Falcons Sign Rb Jahwan Edwards To The Practice Squad

Romfal

**** yeah, I was hoping we would sign him as a UDFA but he went to San Diego instead

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/blog/article-1/Falcons-Sign-RB-Edwards-to-Practice-Squad/a942a93d-3777-483b-96b9-4bfbf4598c5f

The Atlanta Falcons today announced that they have signed running back Jahwan Edwards to the practice squad.

Edwards, 5-9, 220 pounds was originally signed by the San Diego Chargers as a college free agent following the 2015 NFL Draft out of Ball State. He set school records for career rushing yards (4,558), touchdowns (51), points (306) and rushing attempts (884) for the Cardinals. Edwards was also second in school history with 18 100-yard rushing games.

JCITOW - That was a good post and a fair question. The answer is this. His college numbers were VERY consistent, which is always a high bonus. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jahwan-edwards-1.html

His size is very similar. He has one thing against him. In the NFL he is a pure ZBS guy which is almost always late round to UDFA.

JCITOW - That was a good post and a fair question. The answer is this. His college numbers were VERY consistent, which is always a high bonus. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jahwan-edwards-1.html

His size is very similar. He has one thing against him. In the NFL he is a pure ZBS guy which is almost always late round to UDFA.

Thanks man. I had to delete the other post because it had something unrelated in it.

I have not seen this much movement/ turnover on the offensive side of the ball in a long time.... I'm loving this aggressive approach.

Quinn must be a great evaluator of talent, because outside of a couple of players, we didn't have any. Hope Edwards is very productive for us.

Edited by E. T.

Yup. I remember him well coming into draft. **** definitely break arm tackles

Catching up on some of this dude's tape... Wow is all I have to say!

A few things jump out...

Patience. He allows the line to create a cut back lane and hits it hard with deceptive speed.

Strength. Arm tackling him low will not work. Dude powers out of low tackles and often highsteps out of them. Safeties will have to make a business decision to try to bring him down in the second level. Lowers his shoulders and will truck defenders. Pile mover with his powerful legs.

Agility. Woah. Once he puts his foot in the ground, can cut on a dime and turn it up field.

All these things combined can be lethal in a ZBS. Hopefully he can show his stuff early enough and move into our lineup. Need to watch some more Charger preseason video to see how he fared. But their line is in the mist of switching to a ZBS also. Most of their lineman are huge, not really a fit for ZBS yet IMO. Plus they have to showcase their first rounder and Woodhead. May be the reason why he couldn't get a shot.

Not a huge fan myself, but I don't hate him. I do have this though. We have Coleman, Freeman, Ward, and DiMarco. Who do you call on for short yardage man?

The O-line. if they don't block it doesn't matter if the back is 10 lbs heavier. Ward does look like a mini Michael Turner out there, he is probably the go to.

I'd rather have him on the 53 than Ward

Like the old coach says "not so fast my friend". We have seen

Ward running tough behind our line. I think that says a mouthful.

He has made some decent runs, he has scored in the red zone.

I have started to like him a lot.

Edwards is another good looking back based on his college tape

but I haven't seen him attempt to run behind our line. PS is a good

place for him until he figures out what we are doing.

Catching up on some of this dude's tape... Wow is all I have to say!

A few things jump out...

Patience. He allows the line to create a cut back lane and hits it hard with deceptive speed.

Strength. Arm tackling him low will not work. Dude powers out of low tackles and often highsteps out of them. Safeties will have to make a business decision to try to bring him down in the second level. Lowers his shoulders and will truck defenders. Pile mover with his powerful legs.

Agility. Woah. Once he puts his foot in the ground, can cut on a dime and turn it up field.

All these things combined can be lethal in a ZBS. Hopefully he can show his stuff early enough and move into our lineup. Need to watch some more Charger preseason video to see how he fared. But their line is in the mist of switching to a ZBS also. Most of their lineman are huge, not really a fit for ZBS yet IMO. Plus they have to showcase their first rounder and Woodhead. May be the reason why he couldn't get a shot.

yeah, i was pretty high on him in the predraft process. As far as the Chargers games, he only had 55 yards and 3.2YPC, but Gordon only has 2.3 YPC, and none of their backs had over 3.5, so you have to wonder about their O-line

He's slow as molasses. But like I posted in another thread so is Alfred Morris, and he's done pretty darn well in this scheme. Speed isn't what is important in this offense. Edwards and Morris actually compare very well physically.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=107083&draftyear=2015&genpos=RB- Edwards

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=71051&draftyear=2012&genpos=RB- Alfred Morris

Edited by RandomFan

The O-line. if they don't block it doesn't matter if the back is 10 lbs heavier. Ward does look like a mini Michael Turner out there, he is probably the go to.

The whole OL narrative sounds good and is something mentioned a lot here. Thing is we don't have a good line and a stronger (not exactly heavier) back will sometimes get you what you need.

Not going to go all day about it. I'm just saying. One dart and two skippy backs do not equal a good short game...even if that line is 3x's what it was last year.

The whole OL narrative sounds good and is something mentioned a lot here. Thing is we don't have a good line and a stronger (not exactly heavier) back will sometimes get you what you need.

Not going to go all day about it. I'm just saying. One dart and two skippy backs do not equal a good short game...even if that line is 3x's what it was last year.

I hear you. I wouldn't mind us signing a bigger guy, just worth mentioning that we couldn't convert 4th and 1's with Turner and Sjax in years past because the O-line couldn't get a push worth a ****.