Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

Defense

63 posts in this topic

Here's an objective, and "sky is not falling" thread about the defense.

The defense was great in the 1st half when the Eagles didn't do a lot of up tempo stuff. When most of their plays were straight at you plays. That's very encouraging because the Eagles are the only team in the NFL (maybe the Titans now that they have Mariota) that runs a lot of that high speed tempo crap.

Yes the defense struggled in the second half when nearly every play the Eagles ran was a speed sweep or a screen or a 5 yard pass. We saw at the end of the game when the Eagles were forced to go back to a traditional offense the defense stopped them again and sealed the game.

Anyone that has watched the Falcons for years has to be very encouraged by the way the defense played tonight.

blkbigdog35 likes this

FF567 man this defense impressed the **** out of me. Uptempo slowed down our pressure but Quinn stayed with his gameplan which will improve as the season progresses. Overall I'm very happy with where this team is now and trust it will definitely improve!! RISE UP!!!!

FF567 man this defense impressed the **** out of me. Uptempo slowed down our pressure but Quinn stayed with his gameplan which will improve as the season progresses. Overall I'm very happy with where this team is now and trust it will definitely improve!! RISE UP!!!!

Exactly. For the first time in years the Falcons have a defense that can actually hold up their end of the deal. The offense couldn't finish the deal tonight but the defense did. How many times did that happen when Smith was here?

Exactly. For the first time in years the Falcons have a defense that can actually hold up their end of the deal. The offense couldn't finish the deal tonight but the defense did. How many times did that happen when Smith was here?

Man it's hard to recollect for sure but I see big things coming from this defense.

Falcons defense looks to 'set it off' moving forward

• Vaughn McClure, ESPN Staff Writer

ATLANTA -- Dan Quinn has a saying, and this one doesn't include the words "fast" or "physical" either.

The Atlanta Falcons head coach has a way of inspiring his defensive players to elevate their games. Outside linebacker O'Brien Schofield, who also played under Quinn in Seattle, has grown accustomed to the brief but effective motivation tactic.

"Coach always asks the question, 'Who's going to be the one to set it off?' And I think that fires us up before the game," Schofield said. "Then you get the fans rocking, like they were rocking (Monday night). We just want to keep that energy and juice going."

Give Schofield and the defense credit for "setting it off" in Monday night's 26-24 season-opening win against the Philadelphia Eagles -- a win sealed by free safetyRicardo Allen's last minute interception of Jordan Matthews' dropped ball. A Falcons defense considered arguably the worst in the league the past few years looked energized and actually carried the offense in spurts. The defense held the high-octane Eagles to 3 of 12 on third down for a 25 percent conversion rate. Last season, the Falcons had the league's worst third-down defense, allowing opponents to convert 46.8 percent.

Schofield helped set the tone on the Eagles' second possession. He was the one who fought off two blocks to knock Eagles running back Demarco Murray back 5 yards on a stretch play. Murray stayed afloat for a second then was devoured by a host of Falcons, including rookie Vic Beasley, Jonathan Babineaux, and Adrian Clayborn. The result was 2-yard loss and a second consecutive three-and-out against the fast-paced Eagles.

"To see the rest of the defense swarm, man, that was energy right there," Schofield said. "We're playing for one another. We talk about knocking guys back and giving everybody a chance to get to the ball, and that was very evident."

Quinn's influence on the defense was clearly evident, too. The former Seahawks defensive coordinator had his share of playmakers in Seattle. No one was sure what to expect with the guys he inherited in Atlanta and the influx of veterans who hadn't reached their potential -- primarily because of injuries. But his attacking, 4-3 under defense with 3-4 personnel tendencies allows his defenders to play loose and free.

Newcomers Schofield and linebacker Justin Durant flew all over the field from the jump, and their teammates fed off it. Ascending middle linebacker Paul Worrilow carried over his playmaking from the preseason and came up with what proved to be the crucial stop of the game when he dropped Eagles running back Ryan Matthews for no gain on a third-and-1 play from the Falcons' 26-yard line. It led to a missed 44-yard field goal by Cody Parkey with 2 minutes, 32 seconds left that allowed the Falcons to maintain the lead.

"It's such a team effort, and everybody brings something different," Worrilow said of the defense. "We're all unique, but we're playing with that identical emotion and that passion. And I think that's huge. We're growing together.

"At the same time, it's one game. We're going to grow more. And we're going to go through some more hardships. It's going to bring us closer. But (Monday), the way we finished, I could [not] have been prouder of my teammates."

Not all was perfect, of course. The Falcons had some second-half hiccups which allowed the Eagles to erase a 20-3 deficit and take a 24-23 lead. They gave up five plays of 19-plus yards in the second half. Part of the adjustment going into Sunday's road matchup with Eli Manning and the New York Giants will be correcting those errors, which included a couple of missed tackles and blown assignments.

