Pass Rush.

Oldskooler

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lornoth most guys just want results. They have no clue what they're looking at or why something happened the way it did. They don't understand cover 3 or that that OBJ td was not Alford's fault in coverage or that we get pressure with our front four without blitzing. The Seahawks had the #1 defense last season but one of the lowest in sacks. Quinn's defense isn't about sacks. It's about making the qb uncomfortable and get him to rush or hurry throws. That's why it's so many underneath throws on us. That's what cover 3 allows. The guys just have to tackle once the catch is made. That's why Quinn emphasized tackling and technique because he's aware it'll be lots of underneath short passes.

In the 2nd & 3rd quarters the pass rush wasn't really there but they stepped up big time in crunch time

And this post was created when Eli was just standing there playing pitch&catch with OBJr. A three man Smitty-style rush, and a WR running free through our entire secondary, despite having 8 in coverage. The pass rush did indeed pick up when we needed it most. But when the Giants were slapping 20 points at will on us, until Kroy's strip-sack, we had little if any effective pressure.

Edited by Oldskooler

And this post was created when Eli was just standing there playing pitch&catch with OBJr. A three man Smitty-style rush, and a WR running free through our entire secondary, despite having 8 in coverage. The pass rush did indeed pick up when we needed it most. But when the Giants were slapping 20 points at will on us, until Kroy's strip-sack, we had little if any effective pressure.

It's quick passes man. We were sending 4 every time. The long td was a SHORT pass that OBJ took the distance. Again, short passes are what cover 3 allows. They have to make the tackle once it's caught. It's hard to get to a qb when he's letting the ball go fast. Eli never just stood up in the pocket. It was all fast throws.

Lornoth most guys just want results. They have no clue what they're looking at or why something happened the way it did. They don't understand cover 3 or that that OBJ td was not Alford's fault in coverage or that we get pressure with our front four without blitzing. The Seahawks had the #1 defense last season but one of the lowest in sacks. Quinn's defense isn't about sacks. It's about making the qb uncomfortable and get him to rush or hurry throws. That's why it's so many underneath throws on us. That's what cover 3 allows. The guys just have to tackle once the catch is made. That's why Quinn emphasized tackling and technique because he's aware it'll be lots of underneath short passes.

Thread/ You should save this post because they'll be a billion more threads about the pass rush since most posters here believe if it's not on the stat sheet it's not there.

It's quick passes man. We were sending 4 every time. The long td was a SHORT pass that OBJ took the distance. Again, short passes are what cover 3 allows. They have to make the tackle once it's caught. It's hard to get to a qb when he's letting the ball go fast. Eli never just stood up in the pocket. It was all fast throws.

The long OBJr. TD was on a 3-man rush.

For an extended period, our defense was neither getting to the QB nor making the tackle once it's caught, in both games.

We need more consistency. Wait--- we need to more consistently effective. Last year our defense was incredibly consistent.

I am very happy at the results, but we need to see improvement. I am more concerned with improvement of play from game to game than I am the outcome of the games. I still believe that we won't be a serious championship contender until NEXT season. If we win a lot of games and go to the playoffs this year? FANTASTIC! But just an appetizer. The main course will be served next year, when our young talent is more seasoned, and everyone is more comfortable in the new schemes installed this offseason.

I'm not being critical of the team, really. I am saying what I would like to see. More consistency, no let-downs or coasting.

The long OBJr. TD was on a 3-man rush.

For an extended period, our defense was neither getting to the QB nor making the tackle once it's caught, in both games.

We need more consistency. Wait--- we need to more consistently effective. Last year our defense was incredibly consistent.

I am very happy at the results, but we need to see improvement. I am more concerned with improvement of play from game to game than I am the outcome of the games. I still believe that we won't be a serious championship contender until NEXT season. If we win a lot of games and go to the playoffs this year? FANTASTIC! But just an appetizer. The main course will be served next year, when our young talent is more seasoned, and everyone is more comfortable in the new schemes installed this offseason.

I'm not being critical of the team, really. I am saying what I would like to see. More consistency, no let-downs or coasting.

Bold is the important bit, I completely agree. If this defense continues to build chemistry and be consistent, they can be really good. Right now, they're just middle of the road with really encouraging flashes. And tbh, average is better than a lot of people expected. Wasn't everyone talking about how if we were ranked around 20 that would be a huge improvement? And starting off the season 2-0 with such a difficult beginning to a relatively easy schedule wasn't expected at all.

Two and Oh.

Yall mofos are lookin for perfection. I'm lookin for rest.

Saw a 93 year old Falcon fan get laid to rest yesterday.

I know he loved this win.

Shoutout to anyone who seriously thinks FFS1970 is a troll.

Guest facelessman07

Bold is the important bit, I completely agree. If this defense continues to build chemistry and be consistent, they can be really good. Right now, they're just middle of the road with really encouraging flashes. And tbh, average is better than a lot of people expected. Wasn't everyone talking about how if we were ranked around 20 that would be a huge improvement? And starting off the season 2-0 with such a difficult beginning to a relatively easy schedule wasn't expected at all.

You know better than that. Once the wins start piling up, perfection is expected. Immediately

Lol

I thought it was a little disappointing early but part of that was what the Giants were doing in getting the ball out quickly.

As the game wore on and Eli had to pick up chunks of yardage, our pass rush was there and pretty strong. For a defense thats a work in progress, thats encouraging.

And for the second week in a row, the offense and defense worked together to walk away with a win. A terrific feeling.

agree, a pass rush is a quick fix but what I have seen the last two weeks is a good 4-man rush that consistently stops the run. I like our DL.

I think Alford did a decent job against a tough Odell Beckham too----I like where are heading and not too concerned about the D

And another thing, the OL was good again--not great but decent. Matt Ryan wasn't getting knocked around

Edited by Nono

I decided to start watching Beasley exclusively after the first half when our defense was out there. Legitimately had the LT's arm around his throat trying to stop him from turning the corner almost every single play. And only one holding penalty called on him (two I guess, one declined). Ridiculous.

But he's definitely making an impact. Schofield too. More disappointed in Clayborn than anything.

Agree. Biermann is even playing well...but clayborn is kinda meh thus far

Two and Oh.

Yall mofos are lookin for perfection. I'm lookin for rest.

Saw a 93 year old Falcon fan get laid to rest yesterday.

I know he loved this win.

Seriously? I find it hard to believe that a non-football employee places so much emphasis on a team's success to define their life. If they do, I feel sorry for them.

If the Falcons never have another winning season I will still have had a heckuva life

It's a game. Entertainment