What would you expect from many NFL players who thruout their life they :

1) Never had any real job or responsibility.

2) Were pampered and coddled like a baby his whole life by admirers.

3) Is paid $$$$$$$ beyond any rational human culture........for playing a kids game.

4) Is out of touch with reality......on steroids.

And, we're supposed to be surprised ???

What would you expect from many NFL players who thruout their life they :

1) Never had any real job or responsibility.

2) Were pampered and coddled like a baby his whole life by admirers.

3) Is paid $$$$$$$ beyond any rational human culture........for playing a kids game.

4) Is out of touch with reality......on steroids.

And, we're supposed to be surprised ???

Have you never seen an E60? A lot of these guys grew up in poverty, with abusive fathers, etc. Pampered my ***.

Have you never seen an E60? A lot of these guys grew up in poverty, with abusive fathers, etc. Pampered my ***.

Aside from the Johnny Manziel's of the football world, a lot of these kids (to your point) come from almost nothing. I also will concede that they are earning a lot of money and don't have the best money management skills.

Aside from the Johnny Manziel's of the football world, a lot of these kids (to your point) come from almost nothing. I also will concede that they are earning a lot of money and don't have the best money management skills.

Exactly a lot of them weren't taught right from wrong growing up and how do you expect poor parents to teach money management? Granted this is no excuse because some guys learn on their own but you can't expect them all to. If a young boy growing up sees his mama taking beatings and she stays and takes it as messed up as it sounds that will be the norm in his mind.

And have hanger-ons/possies that expect the player to support them, etc. There was a great article in ESPN the Magazine a few months ago about one football player and the crap he went through from family and friends and finally just had to say 'no' and cut them all off. He can't even be around them they were so bad.

Although to be honest with you I personally couldn't care less about the OP and how many get arrested and don't, etc.

Edited by fuego

Exactly a lot of them weren't taught right from wrong growing up and how do you expect poor parents to teach money management? Granted this is no excuse because some guys learn on their own but you can't expect them all to. If a young boy growing up sees his mama taking beatings and she stays and takes it as messed up as it sounds that will be the norm in his mind.

From what I've heard, the league started teaching Fiscal responsibility courses to the incoming rookies a few years back. I think it's a good thing.

And have hanger-ons/possies that expect the player to support them, etc. There was a great article in ESPN the Magazine a few months ago about one football player and the crap he went through from family and friends and finally just had to say 'no' and cut them all off. He can't even be around them they were so bad.

Although to be honest with you I personally couldn't care less about the OP and how many get arrested and don't, etc.

I think I read the same article, forget who the player was. I know there are a lot of the athletes that have to do that with their family and friends

Just a short excerpt from it:

In the summer of 2012, Schorsch filed to have a protective order placed against Smith's parents and siblings, prohibiting them from having contact with him. The event that precipitated the protective order occurred on June 16 when Smith's mother and stepfather confronted him publicly while he was working at a youth football camp at his alma mater, Rancho Verde High School in Moreno Valley. "We did as little as possible to accomplish as much as possible," Schorsch says.

And yet on the night of Saturday, Oct. 27, 2012, with Smith at the team hotel on the eve of a home game against the Giants, two of his sisters arrived unannounced at the home Smith shared with Costa in North Dallas.

The doorbell rang, and Costa looked through the glass in the door and froze.

"You need to let us in this house," one of them said.

"Why?" Costa answered. "You've made threats against my life. I don't know what you have on you right now, and your brother's not here."

Costa said she called the police after the women repeatedly said, "We're not leaving until you let us in." Three days later, on Tuesday afternoon, two of Smith's sisters were among three people who returned to the house. This time, Smith called 911 and police cited the women for disorderly conduct. A Dallas police report noted that Smith's sisters were there to "harass and torment ... in the pursuit of collecting financial gain."

Just crazy.

And a lot of these guys just can't say 'no'.

Edited by fuego

From what I've read their arrest percentage is less than the average 20-39 year old American. Although one would think, when making that much money they'd stop messing up. I'd like to see it compared to those in the same wage scale. Although then you have to compare those who were brought up similar.

Although one would think, when making that much money they'd stop messing up.

The problem with getting a windfall of money is it doesn't change you, it just makes you more of what you already are. If you were a jerk before you got rich, now you'll be a bigger jerk. If you were irresponsible with money before you rich, now you'll be irresponsible with a lot more money and worse than when you were broke. For them to change it really takes some education and mentoring on the subject. They literally have to change their character. Easier said than done.

It's too easy to get arrested in this country, and most things that used to get a lecture from a cop and a warning are videotaped and turned in for prosecution or th cop gets arrested for "favoritism".

It's just that nobody cares about the other 99 guys that are not college or NFL players when they are busted.

Weed, DUI, pushing away a screaming woman for a family violence battery, taking a punch from a dude at a club, etc.. Add in crazy gold diggers and posses and social media, it's inevitable.

NFL players are no worse than any other profession. Society and the media like to pick and choose what they want to be outraged about. I'm pretty sure individuals in every profession such as doctors, lawyers, teachers, accountants etc that get arrested every month.

It's a numbers thing--there are hundreds of 1000s in those other professions but only about 848

active pro football players

My point was this: Crime it not limited to football players. But you went ahead and linked crime to the United States (by "fixing" my post) and implying in your own post that players with rough backgrounds contribute to the crime..LOL..where's your research?

No, crime is not limited to football players, but my point was, you can't just say "It's the way of the world". You are going to have a higher arrests per player ratio, if you recruit players in a country with a high crime rate. The contrast between living in poverty vs. playing in the NFL is pretty big, and some of the players can't put their past behind them (like Vick and Aaron Hernandez).

NFL players are no worse than any other profession. Society and the media like to pick and choose what they want to be outraged about. I'm pretty sure individuals in every profession such as doctors, lawyers, teachers, accountants etc that get arrested every month.

True, but people expects them to act as role models for young kids. You are right though .. A NFL player being arrested for a DUI makes headlines, while a teacher or doctor probably doesn't even get mentioned.