Watching Coaches Film On Andy L From 2014

Jaymadd

I have the NFL season pass. I bought it to help me with my fantasy football mainly for preseason. I decided to go back and watch some games from last year. I am only in to game one (against the chiefs). I like with Andy L is going to bring to in regards to the run game. He looks like he has the lateral quickness to perform well in the ZBS in regards to running the football. He was consistently able to get push in the run game. He was even quick enough on some runs to be able to turn his man to create run lanes. I also see his weaknesses from this same game. He was matched up on Dontari Poe a some of the time. Poe was able to push him into the backfield on some plays. One play he even pushed Andy L to the ground for a sack. It seems as if Andy L struggles against the bull rush, especially against bigger Dlineman or really strong Dlineman. I am going to continue to watch some old games from 2014 so I can form my own opinion of our new Olineman. I think Andy L is getting a bad rep since he has gotten cut. I think that the money had more to do with it than his performance on the field.

Just a Day in the Mind of Jaymadd

this is the dirty little secret about the ZBS - sure it helps when you get these smaller/quicker guys for the run game and to create more angles and seams for a RB to slither through - but what happens is in pass protection, these guys get mauled because they don't have the strength to stand up to bull rush - I remember we had exact same problem with Falcons offensive line back in DVD days and Alex Gibbs.

While there are some ZBS teams out there that protect the passer, it is not as easy to do with the smaller guys - I see this being a problem for Falcons on obvious passing downs.

this is the dirty little secret about the ZBS - sure it helps when you get these smaller/quicker guys for the run game and to create more angles and seams for a RB to slither through - but what happens is in pass protection, these guys get mauled because they don't have the strength to stand up to bull rush - I remember we had exact same problem with Falcons offensive line back in DVD days and Alex Gibbs.

While there are some ZBS teams out there that protect the passer, it is not as easy to do with the smaller guys - I see this being a problem for Falcons on obvious passing downs.

Yeah, I remember when Alex Gibbs was here too. Before P. Manning Denver's QBs were some of the most sacked & pressured in the NFL when running the ZBS. With our new pieces on the OL it will take time & could be fugly early on.

On those obvious passing downs Matt needs to (continue to) get the ball out quick to avoid getting get killed. He's good @ doing that, however we NEED a legit running game to set up play action & wear out our opponents' Def as well as give our Def a rest. This is all pretty obvious & I am hoping to see it sooner this season not later but realistically it will take a while.

I don't think the Mora years are a good comparison for pass protection. We had a passer who looked to run a lot and was inconsistent in his drops. He wasn't known for getting rid of the ball quickly and ran into sacks frequently. Pretty much the opposite of what we have now. Matt will make so-so pass protection look good if the run game is up to speed.

Really, we need the o-line to gel on running plays. Have 3rd and shorts and let Matt and the running game go to work. We need to avoid being one-dimensional. The pass protection will be fine if we can utilize misdirection and mismatches, which is what the WCO is designed to do and why so many WCO coordinators prefer a ZBS. Yes, we'll give up some sacks, especially coverage sacks. If Matt has to hold the ball too long we'll have problems. But the offense is designed to get the ball out, and Matt excels at that. I wouldn't say I'm optimistic, but I also don't think the sky is falling.

I have the NFL season pass. I bought it to help me with my fantasy football mainly for preseason. I decided to go back and watch some games from last year. I am only in to game one (against the chiefs). I like with Andy L is going to bring to in regards to the run game. He looks like he has the lateral quickness to perform well in the ZBS in regards to running the football. He was consistently able to get push in the run game. He was even quick enough on some runs to be able to turn his man to create run lanes. I also see his weaknesses from this same game. He was matched up on Dontari Poe a some of the time. Poe was able to push him into the backfield on some plays. One play he even pushed Andy L to the ground for a sack. It seems as if Andy L struggles against the bull rush, especially against bigger Dlineman or really strong Dlineman. I am going to continue to watch some old games from 2014 so I can form my own opinion of our new Olineman. I think Andy L is getting a bad rep since he has gotten cut. I think that the money had more to do with it than his performance on the field.

Just a Day in the Mind of Jaymadd

Should go back to the point he was in a ZBS and see his performance there. So different for a lineman - and he never made the adjustment that well.