Dropped Passes That Nobody Is Talking About

Balls are dropped in every game by every receiver. Do they learn from it and move on? You bet. Both had great catches later in the game. The feel that Quinn has brought to the team is a never give up attitude, which these guys are all over. That's why both had big catches later in the game and we won. Never quit. That's new to the team and very new to the fans.

you missed the point and did not answer my question How many misfires by Ryan is acceptable?/

If the WRs need a 90 or 100% catch rate

Why is a 70% pass rate by Ryan good????? why not harp on Ryan for not having a 90% rate??

I'm sure some of his misfires will effect future games

Probably because the question was irrelevant but let's get this off topic question cleared up real quick. This particular thread is about dropped passes.

Why do people get off subject when in other topics?

You've been here for a longggggg time and there have been plenty of threads about Matt Ryan's success and failures.

If you would like to make a thread about Matt Ryan's incompletions or bad throws, then be my guest.

Balls are dropped in every game by every receiver. Do they learn from it and move on? You bet. Both had great catches later in the game. The feel that Quinn has brought to the team is a never give up attitude, which these guys are all over. That's why both had big catches later in the game and we won. Never quit. That's new to the team and very new to the fans.

if they don't their gone ie that Parker guy @ NYG

Am i the only one that noticed that Hankerson and Devonta Freeman dropped a lot of balls? I know for sure Devonta Freeman dropped at least 2. I know Hankerson dropped 2 also??? I have to watch again to see who else dropped some passes but those 2 stood out. I know they also made important catches in the game but we gotta stop dropping those passes!

I don't think people are complaining because #1, we won. #2, they are both pretty young guys. Freeman is in his second year and Hankerson just completed 2 seasons worth of NFL games at the start of this season. They will get better with time hopefully. Everyone is asking "where was Roddy"? This was a guy that couldn't catch a cold his first two seasons. He followed that with 6 years straight of 80+ receptions and 1,000+ yards receiving. Time and experience results in growth in a lot of cases. Hopefully Freeman and Hankerson will get there and the team will not suffer too much while they are growing.

I was telling my friends that Freeman catches everything and then he proceeded to drop two easy passes that would have been first downs.

He did redeem himself with some good catches. Freeman and Hankerson both ended up with some good catches after drops so it sort of worked out.

Well, one of the Freeman drops killed a drive. Plus, the kid can't rush. If he's going to be a one trick pony, pass-catching RB, he needs to be more reliable with it. Right now he looks like a poor man's Jaquizz to me... and I wasn't a big fan of Jaquizz.

I'm very worried about the running game at the moment.

Funny you use that language. I've always thought of him as a rich mans Quizz

you missed the point and did not answer my question How many misfires by Ryan is acceptable?/

Why is a 70% pass rate by Ryan good????? why not harp on Ryan for not having a 90% rate??

90% has never been done by a QB. WR are constantly above 90%.

Over a 3 year period (this was posted in 2012) here are the top 5:

Rank Player Current Team Drops Catchable Drop Rate

1 Earl Bennett CHI 4 127 3.15%

2 Larry Fitzgerald ARZ 9 275 3.27%

3 Kevin Walter HST 5 148 3.38%

4 Lance Moore NO 5 136 3.68%

5 Malcom Floyd SD 6 131 4.58%

6 Reggie Wayne IND 14 300 4.67%

Here are the worst drop % over the same 3 year period:

1 Roy E. Williams FA 19 130 14.62%

2 James Jones GB 20 139 14.39%

3 Mike A. Williams TB 20 149 13.42%

4 DeSean Jackson PHI 25 193 12.95%

5 Brandon Gibson SL 18 141 12.77%

So the worst was around 85%. According to ESPN Hankerson had 11 targets and according to people here he had 2 drops. That's 18% which would be the worst. I'm not sure if all were catchable. If they weren't his % of dropped catchable passes would be even worse.

