Offensive Theory - Is The Kiss Method Best?

So I was thinking after the game yesterday, why do we look so out of sync on the offensive side of the ball but so in sync on the defensive side.

Thinking back over recent history of the Smith era, when Nolan came in our D looked great. As time progressed, and the schemes and complexity of the system grew the D started to tail off which ended in a worst ranked defense last year.

In comes Shanny, and I wonder if the complexity of the style of offense he runs with people constantly changing places, and lining up in different positions (mainly JJ and Free) isn't a mental strain on the offense as a whole that will just take time to adapt to. I mean we are basically half way thru the season so one can imagine, or dare assume, Shanny has been installing more and more elements of his offense onto the players as the weeks have gone on. Because games 1-3 we were firing 4&5 we were off and now 6&7 we looked discombobulated, imo. Football is way to fast of a game to have to think too much, everything should be instinctive.

Conversely though, the defense has simplified everything and they seem to be growing each and every week as a collective.

Thoughts?

And I'm by no means giving up on the team in the Shanny system, just wondering if he hasn't installed the complete system and the players are in a mini "information overload" situation.

*KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid

Too many drops, too many balls batted down, too many lousy snaps.

Just make those go away and we look better immediately.

Toilolo is a mismatch and should be used. Coleman needs more than

3 touches. We missed Hankerson's presence...the good Hank.

It feels like we are either passing or running when we line up and if

I can predict it so can their defense. We should be able to blend them

together more effectively.

I haven't watched this game yet -- I listened to it on the way back from a seminar. But the 2 games prior we have done a lot of shotgun, empty backfield, spread-type stuff. Like Koetter's offense. I'm not sure why, but it isn't working. Early in the season we were running a lot of 21 personnel looks and pounding the ball and using play action. It looks like we're doing a lot of pass first stuff now.

So yeah, I think we need to go back to the more "simple" looks and just beat the other team instead of running so much spread stuff and forgetting our blissfully, unexpectedly awesome running attack. We ran 31 total times the last game to 38 passes, and 8 of those runs came in the 4th quarter when we were trying to hold a lead. 2 of them were Matt Ryan runs. That means we ran the ball less than 30 times by design, and only 21 times (7 per quarter) in the first 3 quarters. I'm not understanding why that is, but I'd love to see us get back to setting up the pass with the run. We can still pass to get a lead and run to hold it, but right now the other team is able to discern that we're passing exclusively to get a lead and running exclusively to hold it. We're making their job easier, and it's the opposite of what Shanahan is known for. I don't get it at all.

Mike Smith always wanted to start fast. He and Keotter would set up the first possession to try and score. Kyle does not seem to care about this the way the prior regime did. This has lead to some REALLY slow starts when they should go the KISS rout and just rely on the talent the first couple of possessions.

Leave the fancy stuff for later.

I think that Shanahan's system has worked perfectly with the running game, but part of Matt's strength is his high football IQ and he isn't getting the opportunity to use it.

I think this is true. Matt was never a raw talent kind of guy that could put passes right on the money while being sacked. Ryan's ability to be a field general is what made him great.

Run it until they prove that they can stop it.

That's all I want to see.

No more 15 yard runs, and then three straight passes. Run it down their throat and force them to do something about it, because they aren't stopping Freeman and this O-line.

That's some old school Big 10 football game planning right there.

Mike Smith always wanted to start fast. He and Keotter would set up the first possession to try and score. Kyle does not seem to care about this the way the prior regime did. This has lead to some REALLY slow starts when they should go the KISS rout and just rely on the talent the first couple of possessions.

Leave the fancy stuff for later.

Well, usually WCO coordinators script the first 15 plays or so. This might be part of the problem.

Then again, we don't really improve much after that either, so......

Run it until they prove that they can stop it.

That's all I want to see.

No more 15 yard runs, and then three straight passes. Run it down their throat and force them to do something about it, because they aren't stopping Freeman and this O-line.

While I agree with your plan, I have to laugh because of your username. LOL

I was saying the exact same thing yesterday, run, run, run, pass, not the other way around.

Say 70-80 offensive plays a game, I think that's a fair average.

Give it to Freeman 30/35 times, I don't care.

Have Ryan throw it 25 maybe 30 times max. Take advantage of play action.

Coleman maybe 10-15 carries.

Run first, pass second. I know we have Julio but the constant threat and the hot hand is the running game and Freeman. Until teams prove they can stop it, run it down their throats.

Please no more; pass, pass, pass to start a game let alone a drive.

i agree with a lot of what has already been posted.

One thing i observed yesterday epitomizes a problem i have with the Offense right now. i was at the game, and have not watched any highlights or replay, so forgive me if i don't recall the exact personnel. Watching live allows one to see the entire field, however, and what i saw drove me crazy...

It was a series early in the game. 1st down is a completed pass to a TE (Tamme, i think) for 8-9 yards, getting the ball around midfield. The next two plays were pass plays, both incompletes, drive stalled, punt.

What upset me wasn't that the Falcons didn't run Freeman on either down (although i do think the 3rd down may have warranted it). It was that neither pass play exploited the terrific run game that Freeman and the OL have established. 2nd and short was a great time for play action and throw deep. Instead, neither 2nd or 3rd down had any WRs getting down the field. i feel like Shanahan is wasting the advantage JJ brings by not sending him deep more often. He's guaranteed to take two defenders with him, leaving ATL with an a numbers advantage for either a run or a pass to someone else.