Your 2015 Atlanta Falcons - Major Suckage

I agree with you Jay on several points and I'm glad someone made a post about this, because our fans seem to not pay attention to other teams actual numbers and only look at the record. We have had sloppy/unimpressive wins, but find me a team that doesn't have those.

Good teams find ways to win, and you said we can't be great, but I disagree with that statement. I think towards the end of the year we will start clicking and we will be a very good team. Remember, Quinn is still mixing and matching the DL, and on offense, they still aren't 100% familiar with the playbook plus our line is still gelling in a new ZBS. We should only get better barring any major injury.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest since'66

I've been reading alot on these boards about fans being slammed because they seemingly want "style points, blowouts when expected, pretty wins, mistake free, no penalties, no turnovers, etc." Well, I guess I am one of those fans to a certain degree. Obviously, this can't happen at a 100% level, but basically, all of those traits parallel championship teams of the past. I also don't care about win/loss records during the season. I take it as a game by game basis and look for improvements with the future in mind. As I hope coaches do. I'm not saying I know the answers, I'm just a lifetime falcon fan and this is how I approach their games. I respect how you guys look at the games too and appreciate your knowledge. I am just not a stat kind of guy though.

I actually do think we are a great team. What defines whether or not a team is great? In my opinion, a team that can win in a variety of ways makes a team great.

We can win running the ball, passing the ball, stopping the run, and/or stopping the pass. Yes, we give up a lot of yards passing, but we've lost 1 game because of not stopping the pass. In all of the others, we came up with INT's that helped us win the games.

We are top 10 in both rushing and passing, top 5 in total offense, and 4th in points per game (even after the Titans offensive debacle). That's an impressive balance that makes us very tough to defend.

We are #4 in rush defense, number 13 in scoring defense, #13 in total defense, and though we are 25th in passing yards allowed per game, we are top 10 in defensive QB Rating because of having the 6th most INT's and giving up the 7th least passing TD's.

Show me a team that doesn't have any holes, and I'll show you a team that is being over-hyped.

Guys I had much rather be 6-1 and "suck" than 1-6 and "really suck." We probably have one of the most pessimistic fan bases there is and some but not all of it is warranted. However, I can say with great confidence that there is few if any people on this board that saw us being 6-1 right now. We aren't the Patriots in the middle of another Super Bowl run. The naysayers act like we were supposed to be at this point this year and are bitching because of our lack of perfection in our own run to the Super Bowl. We have 10 weeks to continue to improve before the playoffs start. I like the way Quinn isn't sitting idle and is constantly looking to make this team better. Whatever happens for the rest of the year is a bonus for me. We will improve in our schemes and get better.

Yeah, I think these are good stats.

I think a lot of the people who are looking at the type of wins, just acknowledge that you're generally not going to win playoff games in this league without a pass rush. You're generally not going to win without time for your own quarterback to throw (and poor timing between QB/WR).

So, this looks like sort of a .500 team that happens to be 6-1.

For me, I'll take that. I knew the first half of the season was going to be getting used to systems. If they can sneak a few wins while that happens, great.

If our passing game gets in synch, we're a top 5 offense and a middle of the road D. That can win a championship.

If we also develop any pass rush (less likely) then we're a top 5 offense and a top 10 or so D. That's a Super Bowl favorite.

So, it's a bit ugly now, but a couple of positive changes could make the team way better...and one should happen.

To be fair, I have seen almost no one saying the Falcons 'stink'. And let's remember what this is: it's a fans' forum. Not a church. No one is required to agree with anyone else. Freedom doesn't exist so we can all be the same. It exists so we can all be whatever we dam well want.

I doubt the coaching staff are sitting around talking about how wonderful things are. They're probably doing what a lot of us are doing: trying to figure out how to improve.

Never cared about anything but wins

However I disagree with you when you say we're not a great team/won't be by a long shot. I see a team with a real solid defense overall, one that nobody can run against (#2). And an offense with a deadly rushing attack (#1) and the best receiver in the game. When Ryan gets comfortable in this scheme and plays like he's capable, being a great team is the floor

I think we're well on our way. Like Gritz said, I always expected this to be a 2-3 year rebuild and even though we're much better than most expected, we're only just beginning. Quinn and Piolitroff filled in a lot of gaps with one and two year contracts. That's going to present challenges with team depth next year and beyond (as well as only having five draft picks next year). The only team that looks 'great' to me is the Patriots so far and even they have played a sub .500 schedule.

I agree that it is still a work in progress... but that does not mean that - as a fan - I can't be mad at times about stuff like we have seen the last weeks.

