The Falcoholic Reviews Smitty's Book

JDaveG

Yes it does show his integrity, absolutely. Hopefully he will learn from this experience and move on to find success with another team when he decides to return. He is still the best coach the Falcons have ever had, and had a hand in doing a lot of things this team has never done before. While I agreed it was time to make a move, I'm sure 99% of Falcons fans wish him nothing but the best in the future (unless he's playing the Falcons, of course).

Edited by PermaGrin

That is a great point and he's a great man. The part about the weekly meetings with Dimitroff and how they started to decline last year was interesting. Also I like the quote, "focus on the root, not the fruit." He's basically referring probably to the team's desire to become explosive, and more than that, putting the desire to win a championship ahead of focusing on what he really considered to be the priority of the team. I'm just not sure what he considered more important. I assume he does indeed consider a championship the ultimate goal. It just appears his philosophy is not to focus on the championship itself (along with what might get you there) and rather the team and it's core instead.

Edited by Atlfanstckndenver

I learned a lot about Smitty from that book. Made me respect him even more. He did kinda come off really disappointed, and regretful about not addressing the rumors head on about him losing his job. Came off kinda like a pushover, and a quitter but I still respect him though. Had to be a lot of pressure to deal with .

I've checked two different stores for this book and still haven't found it yet. Might just have to order it online.

As some have already mentioned, Smitty deserves nothing but the best. It was definitely time for a change but what he did here in Atlanta will never be forgotten, and will always be appreciated.

The first year here, it became a joke the way Smitty talked about "The Process." (It was a concept I personally embraced in my own athletic endeavors.) But the focus was on doing the little things you can do to make sure you are as prepared as possible for your competition. During games, they focused on making few penalties, few turnovers, few sacks (Matt's release his first year was the fastest of his career) and even shrewd clock management.

The Hallmark of "The Process" was that the Falcons always, ALWAYS won the games they should have won. The first few years, the Falcons did not have a single loss in the Dome against teams with losing records. They had a great record at home even against better teams, and a great record on the road against lesser teams. That's how they turned things around so quickly without great talent and had five consecutive winning seasons and all the playoff runs.

But things changed. We heard about "explosiveness" and "toughness" and we STOPPED hearing about "the process". The Falcons started losing at home, getting a lot of penalties, and making a lot of turnovers.

I want to read the book just to figure out what was behind the transition.\

edit: Maybe I should have read the article first: It didn't take long for Smith to specify key elements of Atlanta's decline, which he believes included forgetting about the process.

But things changed. We heard about "explosiveness" and "toughness" and we STOPPED hearing about "the process". The Falcons started losing at home, getting a lot of penalties, and making a lot of turnovers.

I want to read the book just to figure out what was behind the transition.

The 2012 NFCCG. In his book, he describes how after that game, things changed, enormous pressure developed to "win it all now", and he lost focus on the things he felt were most important.

We went all in to win in 2011 and 2012 whilst we still had Abe, Turner, McClure and Gonzalez rather than building for the longer term and investing to find long term replacements for those guys. When they left, the talent level fell and the shortage of picks from all the trades left us lacking talent and depth. It was a gamble that nearly paid off but didn't. It would be interesting to know if Smith's views on a lot of those decisions or not, but a I doubt that the book addresses that.

As for focus sing on "the process" rather than championships, I've heard a lot of other GM's say the same thing. Focus on the things that you can control, do them as well as you can, and the score will take care of itself for good or for bad (because ultimately there is nothing you can do that guarantees you a championship).

Given that Smith apparently says that the X's and O's of football are overrated, I'm not sorry to see him go. Building a great lockerroom might be very important, but strategy and game management are also critical factors.

The 2012 NFCCG. In his book, he describes how after that game, things changed, enormous pressure developed to "win it all now", and he lost focus on the things he felt were most important.

Its every teams goal to win it all now. If it's not, than your just fighting for a draft pick. Honestly, there was NOTHING done in the 2013 off season that tells me they were in ALL IN mode. Who did the Falcons pick up that year? They released every player that was good for them. Osi? Steven Jackson? Oh man, really sounds like your going ALL IN when you replace proven vets on your team with these guys for a cheaper pay rate.

If he is going to blame the Julio trade as an ALL IN trade to win now, well thank god they did it because the picks they would have made would have equaled to the likes of Peter Konz.

Honestly Mike Smith in his book should say, I can NOT evaluate talent in the draft or in Free Agency. He should say, I CAN NOT adjust at halftime. All these things led to the downfall on the season. He says, I AM WILLING TO TAKE THE BLAME and No one else WON'T.....

WELL NO ****! Your the head coach of the football team. Your responsible for the success and failure of the team. Mike Smith is honestly a nice guy who should have never been more than a coordinator in this league. I wish him the best but the talent on his team constantly had to play at a higher level than they actually were week after week. Games came down to field goal wins almost every week. In 1 season, Dan Quinn has at least installed his identity to the team in 1 year, while Mike Smith changed his every other year.

Edited by R_The_Great

Its every teams goal to win it all now. If it's not, than your just fighting for a draft pick. Honestly, there was NOTHING done in the 2013 off season that tells me they were in ALL IN mode. Who did the Falcons pick up that year? They released every player that was good for them. Osi? Steven Jackson? Oh man, really sounds like your going ALL IN when you replace proven vets on your team with these guys for a cheaper pay rate.

If he is going to blame the Julio trade as an ALL IN trade to win now, well thank god they did it because the picks they would have made would have equaled to the likes of Peter Konz.

He doesn't blame anyone but himself. Read his book. Or don't.