Tonight Comes Down To One Thing: Defense

Radiohead

Title says it all.

I know most of the conversation has been about the Falcons Offensive Line concerns, but the O-Line has been bad for years now and Ryan still finds a way to put up career numbers despite the lack of a run game, but all that is in the background.

If the O-Line struggles, it will hamper the chance for a victory, for sure.

But, if for once, the Falcons Defense can just not lose them the game and keep up with what looks to be a pretty scary Philly Offense, this game is going in the "W" column.

RISE

It comes down to a lot more than just defense. We need everything to work better than it has last year or preseason. We aren't a team that can win with a good offense and no defense, or a good defense and no offense. We need pash rush. We need run defense. We need o-line to run block (this is the biggest area IMO). We need to o-line to pass protect. These are all areas we HAVE to get better at to win (basically all areas). If even one of these areas is not improved, I don't like our chances.

It comes down to a lot more than just defense. We need everything to work better than it has last year or preseason. We aren't a team that can win with a good offense and no defense, or a good defense and no offense. We need pash rush. We need run defense. We need o-line to run block (this is the biggest area IMO). We need to o-line to pass protect. These are all areas we HAVE to get better at to win (basically all areas). If even one of these areas is not improved, I don't like our chances.

"Defense" is an all-inclusive term, just to be clear. lol

And for the Offense, I disagree, I expect them to put on some serious pressure in their front-7, but Ryan still finds a way in most games.

I think it's the run game.

We don't want a patchwork offensive line that has never played together to be in bad down and distance situations where you have to pass and the defense can just pin their ears back.

From what I saw Person isn't that great and having him make the oline calls terrifies me. D-line stunts could be trouble...

"Defense" is an all-inclusive term, just to be clear. lol

And for the Offense, I disagree, I expect them to put on some serious pressure in their front-7, but Ryan still finds a way in most games.

The oline has also never been in this situation before where the interior 3 are all completely different than last season and one of the starters is a guy we picked up a week ago.

The oline has also never been in this situation before where the interior 3 are all completely different than last season and one of the starters is a guy we picked up a week ago.

This is a solid point, but at the same time, can this combination be any worse than some that they have had in the past 2 seasons?

I'm just not sure.

I think it's the run game.

We don't want a patchwork offensive line that has never played together to be in bad down and distance situations where you have to pass and the defense can just pin their ears back.

From what I saw Person isn't that great and having him make the oline calls terrifies me. D-line stunts could be trouble...

I'm leaning more to this honestly. The defense looks legit, but every defense gets clobbered if they get tired. If we can control the run game even a little bit better than last year, things look good for the year.

Title says it all.

I know most of the conversation has been about the Falcons Offensive Line concerns, but the O-Line has been bad for years now and Ryan still finds a way to put up career numbers despite the lack of a run game, but all that is in the background.

If the O-Line struggles, it will hamper the chance for a victory, for sure.

But, if for once, the Falcons Defense can just not lose them the game and keep up with what looks to be a pretty scary Philly Offense, this game is going in the "W" column.

RISE

Agreed. If we let them score at will, there's no hope.

As I've said in another topic, over the last two years its not like we got blown out every week, horrible coaching decisions and a piss-poor defense are what cost us a number of games. I honestly think we are going to have a great game tonight against their defense on offense and then on defense we will apply more pressure all season long.

As I've said in another topic, over the last two years its not like we got blown out every week, horrible coaching decisions and a piss-poor defense are what cost us a number of games. I honestly think we are going to have a great game tonight against their defense on offense and then on defense we will apply more pressure all season long.

Yup

On paper, Falcons have trouble running the ball while the Eagles have one of the best run games in the league. If the Falcons can turn the tables on that differential even a little bit, that'd help. I'm excited to see what the young combo of Coleman and Freeman can do. Their career ledgers aren't very long, but Jackson simply was on the downside of his career and didn't have anything left in the tank.

If Freeman and Coleman both have good years (again dependent on the OL), Falcons' run game should be better than in a number of years.

thats the way I see it also, I believe we have a whole lot better team than the last two years.