G'head And Etch That Natty Champ'ship Trophy Ohio State, Ups Box Ship It To Columbus!

Isosceles

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was bama they just beat like that, I might agree with you, but vt? When was the last time vt was relevant nationally? I agree they looked very good and at this point deserve the #1 ranking, but I will withhold judgement on unbeatable until we get to the playoffs and have a season of info to go on.

If it was bama they just beat like that, I might agree with you, but vt? When was the last time vt was relevant nationally? I agree they looked very good and at this point deserve the #1 ranking, but I will withhold judgement on unbeatable until we get to the playoffs and have a season of info to go on.

And even then, look at their schedule. They play exactly one team that at this moment wouldn't be considered far below average. Their season would be a disaster if they didn't make the playoff.

I don't think they are unbeatable at all. It's only week one so we shouldn't jump too far ahead. It's unfortunate that they only have one "tough" matchup all season... and I say "tough" because they are a mismatch nightmare for Michigan State, so they should beat them pretty soundly. No idea who they will face in the Big 10 championship but I wouldn't expect that to be much hassle either.

Barring some huge attrition, they should walk right into the playoff. I think several teams in that conversation can possibly beat them though.

I think the Michigan State game will be interesting for them; we'll know more after we see them play Oregon this weekend. Dantonio is a pretty good coach and he'll have them motivated after they got pole axed last season. With that said, the game last night was only as close as it was because the Buckeyes had Ezekiel Elliott returning punts(?) and Cardale Jones threw a bad pick. IMO, they're starting the wrong QB but if it's true, that won't be evident for a long time thanks to the cupcakes on their menu for the next few weeks.

The reason I wouldn't anoint them just yet is because they have stylistic issues with certain teams (Penn State, Minnesota, and even Indiana last year) and it's sure to be true again. Few teams walk through their seasons without close calls. With all of that said, had they not had four players suspended last night, it would have been a blowout by halftime.

Carter, the only team I think can or will beat them is one that can hold them to 24 points while scoring 28 themselves, but never trailing by more than 7.But I don't see anybody holding them to 24 points!

To be specific:

On paper I believe TCU, Baylor, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Clemson, and USC could definitely challenge them and possibly win.

Ohio State doesn't simply have to be outscored. Urban Meyer proved to be a difficult coach to beat with a talent-loaded roster at Florida, but he did lose. The most important aspect is controlling the game in terms of physicality and turnovers. Alabama, Ole Miss, and Michigan out muscled Tebow's Gators; Oklahoma and others notably came close. The system is not unbeatable with an abundance of talent.

Of course only time will tell. OSU is the clear #1 for good reason, but they were in that position before when both Florida and LSU drug them up n down the field. Ultimately though it's way too early for this discussion to render any kind of meaningful speculation.

week 1 a year ago ohio state was dominated by virginia tech.. a year later they beat virginia tech by a good margin. you can't take too much from that that win just like many took too much from last year's loss to vt. never go overboard after 1 week. ohio state will be in the playoff. i don't see how they aren't with that easy as pie schedule. however let's see who they are matched with before we give them a title after week 1.

week 1 a year ago ohio state was dominated by virginia tech.. a year later they beat virginia tech by a good margin. you can't take too much from that that win just like many took too much from last year's loss to vt. never go overboard after 1 week. ohio state will be in the playoff. i don't see how they aren't with that easy as pie schedule. however let's see who they are matched with before we give them a title after week 1.

Exactly. VT went on to a craptacular season and OSU won it all. A lot of folks felt pretty certain they wouldn't get past Bama either. Now they are undefeated 15-0 after week one? It's a long season and they will have a target on their back each and every week. Not to mention the possibility of facing TCU or Baylor who are both looking to prove again why it was wrong they got left out last time and have every bit the makeup to beat OSU.

Several SEC teams have the talent and coaching to beat them as well.

Simply put, they are good... very good. Good enough to repeat is yet to be seen. It's incredibly difficult to repeat.

It's a long season. The team that started last season with no direction and a green QB didn't resemble the final product. I live in their area and I saw every game that they played and they had to earn some of those wins. The big difference so far is that Bosa, Wilson, Marshall, and Smith's suspensions may be the first indication of an attitude problem. The fact that VaTech led at halftime might be enough to focus them. The only thing we know about Ohio State and every other top tier team is that they will likely be better in a few weeks than they were last weekend.

In my opinion, Meyer went with the wrong QB, but Jones is no slouch regardless. If they keep their heads in check, they should be in the playoffs again. That easy schedule will likely come back to haunt them, then.

VT was relevant in 2012.

I'm glad the topic found a lil life.

Yes, only first game, but imagine the team strengthening as the season goes on. Let's watch too how bad the VT defense may be, or how strong it may be. There was a lot of great stuff happening on the OSU sideline. And, no way Penn State will hang tough with them this time. Not even for 2 minutes!

There was a moment in the second quarter of the Sugar Bowl when Alabama seemed to congratulate itself, but for an impressive start, but for having won the game before half-time. At just about the same time, Ohio State came together on both sides of the ball and convinced themselves that they created the deficit, so they could win by correcting the problems. It was not just a great job by the coaching staff, but a great amount of faith in themselves.

Football is a lot about chemistry and trust. It kind of looked like Bama stopped trusting each other and unraveled, which I don't recall seeing from a Nick Saban team. The question for the Buckeyes is can they do it again after losing team leaders like Michael Bennett and Evan Spencer? I still wonder how Barrett's ego will handle losing the job to his friend. They will either implode or be even better by the end of the season.