Conspiracy Theory - Help Regular Guy!

Flip Wilson

Cook's Pest Control came out yesterday to give me a free termite screening. They were trying to wiggle my business away from the local guy that we have been using since we bought the home 12 years ago.

My wife thought it would be a good idea to let them to get a second opinion about some damage that we already new happened on the other guy's watch.

They check the crawl space and attic and come back and tell us we have a small leak and tell me how I can easily fix it by going to get a Gator Bite valve....and they tell me I have some termite damage and give me a prepared sales speech.

Back to the leak.....I go under the crawl space and I have a busted valve and there looks to be about an hours worth of water....so my theory is that they went under there and taped that valve with a wrench or something to show how excellent they were and trouble shooting.......It was just too convenient.

What do you guys think?

Guest Regular Guy

Flip, I doubt the Cook's guy created the leak unless he bumped the pipe and made it leak and if that's the case, it was going to leak anyway. You can smack a pipe pretty **** hard and it'll not leak but if there was a pre existing condition then it's possible. As for the fix, a shark bite/gator bite fitting is a wonderful thing. Makes repairs easy. If you want to post a picture I can tell you how to fix it if you need me to.

Guest Regular Guy

I find that gator/shark bites leak alot. I would rather use pvc couplings if no brass or metal pipes need to be fitted.

If it's leaking, you're not pushing the pipe into the fitting all of the way. You push until it bottoms out and you'll be fine. I've used them since Cash Acme first came out with them 10-12 years ago.

If it's leaking, you're not pushing the pipe into the fitting all of the way. You push until it bottoms out and you'll be fine. I've used them since Cash Acme first came out with them 10-12 years ago.

I appreciate the offer RG. I got though....They didn't have a Gator Bite valve at my local Home Depot for PVC, only CPVC....so I just went the glue route and 3 hrs later I cut the water back on to no leaks.

Guest Regular Guy

I appreciate the offer RG. I got though....They didn't have a Gator Bite valve at my local Home Depot for PVC, only CPVC....so I just went the glue route and 3 hrs later I cut the water back on to no leaks.

I guess I missed the part about PVC! Yep, they don't make gator bite style fittings for PVC yet, they are working on it and I have seen a prototype. It sounds like you got it handled just fine though wink.png

Guest Regular Guy

Is this company on Angie's list? I've never had to use Angie's but I have been told it's pretty good.

Angie's list is BS! This is coming from someone who is on there with good reviews mind you. Why do I say it's BS then? Well, the commercials tell you that "No one can pay to be on Angie's list, so you know the reviews are honest and you can trust them".

WRONG!!

They used to solicit me mercilessly to PAY to be "bumped up" to get "preferred" status on their site. Sham. The same goes for that "Trust Dale" fool. If you throw enough $$$ at him, he endorses your business. Plain and simple.

Angie's list is BS! This is coming from someone who is on there with good reviews mind you. Why do I say it's BS then? Well, the commercials tell you that "No one can pay to be on Angie's list, so you know the reviews are honest and you can trust them".

WRONG!!

They used to solicit me mercilessly to PAY to be "bumped up" to get "preferred" status on their site. Sham. The same goes for that "Trust Dale" fool. If you throw enough $$$ at him, he endorses your business. Plain and simple.

I wish I knew that before I joined!