Falcons Rookie Vic Beasley Ditching Fast Food For Healthier Diet

Falcons rookie Vic Beasley ditching fast food for healthier diet
Vaughn McClure, ESPN Staff Writer

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- When you're a rookie pass-rusher battling Pro Bowl offensive tackles seemingly every Sunday, any added edge could help.

Atlanta Falcons first-round draft pick Vic Beasley possesses the type of speed and athleticism great ones are made of. But Beasley would be the first to say his eating habits aren't up to par, which could negatively impact him physically. So he started seeing the team nutritionist two weeks ago and stopped frequenting fast food restaurants for beef & cheddar sandwiches.

"I eat out a lot, and I'm trying to live a long life," Beasley said. "They've got me on a little diet. I'm just trying to eat healthy. ... Anywhere you get fast food, you've got to get fries, so I'm trying to cut that out.

"I talked to the nutritionist, and the Falcons have a plan for me. It's just eating more vegetables, fruits; things that you normally need to function throughout the day."
Before anyone gets the wrong idea here, Beasley isn't trying to cut weight. Many wondered how his already slender, 6-foot-3-inch, 235-pound frame would hold up in the transition from college to the NFL, specifically in defending the run.

"If I work out harder and just continue to replace the calories that I burn in practice, I'll be fine," Beasley said. "I want to be 238, 240. Being in that range, I'll be good."

A now health-conscious Beasley realized he needs as much juice as possible to contend with some of the quality opponents he'll face the remainder of the season. He already battled three Pro Bowl tackles in Philadelphia's Jason Peters, Dallas' Tyron Smith and Houston's Duane Brown. Now he'll face yet another this Sunday in Washington left tackle Trent Williams, a three-time Pro Bowl selection.

"He reminds me a lot of Peters," Beasley said of Williams. "I think Williams (6-5, 337) is a bigger guy and he seems to be very athletic. I'm just going to try to get his feet moving to open up some rushes."

Beasley, who stated a goal to reach double-digit sacks in his first season, has two sacks, three disrupted dropbacks, a forced fumble and 11 tackles in 140 snaps played this season. He got a little nudge from Falcons coach Dan Quinn following a quiet 24 snaps in last Sunday's 48-21 win over Brown and the Texans. Beasley had just one tackle and one quarterback hit in the game.

"I didn't get any production," Beasley said. "Coach let me know, 'We need you, man. We need you to show up.' Of course, we won the game, but he wants to see me making an impact on the game. I do that by having production."

Quinn was asked about Beasley's play thus far.

"I thought there have been some flashes where we’ve seen some good stuff," Quinn said. "It’s the initial quickness that you see off the ball. Going through that process with him is day in and day out. How do I keep working on my counter? How do I keep working how to finish? As you know, the pass-rush part of it is the finish, so I think he’s playing well and it’s all out there in front of him for where he’s going to get to. He’s a real hard worker at it, and he wants to do it. I think it’s the initial quickness. We knew that was there. Now it’s that finishing part of the rush."

Naturally, Quinn and the staff want Beasley to get after Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins as much as possible on Sunday. However, Beasley has to be effective against the run as well, with the Redskins touting the league's top-ranked rushing attack (139.5 yards per game), led by Alfred Morris and Matt Jones.

"Facing these Pro Bowl (tackles) every week, it's helping me take my game to another level," Beasley said. "I'm studying guys harder. You have to look at the tackle's feet and how they set. That will tell you run or pass. You have to have a good feel of what the next play is expected to be."

And how will the diet factor into Beasley's play?

"It's going to give me more energy," he said. "Hopefully I'll be able to play lights out every play."

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These guys were so dominant at high school and college it wasn't needed. How many of us ate junk in our 20s because our metabolism could compensate? Now that I'm older, and have less time to be active, I have to pay more attention to my diet too. And I'm having to overcome some poor eating habits I had formed from then, making it even harder.

Good for him seeing it early. Also cool that Quinn constantly pushes guys for more, even in a 48-21 game.

Anytime I hear about an NFL player changing his diet from junk to healthier stuff it just makes me wonder how they got this far without already doing that?

I think back to Tony G being a big time health nut for so many years.

When you're going that hard, a lot of what they eat just goes right through them. Plus, they're freak athletes too.

Guest facelessman07

Roddy had to do the same thing early in his career. Just means he's raised his ceiling. Good news for Falcons' fans!

Are you talking about the eating healthy part? I hope not

When you're going that hard, a lot of what they eat just goes right through them. Plus, they're freak athletes too.

Exactly. Not only are most of them born with incredible genes, a very high metabolism, but they are working out constantly. If anything, it's hard for some to keep weight on no matter what they are eating
Guest facelessman07

Thinking about doing the same

You should

If anything, consider it a science experiment. If you can't tell a difference that's worth it, then at least you tried

Are you talking about the eating healthy part? I hope not

Yeah, Roddy talked about it in this article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-thegameface120508

White’s diet, he says, “was terrible. I gained a bunch of weight. I would go to McDonald’s, and I could eat four double cheeseburgers.”

But the best part of the article is the differing versions of the visit to Roddy's house that Robiskie and Roddy gave:

Recalls White of Robiskie’s visit: “He said to my mom, ‘Give me your number, so when he’s in the clubs I can call you – and you can call him and tell him to go home.’ And she gave him her number! Ridiculous.”

Robiskie’s version? “Me and Roddy had a falling-out, so I went to his house. I talked to his mama, and she gave me permission to keep my foot up his ***.”

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Guest facelessman07

Yeah, Roddy talked about it in this article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-thegameface120508

But the best part of the article is the differing versions of the visit to Roddy's house that Robiskie and Roddy gave:

:lol::lol::lol:

Eh, I didn't see anything about him fully switching to a healthy diet. Just that he gained weight with too many cheeseburgers