Reverse Things

Guest Gritz

Couldn't disagree more. What does a QB "carrying the team" even mean? The consensus around the entire organization is that Ryan is the on-field leader. I feel like one of the reasons that our run game has been so productive is because teams don't want to get beat by Ryan and Julio. And the zone blocking scheme. Ryan had 2 very productive years in '13 and '14. We couldn't run the ball those years due to piss poor RB and OL play. This year, we have two/three good, young backs and an o line that is set up to succeed in the run game. However, I completely agree that we need to continue to run the ball until a team sells out to stop it. Freeman and Coleman look like madmen with the rock, especially Free. Follow that up with Ryan being one of the best in the NFL at play action, and there's no reason to not work more toward balance.

So in other words you do agree. We need to run the ball more. That means throw the ball less. You can take yardage stats and throw them out the window. We are talking about wins and losses over the past few seasons. A lot of those stats are hollow. As far as teams trying to defend the pass as the reason for the running success, that's BS. The recent success in the run game has everything to do with the scheme change and the new additions to the OL. Has nothing to do with teams defending ryan to Julio otherwise we would have been able to run the ball last year and the year before. As far as carrying a team and its definition, I'm talking about his ability to make sound decisions that will lead to victories. Like for instance choosing to throw the ball away instead of holding it and taking a sack. Or not throwing the ball into triple coverage for an interception. You know carrying the team to victory.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dirty Bird Nation ®

I think this is a case of untempered expectations

Let's be honest, this team was a mess. We all knew in the offseason it'd take 2 years minimum to shore up the team. But lo and behold we "eek" out a few victories and posters start thinking Super Bowl

Our flaws get exposed to the Saints, who are one of the worst teams in the league, and people get brought back down to earth

I'm confident moving forward, because I never changed my opinion of this team. Wins can blind the eyes of many. It ain't doing that to me. Anyone remember 2012??

B...b..bu..t....5-0. Quit complaining. Enjoy the ride. Stop the negativity. We have no problems.

Guest facelessman07

B...b..bu..t....5-0. Quit complaining. Enjoy the ride. Stop the negativity. We have no problems.

Sorry, I forgot

Thanks for reminding me

I think this is a case of untempered expectations

Let's be honest, this team was a mess. We all knew in the offseason it'd take 2 years minimum to shore up the team. But lo and behold we "eek" out a few victories and posters start thinking Super Bowl

Our flaws get exposed to the Saints, who are one of the worst teams in the league, and people get brought back down to earth

I'm confident moving forward, because I never changed my opinion of this team. Wins can blind the eyes of many. It ain't doing that to me. Anyone remember 2012??

I thought going into this season that the Falcons might be a 9-7, 10-6 team. I didn't and still don't think this team has enough talent to make a deep playoff run this season.

What happened Thursday night against the Saints didn't really temper my expectations. It just made me angry because the Falcons looked so inept.

In summation, I don't really think the Falcons are (were) a 5-0 team and I don't think they are the reincarnated Three Stooges either.

The truth probably lies somewhere in between...for now.

So in other words you do agree. We need to run the ball more. That means throw the ball less. You can take yardage stats and throw them out the window. We are talking about wins and losses over the past few seasons. A lot of those stats are hollow. As far as teams trying to defend the pass as the reason for the running success, that's BS. The recent success in the run game has everything to do with the scheme change and the new additions to the OL. Has nothing to do with teams defending ryan to Julio otherwise we would have been able to run the ball last year and the year before. As far as carrying a team and its definition, I'm talking about his ability to make sound decisions that will lead to victories. Like for instance choosing to throw the ball away instead of holding it and taking a sack. Or not throwing the ball into triple coverage for an interception. You know carrying the team to victory.

I agree that we need to run the ball more, yes. But if you think other teams don't respect Ryan to Julio and that that fact doesn't help make the run game more successful, then I don't know what to say. That's why balance is so important. Defenses aren't leaving guys uncovered to triple Julio, they're taking guys out of the box to do it, thus making it easier to run the ball. The scheme change and Freeman deserve plenty of credit, but they do get help.

Secondly, I don't know how a QB can lead his generation in 4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives and also be regarded as someone who can't lead a team to victory. That's about as great of an oxymoron as you could find in football.

Guest facelessman07

I thought going into this season that the Falcons might be a 9-7, 10-6 team. I didn't and still don't think this team has enough talent to make a deep playoff run this season.

What happened Thursday night against the Saints didn't really temper my expectations. It just made me angry because the Falcons looked so inept.

In summation, I don't really think the Falcons are (were) a 5-0 team and I don't think they are the reincarnated Three Stooges either.

We're laying the foundation for a perennial winner

And you can't lay down half the foundation and call it a house

I know your expectations have always been "tempered", but others....not so much. That's one reason why I respect you, your observations are based on large sample sizes and level-headed rationality

The beauty is that making a SB run is all about a team getting hot at the right time, and running into favorable matchup a along the way. Jmo at least.

Doesn't it feel like 2014 all over again? Destroy Bucs, lose to a tough Vikings team, while the starting center gets injured, offense never gels and lose 5 straight. Destroy Texans, barely beat a tough Skins team, starting center gets hurt and offense looks like ****. I could see us losing next 3/5 to Colts, Vikings and 49ers if Person is out.

Gradkowski would play before we let things get that out of hand.

We're laying the foundation for a perennial winner

And you can't lay down half the foundation and call it a house

I know your expectations have always been "tempered", but others....not so much. That's one reason why I respect you, your observations are based on large sample sizes and level-headed rationality

Love that analogy man.

The beauty is that making a SB run is all about a team getting hot at the right time, and running into favorable matchup a along the way. Jmo at least.

I'm not discounting the possibility that lightning could strike.

I'm just saying that the Packers have a lightning rod and the Falcons don't yet.

I dont trust matt ryan, I know I'm about to get flamed, but he just doesn't excite me anymore, every time he throws the ball I feel like its going to be an interception. He just always has nervous body energy around him when I watch him play now. But of course I'm wrong so go ahead and flame me guys smh

I feel like this too at times.

It was a stone cold stinker. Stink, stank, stunk. But it happened early enough in the season and hopefully our Birds won't look so bad again. Not saying we won't lose more games because we certainly will, but make the other teams beat you. Don't beat yourselves and for gawd's sake, don't be beating yourselves in December!

I agree that we need to run the ball more, yes. But if you think other teams don't respect Ryan to Julio and that that fact doesn't help make the run game more successful, then I don't know what to say. That's why balance is so important. Defenses aren't leaving guys uncovered to triple Julio, they're taking guys out of the box to do it, thus making it easier to run the ball. The scheme change and Freeman deserve plenty of credit, but they do get help.

Secondly, I don't know how a QB can lead his generation in 4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives and also be regarded as someone who can't lead a team to victory. That's about as great of an oxymoron as you could find in football.

Listen. There is no doubt that Matt Ryan has lead a great many a come from behind victories. Most of the time they are victories that only require Bryant to kick a field goal. This is not the problem though. I'm well aware of Ryan's come from behind victories. The problem is his performance in playoff type games and actual playoff games. He doesn't perform well, which is why I say we will need to rely on the run game if we are ever going to get over that hump. Good news is we appear to be a team that can run it down anyone's throught. We just need to capitalize on that.

I'm not discounting the possibility that lightning could strike.

I'm just saying that the Packers have a lightning rod and the Falcons don't yet.

No doubt. We just need another offseason of good, solid acquisitions to be a powerhouse. I'd also like to see Asomoah get a shot to man the RG spot because I have no faith in Chester. Idc how good of a run blocker he is, he isn't helping Ryan when we throw the ball.

No doubt. We just need another offseason of good, solid acquisitions to be a powerhouse. I'd also like to see Asomoah get a shot to man the RG spot because I have no faith in Chester. Idc how good of a run blocker he is, he isn't helping Ryan when we throw the ball.

Chester is a very good run blocker...not so great at pass protection. He is supposedly the veteran "go-to man" about the ZBS for the younger guys on the line.

Listen. There is no doubt that Matt Ryan has lead a great many a come from behind victories. Most of the time they are victories that only require Bryant to kick a field goal. This is not the problem though. I'm well aware of Ryan's come from behind victories. The problem is his performance in playoff type games and actual playoff games. He doesn't perform well, which is why I say we will need to rely on the run game if we are ever going to get over that hump. Good news is we appear to be a team that can run it down anyone's throught. We just need to capitalize on that.

I'm definitely glad to finally be back to running the ball well. But I still disagree with your assessment on Ryan. Only one QB outperformed him in our last playoff run me that was Joe Flacco, who had a historic type of postseason. Ryan played excellent against two of the league's top defenses in the 2012 playoffs. Agree to disagree my man.

I'm definitely glad to finally be back to running the ball well. But I still disagree with your assessment on Ryan. Only one QB outperformed him in our last playoff run me that was Joe Flacco, who had a historic type of postseason. Ryan played excellent against two of the league's top defenses in the 2012 playoffs. Agree to disagree my man.

Fair enough

Guest facelessman07

I honestly thought ryan was made for this scheme but it's just not looking good on him this season. And it seems like everytime he loads up to launch it someone is in his face.

Remember the Luck vs. Ryan thread made earlier in the season?

Good times

Guest facelessman07

No I probably avoided it.

Luck is sht. Like 58% career completion percentage.

You'd have to read the thread to understand the context