Did you even read the post?

Removing outliers is a common course of action when analyzing statistics in any number of fields. It is perfectly applicable in football. It provides a better understanding for what the bulk of the carries went for.

lol ok

No I agree, I hate when that is done. But I think FreeRad was just trying to say that the running game was a consistent running game on each carry, which I understand the point he is making.

I know what he was trying at...its unnecessary still...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had those kind of games lol. The defense playing hard at the beginning but once you break of a 20, 15, 40, it starts going down hill from there. I used to look at them with their hands on their hips with their heads looking upwards gasping for air. After that I knew we had em. I wanted the ball everytine because I knew it was gonna be a big run. That's when the shoving would start. Lol. It would still be that one guy like you that was up to the task and each time he hit me it hurt even tho he was tired. Lol

Those guys make life hard. When big guys are running tho...I don't care if its 1.5 yds it sucks.

Those guys make life hard. When big guys are running tho...I don't care if its 1.5 yds it sucks.

Hate the little muscled guys more tbh. I only played a little defense (was mostly tight end in "meaningful" football) but in high school tackling drills with our 2nd string RB I hated tackling him wayyy more than the 1st string...I was over 6 ft and he was 5'7 and built, no neck and a nasty attitude running it. I can get low on some guys but when you're as tall as I am and a dude like him is coming at you low to the ground, it's like a pinball. I pretty much had to abandon form and just try and level my pads just under his on the hit because if you think too much and get too low he would mess you up. But then again, there's a reason I liked blocking more than playing LB lol. Was never that great at it.

I can tell either some of you never played or at least didn't play as an adult. Those long run plays are WORSE than any long pass plays. In fact they are demoralizing, back breaking, physically and mentally exhausting. I hated those more than the 4-7 yd runs. Yeah the shorter runs hurt, but the 17 and 75 yd runs were near debilitating. It doesn't make any point outside of whatever the heck to take out the longest run. I have lost more games because someone took off for a 20yd run at just the right moment.

I don't think the point you're making here and the ops point are mutually exclusive. I agree with both. That said, no kidding those chunk runs are back breaking. It's the worst feeling in the world.

lol ok

I know what he was trying at...its unnecessary still...

It's hard to converse sometimes with you kog. Lol

And I mean no offense at all. But just cuz you don't like the analysis doesn't exactly mean it's errant or wrong right? ;) different strokes for different folks I guess. I just don't think it had anything to do whosoever with being unnecessary or not. That's completely besides the point.

Hate the little muscled guys more tbh. I only played a little defense (was mostly tight end in "meaningful" football) but in high school tackling drills with our 2nd string RB I hated tackling him wayyy more than the 1st string...I was over 6 ft and he was 5'7 and built, no neck and a nasty attitude running it. I can get low on some guys but when you're as tall as I am and a dude like him is coming at you low to the ground, it's like a pinball. I pretty much had to abandon form and just try and level my pads just under his on the hit because if you think too much and get too low he would mess you up. But then again, there's a reason I liked blocking more than playing LB lol. Was never that great at it.

Hahaaaaaa!!! Oh yea!!! Sounds like I would've given you fits. I was that guy you and kog both hated chasing. Lol

That's a relatively unnoticed number since our victory over the Cowboys yesterday. 17. 17 is the longest run Devonta Freeman had yesterday. 17 is even bigger when you combine that with 4.7 That's the average number of yards Freeman gained for every rush attempt. Let me propose two scenarios.

1. 30 carries, 141 yards, with a 75 yard long. Remove the 1 rush for 75 yards, and you have 29 carries for 66 yards, or 2.3 YPC.

2. 30 carries, 141 yards, with a 17 yard long. Remove the 1 rush for 17 yards, and you have 29 carries for 124 yards, and a 4.3 YPC.

Why is this a big deal? This means that we are consistently moving the ball on the ground. This means that we can run the ball four times in a row and get the first down. This means that our line is winning in the trenches more times than not. That's a beautiful thing. In years past, if we had a game where are running game came away with a high YPC, it was usually do to one or two big runs inflating the numbers, with every other run being an example of binary (0010111010). With a passing game as strong as ours, that means that when we attempted to run, we were consistently losing against the other teams front. That's a losing formula in the NFL, period.

Yesterday we won in the trenches, outright, and that's not something this Falcons team has done against much of anyone for a while. That's something to be excited about if you're a Falcons fan.

You are absolutely right. This is what I have been saying for quite some time. The best run offense is the run offense that can consistently gain 3 yards, when they are absolutely needed. With that simple threat, defenses are forced to pull defenders closer to the LOS. And, when that occurs, a lot of fun stuff happens in the air.

That's a relatively unnoticed number since our victory over the Cowboys yesterday. 17. 17 is the longest run Devonta Freeman had yesterday. 17 is even bigger when you combine that with 4.7 That's the average number of yards Freeman gained for every rush attempt. Let me propose two scenarios.