Strong safety William Moore, who had a tone-setting big hit and a key interception before the half thanks to pressure by rookie Grady Jarrett, was far from satisfied.

"We've got to come out with the same intensity in second halves," Moore said. "We let down a little bit in the third quarter (Monday), but we finished. We just have to come back with a little more energy in the second half."

Starting Sunday against the Giants.

"Same mindset: Go out and play fast and physical," Moore said. "It's not about them. It's more about us about knowing what we've got to do and playing fast."

Falconsfan567 likes this

There is no doubt that scheme and teaching have helped these guys significantly thus far. Sadly, the previous staff seemed to have lost sight of the teaching aspect of sport. It would explain why they leaned on vets all the time.

As for the overall performance of the defense, I'd add that a big help for the defense has been a total turnaround in time of possession. We are ranked 5th I think, and last year, we were way down the list in TOP, so it's a lot less pressure on the D.

I know it happened but honestly after Abraham most of my recollection was a D that only played for half the game. There were too many times I was praying to hold the opposition to a FG when they crossed the 50 after the half. It always seemed like if we did not get a stop before the 50 they would likely march all the way down. I am sure my perspective is skewed by my anger of letting so many teams back in the game but that is the way it seemed.

I have always hated the saying that yards don't matter points do when to comes to defense. If they are not giving up tons of yards the points have no shot of happening, right?

I know it happened but honestly after Abraham most of my recollection was a D that only played for half the game. There were too many times I was praying to hold the opposition to a FG when they crossed the 50 after the half. It always seemed like if we did not get a stop before the 50 they would likely march all the way down. I am sure my perspective is skewed by my anger of letting so many teams back in the game but that is the way it seemed.

I have always hated the saying that yards don't matter points do when to comes to defense. If they are not giving up tons of yards the points have no shot of happening, right?

I completely agree about the yards thing. Another thing I for the life of me couldn't get folks to understand that if your defense is giving up a ton of yards that means your offense has the ball less so there's less chance for them to score. People just keep saying that the yards didn't matter as long as we didn't give up the points. What a joke of an argument that is.

Finally likes this

I completely agree about the yards thing. Another thing I for the life of me couldn't get folks to understand that if your defense is giving up a ton of yards that means your offense has the ball less so there's less chance for them to score. People just keep saying that the yards didn't matter as long as we didn't give up the points. What a joke of an argument that is.

Exactly. Bend don't break defenses = playoff losses.

I'm just glad to see we don't have to worry about this with Coach Quinn. Our defense actually attacks which is so damm refreshing.

I'll always appreciate a team that gets beat by being too aggressive over one that gets beat by being too conservative.

As of today our defensive rankings 3rd against the run and 29th against the pass. Total defensive ranking is 21st. I think teams are passing more on us to keep up because we have been explosive on offense and we have shut down teams running games. I think as the season progresses our fron four should start to generate more pressure especially as Beasley gets more acclimated to the NFL.

Man I got a great feeling this defense can finish in the top ten.

Number one in rush defense. #Quinning just have the Front 7 he needs against the pass as in rushing the passer or covering checkdowns and TEs. He will get it though, how much could be changed in one off season?

Number one in rush defense. #Quinning just have the Front 7 he needs against the pass as in rushing the passer or covering checkdowns and TEs. He will get it though, how much could be changed in one off season?

Very true!

The pass rush will get better only when the Falcons learn to cover the middle of the field. Falcons cannot get pressure because the pass rush isn't given enough time to get to the QB. The middle off the field is wide open on every passing play which allows the QB to immediately get the snap and get rid of the ball which isn't allowing the pass rush to get there. The only time the Falcons get pressure is whenever a QB holds the ball longer trying to go deep. We've got great coverage on the outside which makes the QB hold the ball longer in those situations. They half to work together.

Yes, over the middle is bad, over the top has been good so far. A lot of this gets fixed with more pressure on the QB!

Hard to get pressure on the QB when he doesn't have to hold it no more than 2 seconds. There's been quite a few players where if the QB had held the ball 1 more second it's a sack.

Hard to get pressure on the QB when he doesn't have to hold it no more than 2 seconds. There's been quite a few players where if the QB had held the ball 1 more second it's a sack.

Yeah, I've noticed that. Beasley has been close several times. The good thing about that is it means our downfield coverage has been good and the opposing QBs have been going to the RBs instead of the WRs

Yeah, I've noticed that. Beasley has been close several times. The good thing about that is it means our downfield coverage has been good and the opposing QBs have been going to the RBs instead of the WRs

Yep. Downfield coverage has been solid this year.

Well they have to solve the issue of the middle of the field because you know teams are going to attack there. Lets hope Quinn considers making some schematic adjustments.