If Belichick & Staff Can Assemble A Decent O Line...........why Can't The Falcons ?

Bring It

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching the Patriots handle the Steelers last nite.........using a ROOKIE spare parts O-line, it makes you wonder why the Falcons......after 6+ years are STILL STRUGGLING trying to discover what an NFL O-line really is about.

No comparison between the results.

Because they have cohesion. Consistency. They don't switch coordinators and flip flop what the line will be. He's had the same line philosophy since he stepped in NE. He's from the parcels tree and one thing about parcels is consistency. Cohesion and culture. We've never had that. I think with Quinn this will be the first time we build on consistency.

Because they have cohesion. Consistency. They don't switch coordinators and flip flop what the line will be. He's had the same line philosophy since he stepped in NE. He's from the parcels tree and one thing about parcels is consistency. Cohesion and culture. We've never had that. I think with Quinn this will be the first time we build on consistency.

And this.

I'll never ever understand why people use this line of thinking.

It's fine to aspire to be the best. One should want to be as good as they can. But presenting a franchise thats arguably the most well-run franchise in all of American pro sports as the "well, if they can do it, why can't we?" is just ridiculous.

Well, if Usain Bolt can break world records, why can't I?

If Michael Jordan can be the greatest ever, why can't Smush Parker?

If Bill Gates can be worth $75 billion dollars, why can't Joe Schmoe?

It's fine to aspire to be the best. One should want to be as good as they can. But presenting a franchise thats arguably the most well-run franchise in all of American pro sports as the "well, if they can do it, why can't we?" is just ridiculous.

Mediocrity hurts.......doesn't it ?

ESPN+The+Party+Arrivals+ROz3QtziO6Ul.jpg

It's bigger than him. It's an Atanta Falcons thing that started with Rankin Smith. It's deeply rooted. It's a problem we've had LOOOOOOONG before dimitrof got here. Every coach we had that started building a culture was fired. With Smith he flip flopped too much and wasn't building a culture. Switched coordinators, lost his vision of the team etc...The Atlanta Falcons have never had a football "culture". We've had some good teams here and there but never had a "culture". And identity. The Steelers, Pats, Cowboys, Packers, Ravens, 49ers, etc...all have identities that we can relate to and it's been the same throughout their history. A gm isn't responsible for building that culture the coach is with the ASSISTANCE of the gm getting those pieces he needs to bring that vision to life. All the great franchises have really only had a few HC's once they built a culture or identity. How many coaches have the steelers had? A great team has to have consistency. Through good years and bad. You HAVE to stick with something. Over the last 3 decades we have 5 or 6 hc's. The steelers have had 2. In Dallas ppl questioned why Garrett was stoop keeping his job. It's because Jones knows you have to stick with something through good and bad if your building something.

Guest Dirty Bird Nation ®

Because they're the Patriots and we're the Falcons. They're just better than us.

Think about it, when they cheat they win superbowls. When we cheat, we get blown out at home by a team with a losing record.

I don't think you go 13-3 twice without an NFL caliber ol. Either we had a decent ol those years or ol isn't as important as this board would lead you to believe. Pick one.

We had a decent oline. Ppl just want to b*tch about something. The line only went to complete sh*t in 13 and 14. 08-12 it was very adequate.

Nothing wrong with thinking positive, no matter how far fetched or what the odds may be against you.

We had a decent oline. Ppl just want to b*tch about something. The line only went to complete sh*t in 13 and 14. 08-12 it was very adequate.

I think the run blocking fell off 2011 to present, but otherwise agree.

As long as Ryan has time to hit short/intermediate routes we are fine.

We have to run the ball again to be for real...run block.

I think its their offensive system that has a lot to do with that. And having one of the GOAT QB's.

It's also the being consistent with your philosophy. He has t changed his line philosophy since he's been there. Even with new coordinators he brought in something similar to what he's already had. Offense and defense. But he's also kept the same line coach too. We've flip flopped who we want to be a number of times.

that was mostly due to injuries too. the first couple of games last season, the line looked pretty good. people like to say we got dominated by the Bengals but we didn't have a negative run until the second half of the 3rd game. seems to me like all we need is some guys that can stay healthy

Coaching, preparation, and fundamentals.

Talent is overrated. The Patriots are a testament to that.

Lots of teams have had success with less talented OLs. The Steelers won 2 Super Bowls with bad OLs.

Our issues have been injuries, and an overly cautious coach. We never let the offense loose, because we compensated for a bad OL. We conceded our weaknesses instead of playing above them.

I have no doubt that Bill Belichick could succeed with Matt Ryan and the 2013-2014 OL, We;ll see whart Quinn and Shanahan can do.

I think the run blocking fell off 2011 to present, but otherwise agree.

As long as Ryan has time to hit short/intermediate routes we are fine.

We have to run the ball again to be for real.

The run blocking was on a slippery slop but even that, imo, was because they went straight power in 11 when mularky used zbs principles in his scheme from 08-10. We def gotta get back to running. Ryan is a play action surgeon so it didn't make sense to take a strength away from him. Just odd to me.

It's bigger than him. It's an Atanta Falcons thing that started with Rankin Smith. It's deeply rooted. It's a problem we've had LOOOOOOONG before dimitrof got here. Every coach we had that started building a culture was fired. With Smith he flip flopped too much and wasn't building a culture. Switched coordinators, lost his vision of the team etc...The Atlanta Falcons have never had a football "culture". We've had some good teams here and there but never had a "culture". And identity. The Steelers, Pats, Cowboys, Packers, Ravens, 49ers, etc...all have identities that we can relate to and it's been the same throughout their history. A gm isn't responsible for building that culture the coach is with the ASSISTANCE of the gm getting those pieces he needs to bring that vision to life. All the great franchises have really only had a few HC's once they built a culture or identity. How many coaches have the steelers had? A great team has to have consistency. Through good years and bad. You HAVE to stick with something. Over the last 3 decades we have 5 or 6 hc's. The steelers have had 2. In Dallas ppl questioned why Garrett was stoop keeping his job. It's because Jones knows you have to stick with something through good and bad if your building something.

Oh, I agree. The fact that TD is still here is more of an indictment of the ownership than of TD himself. Had this team built an identity as a tough team, meaning effectively running the ball and effectively stopping the run, we would've won a title every one of those seasons where we looked promising.