Reporter Chat: Week 1

Guest FalconsAndrew

Guest FalconsAndrew

Hey everyone,

This is Andrew Hirsh (@andrewhirsh), the new reporter for AtlantaFalcons.com. If you missed the last two threads, I'm going to drop by here every week to talk some football. Obviously there's a lot to discuss, so let's get to it.

(If you're looking for some news to read, I spoke with Andy Levitre about his transition to Atlanta: http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/blog/article-1/Levitre-Hopes-to-Make-Effective-Transition/fd064e7e-ed70-44e4-ad5a-3703ea48f942)

Guest FalconsAndrew

Hi Andrew thanks again for doing this. Any word on how Long looked during his workout today

Nothing yet, but we should get an update tomorrow when Quinn addresses the media at 12:05

Is there any discussion around the water cooler how long the O Line gelling process is expected to take? And/or if there are plans to curtail the playbook until that happens?

Is there anything else you can tell us about Asamoah's injury beyond what we already know? I.E. he apparently was nursing a hip injury, and somehow, sometime it apparently got worse. I'm curious how long he had the injury and why we never heard anything about it until he was placed on IR. And also what happened that exacerbated it, if it did. (Yes, color me skeptical regarding this injury).

Guest FalconsAndrew

Is there any discussion around the water cooler how long the O Line gelling process is expected to take? And/or if there are plans to curtail the playbook until that happens?

Is there anything else you can tell us about Asamoah's injury beyond what we already know? I.E. he apparently was nursing a hip injury, and somehow, sometime it apparently got worse. I'm curious how long he had the injury and why we never heard anything about it until he was placed on IR. And also what happened that exacerbated it, if it did. (Yes, color me skeptical regarding this injury).

It'll take some time for the O-line to reach its full potential, but I think the expectation is it'll hold up in Week 1. Monday will be the first time we see this five-man unit work together, so no one really knows what's going to happen.

Still stoked to finally get this going. Thanks again! Any news or info if we'll be able to get questions out to the players and coaches?

Guess I'll give you an easy one. How do feel going into the Eagles game?

I'm cautiously optimistic. If the O-line holds up and the defense slows down Philly's run game, I think Atlanta will win.

Andrew is there anyway somebody can put out a microphone that will pick up what the reporters are asking coaches in the press conferences? Myself and many 0thers have been wanting this for years now. It is so much better when we can hear the question that was asked. Thank you.

Andrew is there anyway somebody can put out a microphone that will pick up what the reporters are asking coaches in the press conferences? Myself and many 0thers have been wanting this for years now. It is so much better when we can hear the question that was asked. Thank you.

This. There was a question last night asked about Julio and I had no clue at the time who Quinn was talking about.

Guest FalconsAndrew

This. There was a question last night asked about Julio and I had no clue at the time who Quinn was talking about.

I'll bring this up when I get a chance.

Andrew, is there any chance there is a video of the lockerroom speech at end of game and game ball presented to Quinn? We saw these videos posted to atlantafalcons.com all the time when Smitty was here - I think most fans would like to see this in the first game and successful outcome of the Quinn regime.

please advise - thanks so much!

Andrew, Mike Turico said something troubling on Monday Night Football. After a head-scratcher offensive interference call on a wide reciever screen he said, "... that is probably something the Eagles saw on film and asked the officials to keep an eye out for. Because of their unusual Offense, that regularly happens to them."

The officials treated the tip as a league directive, penalizing contact virtually on the Line of Scrimmage three times {once on the Eagles). Thus the "Bubble" screen as run by Atlanta, Denver, and many others for years was ruled illegal extra-judicially. Since Julio is its most effective practiitioner I guess we can expect that play to be removed from our playbook weekly at the oppositions' request.

One poster said the blocks were technically illegal but never called. Can Coach Shanahan ask for a ruling from the Competition Committee? Those of us who enjoy watching Julio run loose in the secondary would appreciate it.

Edited by sonnyjim

Guest FalconsAndrew

Andrew, is there any chance there is a video of the lockerroom speech at end of game and game ball presented to Quinn? We saw these videos posted to atlantafalcons.com all the time when Smitty was here - I think most fans would like to see this in the first game and successful outcome of the Quinn regime.

please advise - thanks so much!

I don't think so. I believe Quinn wants to keep that private.

Andrew, Mike Turico said something troubling on Monday Night Football. After a head-scratcher offensive interference call on a wide reciever screen he said, "... that is probably something the Eagles saw on film and asked the officials to keep an eye out for. Because of their unusual Offense, that regularly happens to them."

The officials treated the tip as a league directive, penalizing contact virtually on the Line of Scrimmage three times {once on the Eagles). Thus the "Bubble" screen as run by Atlanta, Denver, and many others for years was ruled illegal extra-judicially. Since Julio is its most effective practiitioner I guess we can expect that play to be removed from our playbook weekly at the oppositions' request.

One poster said the blocks were technically illegal but never called. Can Coach Shanahan ask for a ruling from the Competition Committee? Those of us who enjoy watching Julio run loose in the secondary would appreciate it.

I think it's presumptuous to say the refs called those penalties because of a Philly request, but I'll look out for that when I watch the game again today.

Guest FalconsAndrew

Just wondering how does Jake Long look?

We haven't seen him practice with pads, so I can't give a real answer yet. Shanahan seemed pretty optimistic about him yesterday. About to post my chat with Shanahan in another thread