" Rise Up " Starting To Really Mean Something...

Supes™

About this time last season, many of us were mumbling "Wise Up" as we watched another season slowly start to circle the drain on it's way to the proverbial septic tank. Threads were started in here demanding an end to the Falcon's catch phrase and understandably so. The Falcons couldn't make a cake rise, much less create the sense of excitement we're all feeling this season.

"Rise Up" certainly is fitting for the way these Falcons have been playing and fighting this season under coach Quinn, what with their 4th quarter heroics and a determined refusal to lose. I use the term as a greeting to my fellow Falcons fans at work along with a fist bump and other folks around us (fans of other teams), know exactly what we mean. That's kinda very cool.

My boss is a Saint's fan and there are other Saints fans there as well, as there are over 600 employees. Come Friday, there's either gonna be greetings of "Rise Up" or "Who Dat". Please, for the love of the Football Gods, let it be RISE UP!

Great post, although I freely admit I was one of those who made a kick-Rise Up-to-the-curb rant posts. Even now I feel an almost allergic reaction to Rise Up, but absolutely don't want any Who Dat mutterings being thrown out without there being some kind of bombastic, in-your-face and up-your-bum retaliatory catch phrase to counter, even if it's Rise Up. So I'm all in, at least for a week. biggrin.png

Still wish they'd retire that slogan.

Well, not everyone is gonna embrace it no matter what. And like my friend Poker Steve, there were times last season when I'd turn the radio off in my truck when the commercial came on. But I like it when we're winning, especially the ways we're winning. It feels ok to say it, even good to say it, and most fans I know are saying it regularly.

About this time last season, many of us were mumbling "Wise Up" as we watched another season slowly start to circle the drain on it's way to the proverbial septic tank. Threads were started in here demanding an end to the Falcon's catch phrase and understandably so. The Falcons couldn't make a cake rise, much less create the sense of excitement we're all feeling this season.

"Rise Up" certainly is fitting for the way these Falcons have been playing and fighting this season under coach Quinn, what with their 4th quarter heroics and a determined refusal to lose. I use the term as a greeting to my fellow Falcons fans at work along with a fist bump and other folks around us (fans of other teams), know exactly what we mean. That's kinda very cool.

My boss is a Saint's fan and there are other Saints fans there as well, as there are over 600 employees. Come Friday, there's either gonna be greetings of "Rise Up" or "Who Dat". Please, for the love of the Football Gods, let it be RISE UP!

I really think we need to pump the brakes on all the excitement for this team. I think we're a very good team but you can't deny the holes on both sides of the ball. we haven't played a good team this year and we're struggling to beat the bad ones. I like where we're headed but lets be for real our first real test will be against the Colts or Vikings. the Titans might be a good test for us too. we've almost lost 2 or 3 games this year to sub-par teams. We win those games it would go a long way to eliminating this uneasy feeling. I think our record is better than we might be. Let's not forget we were 13-3 and got bounced in our first game. We've seen this song and dance from the Falcons before. We get this cupcake schedule and all of a sudden we're all hyped about the team being good and then what happens. first playoff game and we're on the losing end.

But we're winning so I guess I can't be to down. Just don't want us to get to the playoffs and lay another egg

I really think we need to pump the brakes on all the excitement for this team. I think we're a very good team but you can't deny the holes on both sides of the ball. we haven't played a good team this year and we're struggling to beat the bad ones. I like where we're headed but lets be for real our first real test will be against the Colts or Vikings. the Titans might be a good test for us too. we've almost lost 2 or 3 games this year to sub-par teams. We win those games it would go a long way to eliminating this uneasy feeling. I think our record is better than we might be. Let's not forget we were 13-3 and got bounced in our first game. We've seen this song and dance from the Falcons before. We get this cupcake schedule and all of a sudden we're all hyped about the team being good and then what happens. first playoff game and we're on the losing end.

But we're winning so I guess I can't be to down. Just don't want us to get to the playoffs and lay another egg

"You are what your record says you are." ~ Bill Parcells

I'm not a huge fan of "Rise Up" but it works well winning or losing. If you are winning, you can view it in past tense. If you are losing, you can use it as a rally cry. As a standalone, it is a slogan to overcome adversity. "Who dat" doesn't really mean anything and is easy to ridicule...for example "Who dat 1-4?"

There's some truth in there. But those poor records of our opponents are misleading too. The Giants are pretty good ... better than their current record I think. And the Skins are pretty good too -- they'll probably win at least 9 games IMO.

But yeah, we have struggled most of our games. And during some of those struggles, we looked bad. There are some teams out there who don't have nearly as many struggles. We do have an easy schedule, no doubt.

But ... some things are rock solid. #1 defense against the run -- and we've played some strong running teams. Devonta and the O line ... they're as good as anyone in the league. Julio and Shanny are possibly the best in the NFL at what they do. Matt Ryan is elite.

And I would put our relentlessness up against anyone.

So our current record might overstate how good we are ... but not by much. We're a dam good team right now, even if we've not yet proven ourselves to be as good as say the Pats or the Packers.

Edited by DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins