Chalk Talk: Shanahan Discusses Offensive Line

Guest FalconsAndrew

Guest FalconsAndrew

Hey everyone,

Andrew Hirsh from the website here. Just want to let you know about a new feature I've launched at AF.com called Chalk Talk.

Each week, I'm going to sit down with OC Kyle Shanahan to get updates on Atlanta's offense. You can check out the first installment here: LINK.

Ditto.

While I do not think the oline situation ideal...I'm not panicking because I believe Shannahan is one of those coaches who will scheme to his strengths and weaknesses. Unlike previous regimes.

The oline wasnt as bad as it looked last year...and it isnt as bad as it looked against Miami.

Scheme and personnel can overcome alot of deficiencies along the oline. The only piece that hasn't been there since OTA's is Levietre....who by all accounts....performed well in this scheme.

With Julio, White, and Coleman's speed, the eagles defense will not be able to sell out against the qb.

Ditto.

While I do not think the oline situation ideal...I'm not panicking because I believe Shannahan is one of those coaches who will scheme to his strengths and weaknesses. Unlike previous regimes.

The oline wasnt as bad as it looked last year...and it isnt as bad as it looked against Miami.

Scheme and personnel can overcome alot of deficiencies along the oline. The only piece that hasn't been there since OTA's is Levietre....who by all accounts....performed well in this scheme.

With Julio, White, and Coleman's speed, the eagles defense will not be able to sell out against the qb.

There is a big difference between scheme and execution. You can have all the ingenious formations, counters and misdirection plays you want but the personnel must be able to run them. Inferior players simply can't do the job their asked to do which unfortunately accurately described several of the Falcons offensive lineman.

Other teams defensive coordinators are not stupid. They will identify deficiencies in personnel and attack them. Two of the players you mentioned White and Coleman have missed substantial time due to injury it's not a forgone conclusion what they will bring to the table.

Edited by insight

There is a big difference between scheme and execution. You can have all the ingenious formations, counters and misdirection plays you want but the personnel must be able to run them. Inferior players simply can't do the job their asked to do which unfortunately accurately described several of the Falcons offensive lineman.

Other teams defensive coordinators are not stupid. They will identify deficiencies in personnel and attack them. Two of the players you mentioned White and Julio have missed substantial time due to injury it's not a forgone conclusion what they will bring to the table.

Cant disagree with your points. And like I said...I know the oline situation is far from good.

But....unlike last year....our coaching staff will not ask these guys to do too much. That was my point.

Excellent interview Andrew. Prompted the idea of maybe talking to the scouting department and maybe get them to talk about what they look for at each position.

Yes, it is an excellent interview. Intelligent questions that we actually care about. And Shanny gave some real answers with some meat and not just superficial coach talk. I'll read this series every time you publish it.

I'm not as worried as most folks. The Eagles had the 28th ranked overall defense and the 31 ranked pass defense. By my calculations that's not much better than what we were last year. Their secondary is pedestrian at best. I'm not buying all of the hype coming out of media.

Edited by FentayeJones

I interpret it as "get in as good of shape as him"

That's how I interpreted it as well. The C in this scheme needs to be the most mobile and agile of the interior OL's. They are the OL that most often has to get to the 2nd level and get a block on a smaller, quicker defender.

Also, thanks for the article. Very well done.

I just like the idea that they are committed to running the ball and have looked especially on the interior too guys who are hopefully going to pave the way.

The Person pick at C was at first a curious one but as above they want to run the ball so they put guys who are the best run blockers.Its a very smart move.

I also love our fans who have just naturally moved to the next so called problem with this team before ever giving this group a chance.All it took was 1 QTR of a pre-season game and it was Hiroshima all over again lol.Nevermind the 2 weeks previous they actually looked ok just one slip and there it was out of the wood work came the naysayers.

Other teams defensive coordinators are not stupid. They will identify deficiencies in personnel and attack them. Two of the players you mentioned White and Julio have missed substantial time due to injury it's not a forgone conclusion what they will bring to the table.

yeah the last few years for us should have proven that 'scheme' don't mean squat if you don't have the talent