Don't Look Now: Falcons Have Number One Ranked Rush Defense.

Bier was our best run defender last year. People on here just hated on him because he didn't post double digit sack numbers. The guy is solid against the run though. I wonder if anybody noticed how often Beasley is pulled for Biermann at the LEO spot. Probably not many.

Good point... And when Beasley Learns to play the run better that will make him a complete De End...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Passing YPG and total passing yards are garbage stats. Often these numbers are inflated by late catch up yards or playing from a lead where the other team has to pass the whole game. I actually think if you combine the rushing defense with turnovers and sacks you cant rate the better defenses than looking at YPG. Generally, the teams with the higher of the two have the best effective defense. You can't tell anything with Defensive yards per game except who has the truly bad defense. The worst ranked YPG general give up a lot of yards on the ground, don't take the ball away much and don't sack the QB.

I'm of the belief that points are far more important than yards. Now, they do go hand-in-hand sometimes, but it's stopping drives and limiting scoring chances for the opponent.

#3 in offensive PPG (#12 in 2014/#8 in 2012 NFCCG run)

#15 in defensive PPG (#27 in 2014/#5 in 2012 NFCCG run)

Boys, as the year goes on I suspect the defensive PPG will only go down as the team becomes more accustomed to Quinn's defense. I really think this is our year. We have found a run game, so Matt no longer has to win games on his own. He doesn't have to play a solid game for us to win, Julio doesn't have to have an insane day for us to win and we have finally have a balanced team in all facets of the game. The only thing that can derail this season is injury.

Edited by cryates

I'm of the belief that points are far more important than yards. Now, they do go hand-in-hand sometimes, but it's stopping drives and limiting scoring chances for the opponent.

Boys, as the year goes on I suspect the defensive PPG will only go down as the team becomes more accustomed to Quinn's defense. I really think this is our year. We have found a run game, so Matt no longer has to win games on his own. He doesn't have to play a solid game for us to win, Julio doesn't have to have an insane day for us to win and we have finally have a balanced team in all facets of the game. The only thing that can derail this season is injury.

IN reality, minus the extreme junk time in the Texans game, we are probably closer to top ten or twelve in points defense, even if you say we left in our starters and gave the Texans a 'gimme' fourth quarter td.

To tally last seasons rushing yardage total, we would have to average 79 offensive rushing yards a game over the course of the rest of the season. We're 42% of the way to last year's total. With our next rushing TD we will equal last year's team rushing td total.

IN reality, minus the extreme junk time in the Texans game, we are probably closer to top ten or twelve in points defense, even if you say we left in our starters and gave the Texans a 'gimme' fourth quarter td.

I agree. There are quite a few things skewing the PPG on defnese, and that's a huge one. That's 28 points given up during garbage time. If you take away the garbage time in that game, we are approaching top 5 in defensive PPG. The defense is different, and it's only 5 games in. Statistics don't always tell the whole story.

All we needed offensively was a decent offensive line, and SOME form of a ground game, and in 2015 we can feel comfortable that our ground game can win us games. I'm so high on the team this year, and I was a major skeptic of the teams true ability in 2012.

Edit: just did the math. If we take away garbage time against Houston, we are sitting at 4th in defensive PPG.

Edited by cryates

Whoa there let's take it easy now we off to a great start but let's be serious we aren't on the Packers, Seattle or even Arizona level yet

Whoa there let's take it easy now we off to a great start but let's be serious we aren't on the Packers, Seattle or even Arizona level yet

Never said that, and I agree we aren't there yet, but I'm also not scared of those teams three or four months from now. If the Falcons continue to improve under Quinn as the season goes on, then I see no reason why we would fear other teams, especially since we are in pole position (thanks to scheduling) to get home field advantage.

Edited by cryates

I agree. There are quite a few things skewing the PPG on defnese, and that's a huge one. That's 28 points given up during garbage time. If you take away the garbage time in that game, we are approaching top 5 in defensive PPG. The defense is different, and it's only 5 games in. Statistics don't always tell the whole story.

All we needed offensively was a decent offensive line, and SOME form of a ground game, and in 2015 we can feel comfortable that our ground game can win us games. I'm so high on the team this year, and I was a major skeptic of the teams true ability in 2012.

Edit: just did the math. If we take away garbage time against Houston, we are sitting at 4th in defensive PPG.

You would need to go through every other team's games and eliminate their garbage time scores as well to get a true indication.

It is a nice stat but don't get too comfortable with it. Keep in mind we were 23rd rushing defense (I think) going into this game. These early seasons stats swing wildly in both directions.

The important thing is we are tough to run against.

Haha what? We were not 23rd in rush defense. We were like top 10.

Edited by cryates

It is a nice stat but don't get too comfortable with it. Keep in mind we were 23rd rushing defense (I think) going into this game. These early seasons stats swing wildly in both directions.

Stats don't swing THAT wildly after week 3 lol. Think we were like 3rd going into the game

Agree they need to play out over the season tho

We were 23 overall going into the Washington game. - not rushing defense. We went from 23 to 19 overall (i think). We went from ranked number 5 to 1 in rushing defense.

You would need to go through every other team's games and eliminate their garbage time scores as well to get a true indication.

Still, including what a group of players who won't see the field unless the game is a blowout in the analysis of how we might do against Drew Bree's is a bit suspect, wouldn't you tend to agree?