Matt Ryan Calls Effort To Run Over A Safety “An Error In Judgment”

Posted by Darin Gantt on October 13, 2015, 2:49 PM EDT

There are quarterbacks in the NFC South who can put a shoulder into a tackler and drive them backward, or at least one.

Matt Ryan is not that guy.

The Falcons quarterback said he may have made a mistake, when trying to run for a first down, he lowered his shoulder and tried to drive Washington safety Kyshoen Jarrett back instead of sliding or running out of bounds. It wasn’t much of an effort, as Jarrett didn’t really move and Ryan fell to the side.

“I thought I was closer to the first down than I actually was,” Ryan said, via Michael Cunningham of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “I thought I was going to get it and it turns out I was a couple yards short.”

Ryan called the decision “an error in judgement,” and added “It happens.”

He had reason to want to make a play. The Falcons were trailing 16-12 inside the two-minute warning as he scrambled, so there was urgency.

But he’s far more valuable to the 5-0 Falcons in the pocket than he is on the run, so it’s probably best he realized he’s no Cam Newton.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/13/matt-ryan-calls-effort-to-run-over-a-safety-an-error-in-judgment/