Your 2015 Atlanta Falcons - Major Suckage

You mean how the Patriots beat the 4-3 Steelers, 3-4 Bills, 3-4 Colts, and 4-2 Jets all by only 1 possession?

Or how the Packers beat the 2-4 Bears? Or how about the 2-5 Chargers by 1 possession after Rivers threw for over 500 yards against them?

Allow me to clarify. I want to the Falcons to win like the Packers and Patriots win, season after season.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. But after reading the same thing again and again, doesn't it get old? Threads about Shanahan, Hankerson, Ryan, Roddy, Moore, Beasley, Worrilow, et.al are understandable. But at the point that the only thing on the front page are posts that look like they were written for Pewter Report, it makes me wonder if we're overreacting.

Admit it: If the posts were written by posters named 'SuperCam', 'KoolBreezy', or 'FamousJameisWins', the posters would be blasted out of the water for being trolls. But because they're written by familiar names, they thrive. If we're cool with AFMB posting threads about how horrible we are, why should we have an issue with visitors doing the same thing?

Of course you are right but the difference between me or any other Falcons fan and "SuperCam" is what matters.

I am aware that some fans go through the roof with some criticism but many have valid complains... especially about repeating patterns. Watching something not working again and again is very frustrating... and a real fan is hurting and has to vent it out.

Some do it better than others. Some are more rational than others. But in the end, all want the same and thats a Lombardi trophy.

And to add to it, I am on this board (and the one before) for 15 years and things have been so much worse in the past. Do Falcons fans have some collective neurosis? Yeah sure we do but at least we are a collective at being so... that a huge step foreard from the YKW days when half the fan base was not even interested in the other 52 guys and would have taken a YKW pro bowl nomination over a Lombardi any day.

A common theme the last few weeks are how bad we are and how our record is the result of barely beating bad teams. All of the angsty anti-Falcons news had me depressed, so I had three choices to make myself feel better: 1) Drink 2) Crunch numbers, or 3) Drink and crunch numbers. I chose option #2 because my wife hid the vodka. Here's what I found out:

(FYI: There are only 11 teams who have a winning record right now ranging from the five undefeated squads to the Giants, who are now 4-3. I decided to spend my time digging into the teams that are 4-2 and better.)

• We have the third best strength of schedule season to date. All of those 'we haven't played anybody' posts are spot on. But they're also spot on for all of the 'good' teams.
  • Only seven games played by the top nine teams were against teams with winning records. The G-Men just went over the hump, so we beat one of them. The quality of the league this year blows.
  • We are third in scoring; our defense currently ranks 13th for points allowed per game. Even with a 10 point output (victory, BTW), we have what constitutes a pretty good offense statistically.
  • We have the third most touchdowns per game. We scored more touchdowns than the Pack and Panthers, two undefeated teams who have played a weaker schedule than we have.
  • We are tied for seventh in scoring differential. Again, except for a 'play standing' as incorrectly called (Julio's touchdown against the Titans), we'd be firmly in seventh place.
  • Only New England has played two games against teams currently with winning records and neither the Pack, Panties, and Bengals have even played against any team that has a winning record.
In summary:

All things being equal, I suppose perception is reality for some, so we clearly suck. But so do almost all of the other teams in the league, even the undefeated ones. I'm aware that statistics are for losers. And yet, we're 6-1.

Don't get me wrong; we have only played well in spurts (first half vs Eagles, second half vs Giants & Cowboys, whole game vs Texans) and we've had really questionable efforts in spurts. Even letting Benjamin Watson have a career night, we lost that game because of an uncalled penalty on a blocked punt and two fumbles (one unforced) that stalled our momentum. (Or maybe it was Steve Gleason channeling the sympathy of Katrina, the Sea God. Beats me.)

We are not a great team, not by a long shot. We won't be a great team this year, trust me. Your eyes tell you this, your experience tells you this, your common sense tells you this, so accept it. But if you want to believe that we stink to high heaven, take a look at the general state of the league and you'll see that the odor permeates from the outside. In my opinion, if we can't be a great team, at least we can be a fun one.

Can't disagree with that...but some will

And to add to it, I am on this board (and the one before) for 15 years and things have been so much worse in the past. Do Falcons fans have some collective neurosis? Yeah sure we do but at least we are a collective at being so... that a huge step foreard from the YKW days when half the fan base was not even interested in the other 52 guys and would have taken a YKW pro bowl nomination over a Lombardi any day.

Of course we do. After 40 years of futility, we want to be the Alpha Dog and anything we see as weakness prevents it from happening. And since that role of one of perception, anything perceived as disrespect causes a reaction. Unless it comes from another fan.

As has been mentioned.....the mistakes, misques, blown assignments, tipped passes, dropped passes, out of sync offense at times, playcalling lately that looks like Shanny may be outsmarting himself instead of opposing defenses........this is extremely frustrating to watch especially 7 games into the season.

We have to understand playing the NFLs 4th best defense and 2nd best passing defense on the road IS going to be challenging for an offense. This gets lost when compiled with the Saints loss where on 3 days rest And on the road against division rival we looked flat and out schemed.

I assure you it is just as frustrating to me watching the the disharmony than it is anyone else on here. I do enter perspective into my calculus though, that is what tempers my frustration. Being 6-1 after making all these mistakes as we grow as a team together to me, when I step back and consider, is actually quite astonishing. If we clean up all the self induced problems we have faced most of this season, we should be in a position to be able to beat anyone come playoff time. The 6-1 record is a very big deal when considering the season so far. If for any reason we fizzle out which I think is unlikely, we'll be a lot closer to what my expectations were at beginning of preseason for our team.

As has been mentioned.....the mistakes, misques, blown assignments, tipped passes, dropped passes, out of sync offense at times, playcalling lately that looks like Shanny may be outsmarting himself instead of opposing defenses........this is extremely frustrating to watch especially 7 games into the season.

We have to understand playing the NFLs 4th best defense and 2nd best passing defense on the road IS going to be challenging for an offense. This gets lost when compiled with the Saints loss where on 3 days rest And on the road against division rival we looked flat and out schemed.

I assure you it is just as frustrating to me watching the the disharmony than it is anyone else on here. I do enter perspective into my calculus though, that is what tempers my frustration. Being 6-1 after making all these mistakes as we grow as a team together to me, when I step back and consider, is actually quite astonishing. If we clean up all the self induced problems we have faced most of this season, we should be in a position to be able to beat anyone come playoff time. The 6-1 record is a very big deal when considering the season so far. If for any reason we fizzle out which I think is unlikely, we'll be a lot closer to what my expectations were at beginning of preseason for our team.

I understand expectations and level of play but what number did you attach to it?

I had us going 10-6 this season

I understand expectations and level of play but what number did you attach to it?

I had us going 10-6 this season

I'm pretty sure at start of preseason I was thinking we'd go 9-7, then during/after preseason I thought we'd win 10 or 11 games.

We've won 6 games with 9 games remaining. If we flame out and go 3-6 the rest of the year we'd end up at 9-7. I think that is highly unlikely. I'm pretty sure we'll win minimum 5 of the next 9 and if we clean up some mistakes and get on a roll we could win 7 out of the next 9.

I think all the bad plays going on are a result of new Coaches all over the league including our team. I'm kind of amazed that we seem to be going backwards instead of forwards the last few games, Our FO has been pretty good the last year of seeing problems and fixing them. From a few things in this last game, We went backwards more than anytime this season. Some real head scratchers , I'm hoping they will stick to the basics of high percentage plays and not try to get cute.

What am I trying to say?? ................You run the ball when your first and goal on the 2 yard line !!!! reaction.gif

I'll take a pretty win over an ugly loss any day. Hopefully this team cleans some things up over the course of the season and goes into the playoffs ready. Only time will tell.

Good post OP, only thing I disagree with is that the Falcons can be a great football team this season. Regardless of what TATF thinks we're already a good one.

I'll take a pretty win over an ugly loss any day. Hopefully this team cleans some things up over the course of the season and goes into the playoffs ready. Only time will tell.

Good post OP, only thing I disagree with is that the Falcons can be a great football team this season. Regardless of what TATF thinks we're already a good one.

Well the last win was not pretty, that's what you call a ugly win ! But it is far better than a pretty lose. wink.png

What if we go 1-8?

Then I guess you'd be happy and still continuing to do your pseudo Dennis Miller Dane Cook Carlos Mencia my drunk uncle at my cousin's wedding routine.

Sorry Dennis Miller, you're funnier than that.

Sorry Dane Cook, you're funnier than that.

Sorry Carlos Mencia, you're funnier than that.

Great post! Only disagree with idea of not being great this year.

Giants fans thought the same thing early in the season of both of their SB runs. Ravens had a similar season with their team as far as looking less than pretty in their recent SB win.

The fact that our team fights hard ans strives to be better along with some of our cornerstones (Ryan, Jukio, Tru, Freeman) is enough to say we can be great this year.