What Makes Quinn's Start Different Than Mora And Smith's?

Jerry Maguire

One week after the Falcons hired Mora my buddy Ben called me. He is as big of a Falcons fan as the rest of us are. He said, "Man, you don't seem excited about the Mora hire. What's up with that?"

I told him. "This guy is immature. Everything I know about this guy says that he doesn't have the maturity to last long as a HC in the NFL. I don't know how his time in Atlanta will go, but I know the end of it won't be pretty."

Ben thinks I'm a wizard now.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan Reeves and Vick beat GB in the Playoffs (on the road in the cold). That win tops anything weve done in this era imo...Mora was a jerkoff..And those Mike Smith(who was a defensive coach btw) 13-3 teams were overrated(I actually think his 2008 team was his best).Lovin this Quinn team so far..A defensive coach,(who can actually coach defense).

Since when have you not been what your record says...Those Falcon teams were legit 13 win teams.

They won the 50/50 games more often than not...minimal penalties/time of possession/limit big plays/preparation.

Smitty coached winning football...we turned the ball over in the playoffs.

One week after the Falcons hired Mora my buddy Ben called me. He is as big of a Falcons fan as the rest of us are. He said, "Man, you don't seem excited about the Mora hire. What's up with that?"

I told him. "This guy is immature. Everything I know about this guy says that he doesn't have the maturity to last long as a HC in the NFL. I don't know how his time in Atlanta will go, but I know the end of it won't be pretty."

I used to love Mora's antics early, but you were right...immature and so was his QB

You're not a wizard? WTF man that's life telling a kid there's no Santa.

The biggest difference I see is heart. That Mora team was dynamic, exciting, and I really enjoyed watching a lot of our playmakers. When they were up, they were great. That being said, when they got punched in the mouth, they stayed down. When we got punched in the mouth, Quinn got them coming out of the half with a vengence and a sense of urgency.

Mike Smith was able to keep them fighting when they were down, but the biggest difference with Quinn I've seen was approaching defense as an offensive opportunity. Smith was conservative on defense, limit the big plays, and wait for the other team to make a mistake. That was successful at times with Abraham on the edge against lesser offenses. But Quinn's approach is attack and cause the offense to make a mistake, which I think is better when we have an offense that can make up for us giving up a few big plays here and there.

1. The attitude. 2. His coaching ability and the staff he hired.

No other coach would have won the game against the Eagles in game 1 and we wouldn't have came back in the Cowboys game with the other coaches we had on the past and I fully believe that. Shanahan had called some tremendous plays. Quinn and staff has the defense playing with a no quit attitude and the o line is statistically the best line the league through 4 games and they were thought be the worst. That is coaching.

1. The attitude. 2. His coaching ability and the staff he hired.

No other coach would have won the game against the Eagles in game 1 and we wouldn't have came back in the Cowboys game with the other coaches we had on the past and I fully believe that. Shanahan had called some tremendous plays. Quinn and staff has the defense playing with a no quit attitude and the o line is statistically the best line the league through 4 games and they were thought be the worst. That is coaching.

All 3 coaches came in with #1. #2 is still unfolding.

Mora might not be 4-0 with Vick. Smitty would...and we wouldn't have been behind to Dallas. Smitty teams usually started well in the 1st half...finished in the 4th.

Here's the big thing that has grabbed my attention (other than the winning, obviously): the technical nature of the discussions the media keeps having with Dan Quinn. He's not giving the typical "play with the team" rah rah ********. He talks about finishing but he also talks about leverage and technique. He talks about installing technique during drills. He talks about using guys in certain down/distance situations that best matchup with their skill set.

Those are the differences to me. He seems to know the craft better than previous coaching regimes.

Actually Vick did kill Reeves' career. When Vick broke his leg initial recovery time was 4-6 weeks. Vick didn't come back until there was only 5 games left in the season. Vick could have easily played much sooner than he did but kept saying his leg wasn't ready even though the doctors kept telling him it was fine.

The Falcons also had the 32nd ranked defense that year. Vick wouldn't have gotten this team to the playoffs. Reeves and Wade Phillips had done a fantastic job the prior year of making a defense. They completely disappeared in 2003 for no reason. That's not on Vick

Disclaimer: This is not a negative thread! I think Quinn is different than Mora and Smith and Quinn has long term staying power (longer than Smith quite possibly.) I'd just like to see this discussed, particularly vs. Mora. He was very energetic and the players liked him and the Falcons started 4-0 his first year as well.

I think for sure one thing that separates Quinn is his ability to put guys in position to succeed as well as his coaching hires fitting in with that philosophy. Quinn hires Shanahan. Mora hired his buddy Knapp.

What else? Discuss.