1. 30 carries, 141 yards, with a 75 yard long. Remove the 1 rush for 75 yards, and you have 29 carries for 66 yards, or 2.3 YPC.

2. 30 carries, 141 yards, with a 17 yard long. Remove the 1 rush for 17 yards, and you have 29 carries for 124 yards, and a 4.3 YPC.

Why is this a big deal? This means that we are consistently moving the ball on the ground. This means that we can run the ball four times in a row and get the first down. This means that our line is winning in the trenches more times than not. That's a beautiful thing. In years past, if we had a game where are running game came away with a high YPC, it was usually do to one or two big runs inflating the numbers, with every other run being an example of binary (0010111010). With a passing game as strong as ours, that means that when we attempted to run, we were consistently losing against the other teams front. That's a losing formula in the NFL, period.

Yesterday we won in the trenches, outright, and that's not something this Falcons team has done against much of anyone for a while. That's something to be excited about if you're a Falcons fan.

U make a great point few talk about. I'll be lambasted here, but its why I wasnt a fan of Barry Sanders. One miraculous, amazing, mindblowing 80 yarder with 20 1 yard runs. Wow, another 100 yd game for the great back. You dont win that way. How many rings does he have? Playoff victories? Everyone will say his teams sucked, maybe, but his style isnt conducive to winning football, imho. Edited by Dawggone

He ran hard in both halves. It was Ryan's struggles that kept us out of the game in the first half. Once he righted the ship we were unstoppable.

It wasnt even that. It was the defense that got punched in the mouth twice. That's why we have defense. If the offense gets off to a slow start they're supposed to get the ball back for us. They didn't start doing that til the second half.

U make a great point few talk about. I'll be lambasted here, but its why I wasnt a fan of Barry Sanders. One miraculous, amazing, mindblowing 80 yarder with 20 1 yard runs. Wow, another 100 yd game for the great back. You dont win that way. How many rings does he have? Playoff victories? Everyone will say his teams sucked, maybe, but his style isnt conducive to winning football, imho.

Sanders' power element is incredibly underrated nowadays. He broke a ton of tackles and I wasn't even alive for the majority of his games. Not Bo Jackson but the dude had a slippery sort of power.

Either way, what you're saying isn't true, I'm not even going to look up the game logs but it flat out isn't. Feel free to look them up yourself. Guarantee he had games without giant runs like you're saying where he still had a ton of yards.

It's hard to converse sometimes with you kog. Lol

And I mean no offense at all. But just cuz you don't like the analysis doesn't exactly mean it's errant or wrong right? ;) different strokes for different folks I guess. I just don't think it had anything to do whosoever with being unnecessary or not. That's completely besides the point.

it's useless. Not my opinion it's true. It shows nothing at all.

If you think I'm bad here, you should see me coaching.

You never remove the biggest run. When did people start doing that to make a point with RB's?

It's called removing the outliier. If you consistently gain less than 3 yards, that usually means your line is losing the battle in the trenches or you have a REALLY bad RB. When you see consistent positive gains, the line is winning. I wasn't making any comment about the RB at all. Huge runs are usually a testament to the RB, meaning they have the speed/agility to break away for big chunks. If I see a running game that's producing binary rushing numbers, then I look to question the line, especially if I see large chunk gains.

It's called removing the outliier. If you consistently gain less than 3 yards, that usually means your line is losing the battle in the trenches or you have a REALLY bad RB. When you see consistent positive gains, the line is winning. I wasn't making any comment about the RB at all. Huge runs are usually a testament to the RB, meaning they have the speed/agility to break away for big chunks. If I see a running game that's producing binary rushing numbers, then I look to question the line, especially if I see large chunk gains.

I know what it's called man. It's not football. If you like it go ahead but this is normally used to downplay talent. Not much more. You do what you want man. Don't care.

You can't take a play that happened away tho. There's been plenty of games if you take away Turners chunk runs his stats would look terrible. Same with Barry Sander, AP, Jim Brown or ANY back that's ever broken if a big run. Most of them are in the HOF because they had the ability to break chunk runs. It just doesn't make sense to do this really. It's like saying if you take away that 3 Jordan hit then we win the game 89-87. If the play happened it happened.

Ha! You said chunk runs! Huh huh huh huh

I know what it's called man. It's not football. If you like it go ahead but this is normally used to downplay talent. Not much more. You do what you want man. Don't care.

I honestly think you're both making the same point. Freeman averaged around five yards a carry all day long, which is **** near ideal. He didn't average 2ypc and have his stats padded by one big run.

He popped off nearly 5 per, which wore their D the **** out, kept their offense off the field, and allowed us to put up some points and blank them in the second half, because our D was rested when they had to hit the field.