Cbs Article Slamming Falcons And Levitre

Guest Mr Plow

Guest Mr Plow

Per La Canfora/CBS:

What are the Falcons thinking?

I hate to sound like the boogeyman for some quarterback every week in this space, but, man, Matt Ryan needs to keep his head on a swivel. Of all the transactions made before the roster deadline, nothing had me more baffled than the Falcons trading for Titans guard Andy Levitre. Be afraid, Matt Ryan. Be very afraid.

The latest from SportsLine SportsLine-20x15-badge-v4.png

Levitre is one of the biggest free-agent flops in recent history, getting top-of-the-market money from the Titans and playing such poor football that Tennessee would've waived him rather than have to cut another $6.5M in checks to him. Case in point: The Titans have as bad a roster as there in the league and took a quarterback with the second overall pick who they obviously need to protect … and this cat couldn't get a single snap with the starters. Levitre was a bit part on a bad team. Now the Falcons -- who are NFC South Champs or bust yet again in 2015 -- come along and actually trade for this contract.

Think about that: Rather than just waiting and trying to sign Levitre to a new deal worth millions less, Atlanta actually gave up something to take on this ridiculous deal.

"I really still can't believe it," one exec told me again on Saturday. "They must be beyond desperate."

This exec kept checking the NFL Management Council contract records, in disbelief, for days after the trade thinking he must've missed something. Clearly the Titans agreed to pay the vast majority of the contract. Surely, Levitre agreed to a pay cut or something. Only, nope. There he sits, counting $6.5M in cash and $6.5M against the Falcons cap. Good luck with that. Levitre's tape the past few years has been awful according to anyone I've talked to who bothered to watch, and for all of the skill position talent Ryan has to work with, Atlanta's offensive line might undermine it all.

And later in same article talking about different tiers of teams:

And then there's a final tier of teams (usually a good quarter of the league) that frankly have no chance to do anything in the postseason -- the Washington Redskins, Chicago Bears, Cleveland Browns, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Atlanta Falcons, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Oakland Raiders (though I do think the Raiders will be quite improved).

Edited by Mr Plow

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting.

Per La Canfora/CBS:

And later in same article talking about different tiers of teams:

And then there's a final tier of teams (usually a good quarter of the league) that frankly have no chance to do anything in the postseason -- the Washington Redskins, Chicago Bears, Cleveland Browns, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Atlanta Falcons, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Oakland Raiders (though I do think the Raiders will be quite improved).

And yet, somehow the Saints are not listed here.

I don't get it.

Thanks for posting.

And yet, somehow the Saints are not listed here.

I don't get it.

He should know that tier the way he goes on about Leeds ("soccer" team in England) who overspend, and are managed from the top down like Washington.

Somehow the Falcons aren't that way, certainly not with Quinn so far.

Must be reporting at home in his pyjamas as usual.

And then there's a final tier of teams (usually a good quarter of the league) that frankly have no chance to do anything in the postseason -- the Washington Redskins,Chicago Bears, Cleveland Browns, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Atlanta Falcons, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Oakland Raiders (though I do think the Raiders will be quite improved)

Jets? 49ers?Texans?

Well you make the trade in order for him to not hit the market and possibly go to another team...so that answers that.

Multiple sources have said that he will restructure...so that takes care of that part.

All analytics point to him never grading out negatively for the year, plus him showing up well towards the end of last year....so that puts that to rest.

Obviously we were desperate...there's no arguing that, but the reward will outweigh the risk.

I will reserve judgment on Levitre - the player.

If Laconfora is correct and we did not adjust that contract plus we gave up two picks, then Dimitroff is a horrible negotiator with both the Titans GM and with Levitre agent.

Technically one pick

We don't know the conditions for the 2nd pick and if it's a 6th and a 7th then who really cares?

I do agree with the contract tho

Well you make the trade in order for him to not hit the market and possibly go to another team...so that answers that.

Multiple sources have said that he will restructure...so that takes care of that part.

All analytics point to him never grading out negatively for the year, plus him showing up well towards the end of last year....so that puts that to rest.

Obviously we were desperate...there's no arguing that, but the reward will outweigh the risk.

agree with it all except I have seen nofhing definitive on restructuring. Answer me this: Knowing the Falcons just gave up possibly two draft picks for you, what is the motivation for Levitre and his agent to take a paycut now? Sure the trade insured we would get Levitre, but it also hamtrings Falcons mgmt. in negotiations as well.

Hopefully the restructuring was agreed at time of trade or before - if not, Falcons have less leverage to pull this off in a meaningful way - paying Levitre $6.5mm is unthinkable.