Nfl Week 4: Mike Tanier's Previews And Score Predictions

fuego

Move over, 2007 Patriots and 1972 Dolphins: The 2015 Falcons could go undefeated in the regular season.

The Falcons have gotten through the tough part of their schedule. Yes, that was the tough part of the schedule. An Eagles-at Giants-at Cowboys start was supposed to prompt talk about how Dan Quinn's team is a play here and a play there away from competing or staying the course and buying into the program despite getting outrun by Chip Kelly and masticated by the Cowboys offensive line. Instead, the Falcons are 3-0, reasonably healthy and getting a little better every week.

The Falcons host the Texans and Redskins and then travel to New Orleans and Tennessee. After that, they host the Buccaneers and travel to San Francisco. Even if Drew Brees gets his 2009 shoulder back in three weeks, it's not hard to imagine the Falcons 9-0 at the bye.

The schedule is tougher after the bye, but not too tough. The Falcons host the Colts and Vikings, a pair of hard-to-gauge teams right now. A three-game road trip to Tampa, Carolina and Jacksonville is pretty manageable:

Those are short trips and beatable foes. Home sweep opportunities against the Panthers and Saints end the season, and then it's home-field advantage throughout the playoffs and the first-ever Super Bowl between undefeated teams when the Falcons face the Bengals. KIDDING! The Broncos.

OK, 16-0 is a little far-fetched. Look at that schedule again. How does 11-5 grab you? Right now, it's hard to locate the five losses.

The Texans represent a potential "trap game" for a team that suddenly must worry about trap games: an unfamiliar foe with a weak record but plenty of ways to defend itself. Before you pencil in the Texans for an upset based on "Falcons are due to lose" logic, consider:

• The Texans offensive line that sprung Alfred Blue for 139 rushing yards last week has been riddled with injuries. Duane Brown (hand) is expected back after missing the Buccaneers game, but Brandon Brooks has a sprained ankle, and Derek Newton is playing through a knee injury. Undrafted rookie Kendall Lamm finished the Buccaneers game at left tackle.
  • Arian Foster's return date gets pushed back about two weeks every week, like the launch for a video game the software company knows will brick your computer the moment you download it.
  • Randy Bullock's two missed extra points forced the Texans to hold a kicker roll call early in the week. Inconsistent Nick Novak takes over in another Bill O'Brien quick-trigger move. This is not a team built to gut out close wins on the road.
  • Ryan Mallett still throws like receivers five yards away are 20 yards away and receivers 20 yards away need to get their uniforms dirtier and rib cages loosened.

The Falcons aren't perfect. But with a schedule like theirs, being pretty darn good will get them pretty darn far.

Prediction: Falcons 23, Texans 20

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2573983-nfl-week-4-mike-taniers-previews-and-score-predictions/page/9

Move over, 2007 Patriots and 1972 Dolphins: The 2015 Falcons could go undefeated in the regular season.

The Falcons have gotten through the tough part of their schedule. Yes, that was the tough part of the schedule. An Eagles-at Giants-at Cowboys start was supposed to prompt talk about how Dan Quinn's team is a play here and a play there away from competing or staying the course and buying into the program despite getting outrun by Chip Kelly and masticated by the Cowboys offensive line. Instead, the Falcons are 3-0, reasonably healthy and getting a little better every week.

The Falcons host the Texans and Redskins and then travel to New Orleans and Tennessee. After that, they host the Buccaneers and travel to San Francisco. Even if Drew Brees gets his 2009 shoulder back in three weeks, it's not hard to imagine the Falcons 9-0 at the bye.

The schedule is tougher after the bye, but not too tough. The Falcons host the Colts and Vikings, a pair of hard-to-gauge teams right now. A three-game road trip to Tampa, Carolina and Jacksonville is pretty manageable:

Those are short trips and beatable foes. Home sweep opportunities against the Panthers and Saints end the season, and then it's home-field advantage throughout the playoffs and the first-ever Super Bowl between undefeated teams when the Falcons face the Bengals. KIDDING! The Broncos.

OK, 16-0 is a little far-fetched. Look at that schedule again. How does 11-5 grab you? Right now, it's hard to locate the five losses.

The Texans represent a potential "trap game" for a team that suddenly must worry about trap games: an unfamiliar foe with a weak record but plenty of ways to defend itself. Before you pencil in the Texans for an upset based on "Falcons are due to lose" logic, consider:

• The Texans offensive line that sprung Alfred Blue for 139 rushing yards last week has been riddled with injuries. Duane Brown (hand) is expected back after missing the Buccaneers game, but Brandon Brooks has a sprained ankle, and Derek Newton is playing through a knee injury. Undrafted rookie Kendall Lamm finished the Buccaneers game at left tackle.
  • Arian Foster's return date gets pushed back about two weeks every week, like the launch for a video game the software company knows will brick your computer the moment you download it.
  • Randy Bullock's two missed extra points forced the Texans to hold a kicker roll call early in the week. Inconsistent Nick Novak takes over in another Bill O'Brien quick-trigger move. This is not a team built to gut out close wins on the road.
  • Ryan Mallett still throws like receivers five yards away are 20 yards away and receivers 20 yards away need to get their uniforms dirtier and rib cages loosened.

The Falcons aren't perfect. But with a schedule like theirs, being pretty darn good will get them pretty darn far.

Prediction: Falcons 23, Texans 20

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2573983-nfl-week-4-mike-taniers-previews-and-score-predictions/page/9

Kiss of Death!

I got a feeling we might hang 40 on Houston. with the exception of Watt I don't see this incredible defense they're supposed to have. the only thing I really need from this game though is that Clowney does not get his first sack on us

Nah, they have an extremely good defense. Watt is in a class of his own. Now, they have Clowney and Wilfork on top of that - yeah, it's a great defense.

Doesn't mean we can't score on them - but it will be a battle all day.

I picked us to go 13-3 on the Thread made before the season, That's not bad , but if anything , I think we might can win more now that I've watched the first 3 games , I figured we would need about 4 games to get used to our new system.. Thankfully , it's even better than I thought. Amazing difference just having the right Coaches , and game plan . Got to love it...

Nah, they have an extremely good defense. Watt is in a class of his own. Now, they have Clowney and Wilfork on top of that - yeah, it's a great defense.

Eh, don't mistake a few amazing players for a good overall unit. Their D has gone downhill for a number of years now.

a great defense that played tampa, carolina, and kansas city. None of those teams have a great offense.

I think after the close call in Dallas, Quinn's D is going to bring their best game tomorrow. The defense learned pretty quickly what underestimating can do. Beyond that, we just need Matty Ice to put up a couple TD's and we should be good to go.

Agreed man I think our D will come to play straight off the bat tomorrow.

I got a feeling we might hang 40 on Houston. with the exception of Watt I don't see this incredible defense they're supposed to have. the only thing I really need from this game though is that Clowney does not get his first sack on us

If we get off to a fast start I'm with you 40 isn't out of the question at all.

1 amazing player (maybe the best in the game), 1 used to be superstar and 1 suppose to be superstar + weak secondary.. Julio could have a huge day on screens.