Even when we started hot in those years we ALL saw the holes.. in 2008 we were all shocked at the start. The energy was different and it was great but we had Micheal Jenkins as our deep threat ? And Brooking making tackles 8 yards downfield . This team has 3 legit superstars in Matty, Julio and Trufant and an emerging one in Freeman. Our D-Line rotation is solid. We are protecting the QB. We dont have any glaring weaknesses. Even in 2012 we ALL knew we were shaky on Defense going into the playoffs and couldn't run for a yard on 3rd and 1. Mora's hot start was largely due to Vick, as soon as the league figured out his tendencies, he was done, everybody KNEW Vick was gonna roll to his left when he felt pressure, thats why Simeon Rice would rush wide and Sapp would force him right into his waiting arms. (Matty changes his tendencies weekly because he studies himself on film) . Im excited to see Coleman back to have a HR Threat when Freeman needs a rest. Man hard to believe Matty is 30 years old already .. **** i feel old .

Dan Reeves and Vick beat GB in the Playoffs (on the road in the cold). That win tops anything weve done in this era imo...Mora was a jerkoff..And those Mike Smith(who was a defensive coach btw) 13-3 teams were overrated(I actually think his 2008 team was his best).Lovin this Quinn team so far..A defensive coach,(who can actually coach defense).

I don't know about that man. The 2012 team was pretty **** good. They lit up the best 2 defenses in the NFL in the playoffs and blew out several opponents in the regular season. The 2010 team was overrated, I'll give you that. They squeaked by so many wins and had so many "the ball just bounced their way" moments. They were more like a 10 win team that got lucky several times.

We won't know if there is any difference for about 3 years. Nobody had any problems with Mora or Smitty after the first few weeks so I'm not about to sip the kool-aid just yet with the new HQ. It's hilariously biased to use playoff losses against a previous regime when the current one is one 4 games into their tenure. Let Quinn earn his accolades.

Yep. Totally agree that his best team was 2008.

The biggest difference I see is heart. That Mora team was dynamic, exciting, and I really enjoyed watching a lot of our playmakers. When they were up, they were great. That being said, when they got punched in the mouth, they stayed down. When we got punched in the mouth, Quinn got them coming out of the half with a vengence and a sense of urgency.

Mike Smith was able to keep them fighting when they were down, but the biggest difference with Quinn I've seen was approaching defense as an offensive opportunity. Smith was conservative on defense, limit the big plays, and wait for the other team to make a mistake. That was successful at times with Abraham on the edge against lesser offenses. But Quinn's approach is attack and cause the offense to make a mistake, which I think is better when we have an offense that can make up for us giving up a few big plays here and there.

That 2004 56-10 loss in KC with them getting 8 rushing touchdowns would have never happened under Dan Quinn.

Here's the big thing that has grabbed my attention (other than the winning, obviously): the technical nature of the discussions the media keeps having with Dan Quinn. He's not giving the typical "play with the team" rah rah ********. He talks about finishing but he also talks about leverage and technique. He talks about installing technique during drills. He talks about using guys in certain down/distance situations that best matchup with their skill set.

Those are the differences to me. He seems to know the craft better than previous coaching regimes.

One thing that really caught my attention was something Kevin Harlan and Rich Gannon mentioned in the 4th quarter. They were fascinated by watching Friday's practice session. The reason they were was because every other coach and team they've ever seen holds a fast paced practice on Friday with lots of scrimmaging. But they talked about how Dan Quinn on Friday had everyone slow down and how focused Quinn was on teaching. They were both stunned that it was working and that the Falcons were winning games with having Friday practices like that.

The Falcons also had the 32nd ranked defense that year. Vick wouldn't have gotten this team to the playoffs. Reeves and Wade Phillips had done a fantastic job the prior year of making a defense. They completely disappeared in 2003 for no reason. That's not on Vick

That is because the offese was one of the worst I've ever seen. They kept the defense on the field all the time because of a **** load of turnovers and 3 and outs. They had 9 games that year with multiple turnovers committed by the offense. The defense forced a **** load of turnovers too. The defense had 8 games when they forced multiple turnovers. There was a game against Saints that year that they lost 23-20 in OT and the defense forced 4 turnovers that day. Offense committed 3 turnovers that day. Defense's showing was all because of the offense. It's not surprise that pretty much the exact same defense in 2002 and 2004 was pretty darn good. (yes I know Dontrell was DC in 2004 but it was still almost the exact same players).

He quit after they told him he was going to be fired. It's nothing at all like what Petrino did.

And Reeves handed GB its first ever playoff loss at Lambeau in 2002. Not sure we could have fired him earlier, unless you're suggesting we should have fired him a year or two after he took us to our only Super Bowl appearance

I think Reeves was a great coach but sucked as A GM. Remember it was Reeves who cut our best defensive player LB C. Bennett after our SB loss. Reeves let WR Tony Martin get away and replaced him with a WR who got out run by a DT. Also after Mr. Blank purchased the team Mr. Blank signs Warrick Dunn Then Reeves drafts a RB T.J. Duckett in the 1st round. I can go on and on with Reeves personnel mistakes.

I'll just go with the obvious - our team still lacks a lot of long term talent in certain areas (especially DL, safety, LB, TE, and arguably even WR) but we're still 4-0 and overacheiving. Another offseason and year of guys clicking and getting used to the scheme will probably improve us, which is crazy to think about, but honestly this team hasn't even come close to reaching its potential.

Totally agree. I firmly belief we're just seeing the first signs of what is going to be a powerhouse team in the league for at least the next five years, barring injuries and the unforeseen.