Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

**** Espn! Suck It

198 posts in this topic

The Falcons have a ton of fans.

This stat is off by several orders of magnitude.

Edit: By my calculations, the Falcons have 864,286 tons of fans assuming an average weight of 165 pounds per fan.

cnst likes this

You know what else helps a teams fan base, especially their national fan base? When ESPN fluffs you every year wether you are any good or not, like, for example, Dallas.

May not effect the hardcore fans, but it sure attracts the weekend warriors.

You know what else helps a teams fan base, especially their national fan base? When ESPN fluffs you every year wether you are any good or not, like, for example, Dallas.

May not effect the hardcore fans, but it sure attracts the weekend warriors.

And Let's add the Saints, Eagles, Broncos and most years Giants in there too!

Falconjerome likes this

Or winning multiple championships, not Division Titles but actual Super Bowls. There's a reason the Cowboys/Steelers/49ers/Pats/Giants are so popular with the media and in general. When you make 1 Super Bowl in 50 years it's hard to drum up support outside of a very small area.

Something fun to think about is IF the Falcons had the opportunities the Braves had with TBS they'd be vastly more popular, unfortunately the NFL doesn't allow NFL teams to negotiate their own TV contracts. The Falcons had the same situation in front of them that the Braves had, they were the only game in town in several states, going north up to DC and south down to Tampa if they had the opportunity to broadcast games like the Braves did they'd be a lot more popular.

The excuse of ATL being a transient city is an over played excuse as well, the South East is a college football hot spot, I've lived in every corner of this country and I've never lived in an area so obsessed with college ball. I think it's great I think the SEC/ACC play in the South is amazing. But it's just not as popular in other areas (outside of Texas where football in general is king) as it is here, Pro sports be it the NBA/MLB/NFL or yes, the NHL are far more popular in other areas of this country. I believe more money and support is spent on NCAA sports over any other entertainment aspect here in the South and that's OK. For all the complaining about the Falcons lacking the national spot light, look at the level of press UGA gets or Alabama/Auburn get on a yearly basis, that's where the coverage is coming from out of the South on major sports networks and that's OK.

JC Falcon likes this

It's true, I get a little depressed whenever I see DQ doing his press interviews. He's probably used to 20+ reporters during his time in Seattle. Now he has like 5 including DLed asking him why he didn't draft Gurley.

Seattle probably had 5 reporters at pressers 4-5 years ago, winning consistently cures all.

Winning brings out the bandwagon fans. Loyal fans are there no matter what the team is doing. You'll start to see the stadium bring in more and more fans as Quinn keeps winning.

I wouldn't even call them bandwagon fans, who REALLY wants to spend the money to go to see the Browns/Falcons in 2014? I'm a STH and even sitting in the stands I questioned what I was doing with my time and money. Nobody wants to watch a garbage product, even the most die hard fans. Proof of that has been all over message board the past few seasons.

Alright fine. Whatever! You guys win! ESPN is right. Atlanta fans suck big monkey balls and don't support their teams! How dare I even suggest otherwise.

I think he was supporting your point. A ton is 2000lbs, which is about 10 fans. If you were using it as a quantity of 2000, then it's still off by orders of magnitude.

Think he was trying to be funny.

north falcon likes this

What in the blue **** did I just watch?....walked my children to the bus stop, came back in the house to only see four Falcon fans at the hospital with their new borns. At this point I'm thinking" perfect timing, a Falcons piece on ESPN...the bandwagon is starting early". Man was I fooled. I literally had to do a double take to make sure I wasn't hearing it wrong....but I wasn't. ESPN are truly Falcons haters.

KJays_Daddy and Falconsfan567 like this

I am in my 50th year of fanhood for this team, which coincidentally is in its 50th year of existence.

I know others who have been there since the beginning, have been born into the tradition, have come to love the Falcons due to family, friends, events in their life or even a player they followed here or loved to watch.

It doesn't matter how we got to the point of being a Falcon fan, really, what matters is that we've stayed. We've stayed through the disrespect of the media, through the lean years of wins, through humiliating years, hopeful years, huge disappointments and even ridicule.

Are we as large a base as the Cowboy fans, Steeler fans, 49er fans, Giant fans or many other teams?

No. It isn't even close. I've been to games where I lost my voice just trying to shout down the other teams fan base taking over our stadium.

I've watched our fans arrive in mid 1st or even 2nd quarter. Watched them leave in droves well before the 4th quarter ended. Seen what looked like a sea of the "other" color in our home stadium - and even heard the other teams "chant" take over the air.

I still did my best, along with all our other Falcon faithful, to support our team and let them know we were there. I show up, go in early, get as loud as I possibly can when our D is on the field, and stay to clap the guys off the field at the end - win or lose.

I travel to as many away games as family and work will allow. I purchase all things Falcon and sport it proudly, regardless of where I am.

There are many fans just like me. We love the Falcons with a burning passion that remains no matter how hurt we may end up at the end of the season.

So, what's the point? The point is that we may not be as many, but we are damned sure as true. We are loyal and despite having to put up with the disdain of others, despite having been the laughing stock some years, the overlooked many years and the sparsely represented "in comparison" to the "Big Guys", we remain true.

ESPN is pissed off because we did show up in Jerry's house the other day. You could hear it - and you could see it. Atlanta repped. So, now, they have to do some damage control.

Let it come. We can take it. We've taken worse - and we, like the phrase or not Falcon fans, continue to Rise Up!

Or winning multiple championships, not Division Titles but actual Super Bowls. There's a reason the Cowboys/Steelers/49ers/Pats/Giants are so popular with the media and in general. When you make 1 Super Bowl in 50 years it's hard to drum up support outside of a very small area.

Something fun to think about is IF the Falcons had the opportunities the Braves had with TBS they'd be vastly more popular, unfortunately the NFL doesn't allow NFL teams to negotiate their own TV contracts. The Falcons had the same situation in front of them that the Braves had, they were the only game in town in several states, going north up to DC and south down to Tampa if they had the opportunity to broadcast games like the Braves did they'd be a lot more popular.

The excuse of ATL being a transient city is an over played excuse as well, the South East is a college football hot spot, I've lived in every corner of this country and I've never lived in an area so obsessed with college ball. I think it's great I think the SEC/ACC play in the South is amazing. But it's just not as popular in other areas (outside of Texas where football in general is king) as it is here, Pro sports be it the NBA/MLB/NFL or yes, the NHL are far more popular in other areas of this country. I believe more money and support is spent on NCAA sports over any other entertainment aspect here in the South and that's OK. For all the complaining about the Falcons lacking the national spot light, look at the level of press UGA gets or Alabama/Auburn get on a yearly basis, that's where the coverage is coming from out of the South on major sports networks and that's OK.

When was Dallas's last championship? The 49ers last championship?

Dallas was nineteen years ago, many fans weren't even BORN then, the ones that were twenty then are approaching their 40th birthday. I think "Well Dallas won a superbowl" runs out of currency when you are talking twenty years ago. I think San Fransisco won a championship runs out of currency when it was twenty years ago.