusion: I stand by my pre-season prediction. Next year is when we will really see dividends. This year gave us a tease, but we are not ready yet. We are on the right track. Both the players and the coaches will gain experience in the new systems and with each other. .."

I sure hope this is for real. I believe we have incredible talent, all over the field. Mat Ryan is in his 7th yr, we finally have two solid running backs and a full back that can open up all kinds of possibilities, Roddy, Babs, and others are nearing the end of their opportunities. My point is that if this is truly a game of inches it's also a game of seizing small windows of opportunity. At 6-2 we are well positioned in that window. This team has the individual ingredients to go all the way- I just don't know if the rookie head coach is willing to put it all on the line to help them get there. Think about it. Playoff contender is a tough act to follow. DQ will be a success as you suggest in the eyes of many fans if he goes 9-7 this year and fails in qualifying for a wild card berth rather than loosing in the 1st round and being 10-6. In 2008 we waited for 2012 and it was a slide back down the hill from there. I believe we have the bast talent in the NFL and we can get there in 2015 if we are hungrier than the rest. ATL fans should fill the Dome with higher expectations...for 2015 not 2016.

We could still have 2 0r 3 losses and still make the playoffs.

The key is how we are going to play in November and December.

Not a good start for the month. But, all miscues are correctable.

I firmly believe if we get more FP during the week for areas concerned don't think we can be stopped except Panthers.

I'm really impressed by our defense ...and more positive indicator is we are NOT being blown out by anyone ......we in the games till the game that shows the grit of this team which we never had under Smitty regime.

We are all have to be patient and just cross our fingers there are no further injuries going forward.

We could still have 2 0r 3 losses and still make the playoffs.

The key is how we are going to play in November and December.

Not a good start for the month. But, all miscues are correctable.

I firmly believe if we get more FP during the week for areas concerned don't think we can be stopped except Panthers.

I'm really impressed by our defense ...and more positive indicator is we are NOT being blown out by anyone ......we in the games till the game that shows the grit of this team which we never had under Smitty regime.

We are all have to be patient and just cross our fingers there are no further injuries going forward.

As far as no being blown out by teams, what team would you say that we have played has a good offense besides the Aints?

Great perspective. In all honesty, who thought at this point the Falcons would be 6-2? They are playing really well given the previous two years. This being said, I don't think that you change a 30 year olds complete offensive scheme. It's just too much when he was a top 10 QB. WCO should have never came here, IMO...

Edited by Passprotection

Great perspective. In all honesty, who thought at this point the Falcons would be 6-2? They are playing really well give the previous two years. This being said, I don't think that you change a 30 year olds complete offensive scheme. It's just too much when he was a top 10 QD in nearly every as a pro. WCO should have never came here, IMO...

I disagree. The transitional pains will pay off. Ryan's skill set is perfectly suited to the WCO. Next year he should have the hang of it.

We just aren't good. We haven't played a good team and it's been a struggle in all but one game

Whatever

At the time of playing these teams they were good and eveyone pick them to beat us

Eagles

Giants

Cowboys

Texans

Saints

And we went four for five

Now

Titans

Redskins

Bucs

Young talented teams with something to prove against good teams

Mettenberger- this use to be my job

Cousins- I should have been had this job

Winston- show that I belong here

This is being done with a new coach staff and system.

Whatever

At the time of playing these teams they were good and eveyone pick them to beat us

Eagles

Giants

Cowboys

Texans

Saints

And we went four for five

Now

Titans

Redskins

Bucs

Young talented teams with something to prove against good teams

Mettenberger- this use to be my job

Cousins- I should have been had this job

Winston- show that I belong here

This is being done with a new coach staff and system.

4 backup QB's.

1 rookie QB.

1 old and injured QB.

1 QB/coach combo who couldn't manage a clock if their lives depended upon it.

1 QB in his first game action in an entirely new offensive system.

Three teams missing multiple secondary starters.

One team missing its #1 WR, #1 CB, both starting DE's and one backup DE.

One team missing its starting LT, and lost its #2 LT in the first quarter.

We've played patsies and MASH units and horrible teams. Other than Houston, we struggled to win, or we lost.

there had been a number of teams that reached conference championship and Superbowls that looked hopelessly pedestrian mid-season. NY Giants,Green Bay Packers, and Baltimore to name a few. The Falcons were the better team in the 2 losses. They just beat themselves with mistakes and turn over. It's a matter of cleaning up the stupid mistakes. With a team full of veterans, you have to trust that the team will clean up the sloppiness and get back on track. The most important thing is to get hot in December and go on the run.

there had been a number of teams that reached conference championship and Superbowls that looked hopelessly pedestrian mid-season. NY Giants,Green Bay Packers, and Baltimore to name a few. The Falcons were the better team in the 2 losses. They just beat themselves with mistakes and turn over. It's a matter of cleaning up the stupid mistakes. With a team full of veterans, you have to trust that the team will clean up the sloppiness and get back on track. The most important thing is to get hot in December and go on the run.

Very true, but with the way we're playing right now we gotta start like now because of this division and can't rely on Dec. These next few are soo crucial it can't be underestimated.

100% agree. We just have to get hot at the right time.

I don't know what's worse; Alabama football fans complaining that they only beat teams by 30, or Falcons fans overreacting to everything.

With how this team has played, why is anyone really the surprised as to how badly today went? Have you people not grown to expect disappointment from the Falcons?