That said he did make up huge by catching that TD (I don't believe for a second that HD would have caught that). We won so I don't really care.

Edited by HatedInRayJay1

90% has never been done by a QB. WR are constantly above 90%.

Over a 3 year period (this was posted in 2012) here are the top 5:

1 Earl Bennett CHI 4 127 3.15%

2 Larry Fitzgerald ARZ 9 275 3.27%

3 Kevin Walter HST 5 148 3.38%

4 Lance Moore NO 5 136 3.68%

5 Malcom Floyd SD 6 131 4.58%

6 Reggie Wayne IND 14 300 4.67%

Here are the worst drop % over the same 3 year period:

1 Roy E. Williams FA 19 130 14.62%

2 James Jones GB 20 139 14.39%

3 Mike A. Williams TB 20 149 13.42%

4 DeSean Jackson PHI 25 193 12.95%

5 Brandon Gibson SL 18 141 12.77%

So the worst was around 85%. According to ESPN Hankerson had 11 targets and according to people here he had 2 drops. That's 18% which would be the worst. I'm not sure if all were catchable. If they weren't his % of dropped catchable passes would be even worse.

That said he did make up huge by catching that TD (I don't believe for a second that HD would have caught that). We won so I don't really care.

Good post. Nobody is dogging Hankerson. Most here are very proud of him and how he came back strong, especially on that TD catch although he double caught it. Lol.

But I also understand that IF those drops continue they are going to become more crucial as the season continues and the end result may not be as pretty as the one last Sunday.

Dropped passes are just a reality, and when it's in crucial situations, it's only magnified. This early in the season, I'm not too worried about it I just hope Hank and Free can get their act together, and try to limit 'em, as time goes on --- and I'm sure that Quinn & Co. will see that it happens!

GO, YOU DIRTY BIRDS!!!!!!!

He's a #3 talent-level receiver.

We're using him as our #3 receiver.

#3 receivers drop balls, lack speed, and/or are questionable route runners.

That is why they are #3 receivers.

That's the simple reality of the position, and those that play it.

I think you are wrong, if that is your opinion of Hankerson.

It seems to me that he is better than that.

Am i the only one that noticed that Hankerson and Devonta Freeman dropped a lot of balls? I know for sure Devonta Freeman dropped at least 2. I know Hankerson dropped 2 also??? I have to watch again to see who else dropped some passes but those 2 stood out. I know they also made important catches in the game but we gotta stop dropping those passes!

no I saw it and some made me jump out my seat cause they were pretty open. None were wideopen td certain plays but vital 1st down plays. I think freeman will play a lot better with the more reps in practice. Man im gonna miss coleman, he was showing some grit, but the same can be said of freeman as well. hhankerson would have had some good yards had he cought those dropped balls.

Yikes. Incompletions =\= drops. Dropping the ball means it hit you in the hands. An incompletion could be a throw-away or even a great play by a defender.

Yes. You are the only one that noticed that. The rest of us wear Falcon colored glasses and only see the good plays for positive yards. I have never seen a MR interception through my glasses.............

OK - [smartasss/off] - the NYG had some drops, too, including the one at the end of the game that sealed it for ATL. It happens. These guys are good and make it look so easy that when they do have a drop, the fans are in disbelief. It ain't as easy as it appears! The catch that Julio made was off a horrible pass by Ryan where JJ just went all freaky and did the impossible. But we don't get to see those all the time. I think Freeman is actually a good receiver. Gotta give him time to acclimate. He missed a lot of PS with the injury. He'll be fine.

I can live with 1 dropped pass per player on the offense per game, but 2 and 3 in 1 game is when I have a problem. I love this team more then anything and I know he will only play better but those were really easy passes and those were probably going to be big plays if he caught them and would've made the game a lot easier for us to win. If we had lost this game, I swear people would've brought this subject up.

It's not like Freeman was being defended to make it a difficult catch, he was WIDE OPEN.

Edited by jj00100