As long as someone remains loyal to his team, he has always the right to complain, whine or whatever.

I agree. But after reading the same thing again and again, doesn't it get old? Threads about Shanahan, Hankerson, Ryan, Roddy, Moore, Beasley, Worrilow, et.al are understandable. But at the point that the only thing on the front page are posts that look like they were written for Pewter Report, it makes me wonder if we're overreacting.

Admit it: If the posts were written by posters named 'SuperCam', 'KoolBreezy', or 'FamousJameisWins', the posters would be blasted out of the water for being trolls. But because they're written by familiar names, they thrive. If we're cool with AFMB posting threads about how horrible we are, why should we have an issue with visitors doing the same thing?

I want the Falcons to win like the Packers & Patriots win.

You mean how the Patriots beat the 4-3 Steelers, 3-4 Bills, 3-4 Colts, and 4-2 Jets all by only 1 possession?

Or how the Packers beat the 2-4 Bears? Or how about the 2-5 Chargers by 1 possession after Rivers threw for over 500 yards against them?

A common theme the last few weeks are how bad we are and how our record is the result of barely beating bad teams. All of the angsty anti-Falcons news had me depressed, so I had three choices to make myself feel better: 1) Drink 2) Crunch numbers, or 3) Drink and crunch numbers. I chose option #2 because my wife hid the vodka. Here's what I found out:
(FYI: There are only 11 teams who have a winning record right now ranging from the five undefeated squads to the Giants, who are now 4-3. I decided to spend my time digging into the teams that are 4-2 and better.)
  • We have the third best strength of schedule season to date. All of those 'we haven't played anybody' posts are spot on. But they're also spot on for all of the 'good' teams.
  • Only seven games played by the top nine teams were against teams with winning records. The G-Men just went over the hump, so we beat one of them. The quality of the league this year blows.
  • We are third in scoring; our defense currently ranks 13th for points allowed per game. Even with a 10 point output (victory, BTW), we have what constitutes a pretty good offense statistically.
  • We have the third most touchdowns per game. We scored more touchdowns than the Pack and Panthers, two undefeated teams who have played a weaker schedule than we have.
  • We are tied for seventh in scoring differential. Again, except for a 'play standing' as incorrectly called (Julio's touchdown against the Titans), we'd be firmly in seventh place.
  • Only New England has played two games against teams currently with winning records and neither the Pack, Panties, and Bengals have even played against any team that has a winning record.
In summary:
All things being equal, I suppose perception is reality for some, so we clearly suck. But so do almost all of the other teams in the league, even the undefeated ones. I'm aware that statistics are for losers. And yet, we're 6-1.
Don't get me wrong; we have only played well in spurts (first half vs Eagles, second half vs Giants & Cowboys, whole game vs Texans) and we've had really questionable efforts in spurts. Even letting Benjamin Watson have a career night, we lost that game because of an uncalled penalty on a blocked punt and two fumbles (one unforced) that stalled our momentum. (Or maybe it was Steve Gleason channeling the sympathy of Katrina, the Sea God. Beats me.)
We are not a great team, not by a long shot. We won't be a great team this year, trust me. Your eyes tell you this, your experience tells you this, your common sense tells you this, so accept it. But if you want to believe that we stink to high heaven, take a look at the general state of the league and you'll see that the odor permeates from the outside. In my opinion, if we can't be a great team, at least we can be a fun one.

Fun and winning is all I've ever asked for...maybe one day the football Gods will smile down upon us and grant us a SB victory!

For the record, we have the 7th most net points in the entire league. Net points is the difference between points for and points against. This means we have the 7th best point differential in the entire league, all while our offense has been under-performing. 4 of the teams ahead of us don't have any losses yet, which is a big advantage when you don't have any games with a negative point differential. One undefeated team actually has lower net points than us (Broncos).

For the record, we have the 7th most net points in the entire league. Net points is the difference between points for and points against. This means we have the 7th best point differential in the entire league, all while our offense has been under-performing. 4 of the teams ahead of us don't have any losses yet, which is a big advantage when you don't have any games with a negative point differential. One undefeated team actually has lower net points than us (Broncos).

Broncos are definitely the worse undefeated team out there if there is such a thing

The most disappointing thing for me about the worrisome bunch I'll call them is perspective.Theres just an extreme lack of it an alot I'd say 50% of posts after bad games are emotion based instead of taking stead of whats happened and come back with a rational thought process about it.

In most cases all you see are rants that end in $hit fights and what not for thats whats boring and does nothing for the image of this place.