Arthur Blank: Falcons Aren’T Building For Future, We’Re Winning Now

birdz4i

The Falcons are coming off back-to-back losing seasons and fired their coach this offseason, which would seem to indicate they’re a rebuilding team. But that’s not how owner Arthur Blank sees it.

Blank told new coach Dan Quinn and General Manager Thomas Dimitroff that he expects to see a winning team on the field this year, and he isn’t interested in baby steps toward winning some day in the future.

“I’ve said this to Dan. I’ve said this to Thomas as late as tonight. We’re not about tomorrow. We’re not about rebuilding and building. We’re about winning and we’re about winning now,” Blank told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “The Atlanta fans and the fans across the NFL are entitled to know that this ownership and this leadership team will do whatever it takes to put a winning team on the field. We will not wait any period of time to do it. We’ll leave no stone unturned. We’ll look at everything that we can that’s possible to give us the best opportunity to win. We owe that to our fans. We owe that to the NFL.”

Blank said the Falcons have to win now so they maximize their ability to win during the prime of quarterback Matt Ryan’s career.

“It’s extraordinarily important,” he said. “I made that point, that exact point to Dan and Thomas both. Matt has been here eight years. He probably won’t play another [eight] years. Peyton [Manning] is 39 and still playing, but he’s unusual. Matt is 30 now. We want to make sure that we have a great franchise quarterback. We want to make sure that we support him in every possible way that we can. That’s from every perspective. You see teams around the league that have a lot of other pieces, but don’t have a quarterback. They struggle and they bring in a quarterback and the quarterback can’t make it. Fifty percent of the quarterbacks drafted in the first round are busts. They don’t make it in the league.”

Ryan has made it in the NFL, but he hasn’t made it to the Super Bowl. Blank thinks the Falcons should be aiming to get there this year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/12/arthur-blank-falcons-arent-building-for-future-were-winning-now/

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest facelessman07

I could see Ryan playing till he's 39...

....if we start hitting on O-line acquisitions so his career isn't shortened by all the shots he's taken

Ryan's prime years are going to slip away in a blink of an eye.

I created a new thread about a VR program that some other teams have adopted. If we are truly about winning now, why haven't we used this technology to help the OL learn the ZBS more quickly?

Talk is cheap. If the Falcons are to win a championship, they have to do it soon. They should be doing EVERYTHING possible to win the Super Bowl.

Arthur, go get another GM or 2 because the current gaggle of GM's missed the o-line pieces right in front of their eyes.

Maybe we need a new jingle or a fresh coat of paint, maybe a new t-shirt………..

Bring in a football guy to work with Quinn and disappear. I don't want to see that femme mustache until you have a Lombardi in your hand.

Go put your time and effort into the soccer team…..PLAESE!

Great Artie..... Let's just rush Quinn into winning ASAP. I swear this man couldn't care less about how to truly build a championship team

What should he say? That they're not concerned about winning for a few years? Then folks would be crying about "loser mentality". While less realistic for some than others, every NFL team's goal should be to win, every year.

What should he say? That they're not concerned about winning for a few years? Then folks would be crying about "loser mentality". While less realistic for some than others, every NFL team's goal should be to win, every year.

Look I'm all for establishing winning ways consistently here in Atlanta, but Artie has ran through multiple coaches trying to get there. He's got the business man mindset. By this I mean he wants to get the job done and get it done quickly. You can't do that. You've gotta let these coaches and players do what's necessary over the spand of however many year it may take to do what needs to be done (win). We aren't just gonna pop up and start winning.... Consistently at least.

Look I'm all for establishing winning ways consistently here in Atlanta, but Artie has ran through multiple coaches trying to get there. He's got the business man mindset. By this I mean he wants to get the job done and get it done quickly. You can't do that. You've gotta let these coaches and players do what's necessary over the spand of however many year it may take to do what needs to be done (win). We aren't just gonna pop up and start winning.... Consistently at least.

We just "up and started" winning in 2008. Right outta nowhere too. Predicted to be a 2-4 win team that year after year of back and forth winning and suckage. Went on a 5 year tear until injuries and played out philosophies took hold. So, tell me again how you have to have "years" to build a winning culture.

You are right, to a point. Arthur should have kept Dan Reeves longer. He realized that Mora was still too much of a kid and that Smitty was simply not energetic enough to execute. The hiring of Quinn was necessary.

With respect to his GM, I think that Arthur has been very patient. A GM can not whiff on second- and third-round picks over and over. He just can't. It is also ridiculous to have a championship-quality QB and not make the OL a priority. Tommy has had his chances and one has to wonder whether he will ever learn his lessons.

There are some very good young GM candidates out there. The Packers and Ravens have a few that look interesting.

Arthur, go get another GM or 2 because the current gaggle of GM's missed the o-line pieces right in front of their eyes.

Maybe we need a new jingle or a fresh coat of paint, maybe a new t-shirt..

