Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MD-FalconFan13

Odell Beckham Vs Desmond Trufant (Nyg Vs Atl)

58 members have voted

1. 1. How many yards will Odell have Sunday?

• 50 or less
    • 50 - 80
    • 80 - 100
    • 100+

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

29 posts in this topic

So as we should know the Giants are up next on our schedule. I took a look at last year's matchup, a very winnable game, that we lost 20-30 to do a little research on my lunch break.

This game was Odell's first NFL game. We also held him to his 3rd lowest total of an epic rookie year

Here's Odell's numbers:

. catches yards Ypc TDs

Odell Beckham Jr. 4 44 11.0 1

Not bad for his first game. A couple things stood out. He is very shifty and hard to read for ANY CB. It's very difficult to read his body motion and he can stop and cut on a dime. He could have had a few more yards but for a couple bad passes. Also, the TD he caught was on Alford. He easily stopped, elevated and snagged the pass before Alford even really turned around to contest it. And Alford is a decent corner with great speed, no scrub. Also he is a catalyst for other receivers as his play often feeds the entire offense alot like Julio does for us. I really would like to see what the NYG offense will look like with another quality receiver out there once Victor Cruz gets back.

Even before they do get Cruz back, they already have some young guys that are dangerous when Eli is on his game. Preston Parker, Rueben Randle to name 2 in particular are big targets that move well.

Lucky for us we have a young defensive back that may be able to match up with OBJ. Enter Desmond Trufant. Trufant is really emerging as one of the premier young defensive talents at the CB position. He's going to have to earn his money this week as Odell will push him physically and mentally. I for one think that Trufant, like any CB trying to cover a top WR, will struggle at the beginning and hit his stride as the game wears on. Fatigue is rarely and issue with Tru.

So a few days away from the showdown date what do you guys think is the over/under?

I'm going with 50-80 yds. Have at it.

Odell had a good game last time we played in NY. I'm not positive Tru will be on him every play.

I'm going 80-100. There will be a long yardage play somewhere in the mix eventually.

well, the problem with this poll is. Odell plays just like Julio. left, right, slot, behind the line, while Trufant will mostly be on his side of the field all game. I think ODB gets around 100 yards, they will try to find ways to get him the ball away from Tru, if Tru shuts him down.

well, the problem with this poll is. Odell plays just like Julio. left, right, slot, behind the line, while Trufant will mostly be on his side of the field all game. I think ODB gets around 100 yards, they will try to find ways to get him the ball away from Tru, if Tru shuts him down.

Did you miss the part where Quinn said we'll likely match Tru with Odell at least a portion of the game?

Tim Mazetti likes this

I said 50-80, But DQ says that more often than not they play sides and not a lot of shadowing of specific players. I think they start out playing like they did last week. If OBJ starts going off than Trufant takes over covering him where ever he goes

He had 4 for 44 and 1 receiving td in his debut against the falcons last year. Had they known he would be as good as he was it probably would have been bigger. He was held to under 50 yards last week against Dallas.

Both of those games are now in the past. It doesn't matter how many yards he has, the most important is how many scores he has or scores he helps them get. We can sit back and talk about what Trufant will do all day. It's not a lock that he will shut him down and it's not a lock beckham will have a huge day. Tru can hold him to 20 yards but how much will that mean if he gives up 2 scores within those 20 yards. Pretty sure the cliche answer will be "well it's still considered shutdown". If I didn't know any better odell is their only hope for winning. He could have 300 yards and no scores while his teammates do all the damage in the end zone and people would still claim Trufant did this and that because he didn't score.

He had 4 for 44 and 1 receiving td in his debut against the falcons last year. Had they known he would be as good as he was it probably would have been bigger. He was held to under 50 yards last week against Dallas.

Both of those games are now in the past. It doesn't matter how many yards he has, the most important is how many scores he has or scores he helps them get. We can sit back and talk about what Trufant will do all day. It's not a lock that he will shut him down and it's not a lock beckham will have a huge day. Tru can hold him to 20 yards but how much will that mean if he gives up 2 scores within those 20 yards. Pretty sure the cliche answer will be "well it's still considered shutdown". If I didn't know any better odell is their only hope for winning. He could have 300 yards and no scores while his teammates do all the damage in the end zone and people would still claim Trufant did this and that because he didn't score.

So if you don't care why post in the thread?

So if you don't care why post in the thread?

let's see. If I give you the smart *** response that you're looking for, it gonna lead to a stupid argument simply because you disagree with my take on the topic.

So instead I'll not be that guy and say I was giving my opinion just like everyone else. Which is exactly what it is. My opinion.

Tru will handle him and Eli being Eli will try and force completions to him giving Tru many chances at interceptions. I wouldn't be surprised by a multiple Int game from Tru.

Our secondary is better than Dallas'. No reason for him to do much better against us than against the Cowboys.

Dallas doubled him the whole game and none of the other receivers stepped up. Eli only threw for 193 yards and had some bad drops by his receivers particularly Preston also lack of a running game didn't pull the safeties up to help the wrs
ya_boi_j likes this

Dallas doubled him the whole game and none of the other receivers stepped up. Eli only threw for 193 yards and had some bad drops by his receivers particularly Preston also lack of a running game didn't pull the safeties up to help the wrs

Ya I doubt Quinn sells out to double Beckham so Beckham will get his. We won't stop Beckham but we can hopefully limit the damage.

let's see. If I give you the smart *** response that you're looking for, it gonna lead to a stupid argument simply because you disagree with my take on the topic.

So instead I'll not be that guy and say I was giving my opinion just like everyone else. Which is exactly what it is. My opinion.

👍

At this point I truly wish obj was being covered by Trufant

We've allowed him over 100 yards and Tru hasn't cover him once.