Bring in a football guy to work with Quinn and disappear. I don't want to see that femme mustache until you have a Lombardi in your hand.

Go put your time and effort into the soccer team..PLAESE!

This is like an AJC comment. Go back to bed, Francis.

We just "up and started" winning in 2008. Right outta nowhere too. Predicted to be a 2-4 win team that year after year of back and forth winning and suckage. Went on a 5 year tear until injuries and played out philosophies took hold. So, tell me again how you have to have "years" to build a winning culture.

The Smitty firing is understandle but I personally just feel like Blank will try to force this TD/Quinn era to work. And you just can't do that. You gotta see what unfolds and see what cards you have by seasons end. Now if we end up 5-11 firing TD is fine, but if he gets us to that 8-8 area then I think that should be enough to give him one more season with Quinn.

Blank sure hopes they're winning now, he's got PSL's to sell, and losing seasons won't help.

I've been trying to tell people filling that billion dollar stadium is going to add pressure for Quinn to win now.

Like I've said Quinn has maybe one losing season and after that the expectations are to win.

The Falcons are coming off back-to-back losing seasons and fired their coach this offseason, which would seem to indicate they’re a rebuilding team. But that’s not how owner Arthur Blank sees it.

Blank told new coach Dan Quinn and General Manager Thomas Dimitroff that he expects to see a winning team on the field this year, and he isn’t interested in baby steps toward winning some day in the future.

“I’ve said this to Dan. I’ve said this to Thomas as late as tonight. We’re not about tomorrow. We’re not about rebuilding and building. We’re about winning and we’re about winning now,” Blank told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “The Atlanta fans and the fans across the NFL are entitled to know that this ownership and this leadership team will do whatever it takes to put a winning team on the field. We will not wait any period of time to do it. We’ll leave no stone unturned. We’ll look at everything that we can that’s possible to give us the best opportunity to win. We owe that to our fans. We owe that to the NFL.”

Blank said the Falcons have to win now so they maximize their ability to win during the prime of quarterback Matt Ryan’s career.

“It’s extraordinarily important,” he said. “I made that point, that exact point to Dan and Thomas both. Matt has been here eight years. He probably won’t play another [eight] years. Peyton [Manning] is 39 and still playing, but he’s unusual. Matt is 30 now. We want to make sure that we have a great franchise quarterback. We want to make sure that we support him in every possible way that we can. That’s from every perspective. You see teams around the league that have a lot of other pieces, but don’t have a quarterback. They struggle and they bring in a quarterback and the quarterback can’t make it. Fifty percent of the quarterbacks drafted in the first round are busts. They don’t make it in the league.”

Ryan has made it in the NFL, but he hasn’t made it to the Super Bowl. Blank thinks the Falcons should be aiming to get there this year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/12/arthur-blank-falcons-arent-building-for-future-were-winning-now/

Wait, what? Well, somebody should have told Shanahan and "The Mighty Quinn" that, cause it sure dont look like we're trying to win "right now".

The Smitty firing is understandle but I personally just feel like Blank will try to force this TD/Quinn era to work. And you just can't do that. You gotta see what unfolds and see what cards you have by seasons end. Now if we end up 5-11 firing TD is fine, but if he gets us to that 8-8 area then I think that should be enough to give him one more season with Quinn.

Disagree. One poster said above that this may be an ultimatum for TD to put up an impressive, much improved season or GTFO, and I tend to agree. Couple that with reports that Quinn may want "his own personnel" guy(s), and the writing may be on the wall.

Could also be that TD gets a Rich McKay type promotion and is almost hands off on the football operations side.

Disagree. One poster said above that this may be an ultimatum for TD to put up an impressive, much improved season or GTFO, and I tend to agree. Couple that with reports that Quinn may want "his own personnel" guy(s), and the writing may be on the wall.

Could also be that TD gets a Rich McKay type promotion and is almost hands off on the football operations side.

Could be wrong, but that's how I'm interpreting it.

Well I'm glad we aren't pulling what the Braves are pulling now, blowing up the team and hoping we are good when the new stadium is up

Braves better hope their strategy works or it will be embarrassing to see that brand new stadium empty. They are going to have to go big and get a big name player, either next offseason or 2017.

Blank has been saying this crap every offseason for years now, but he's just as responsible as anyone. He could have fired Smitty after we got skull****ed by the Packers on our own field as a 1 seed. He could have fired him after our offense failed to score a single point in the Meadowlands. He could have fired him after we collapsed in the 2nd half of the NFCCG and blew our best shot at a Super Bowl in years. He could have fired Dimitroff after all of these things happened too. He could have fired Dimitroff for always doing the bare minimum to fix our OL issues. He could have fired Dimitroff for never doing anything to address our pash rush while Abe got older every year. He could have done something. But he didn't. He just talks and talks about how this year it's different. This year we will rectify our problems "with a vengeance". This year we will do whatever it takes to win. But despite all this, heads didn't roll until attendance lagged and a new stadium was announced.