Question About Jake

This should help, but you might be on to something.

When a team signs a "vested" veteran after Week 1, the organization can sign that player for the league minimum with little risk. If the player is only good enough to last a few weeks or is just signed to fill-in for an injury, the team can drop them and their salary. It's essentially a way to beat the system, while still allowing older players to catch a last paycheck or opportunity.

This should help, but you might be on to something.

When a team signs a "vested" veteran after Week 1, the organization can sign that player for the league minimum with little risk. If the player is only good enough to last a few weeks or is just signed to fill-in for an injury, the team can drop them and their salary. It's essentially a way to beat the system, while still allowing older players to catch a last paycheck or opportunity.

Thanks. Hopefully we sign him and get rid of Polumbus.

If we decided to go after Jake Long next week after the new league year has started, I believe his contract would not be guaranteed. With that being said, do anybody know how that would work if we signed him and he didn't pan out?

Would he get paid on a game by game basis?

Technically they all get paid on a game by game basis once you get past the bonuses.

Guest Dirty Bird Nation ®

I think Long wants more than a league minimum and could likely get it. He probably wants a big contract right now and can't find a team that's willing to pay him starter money.

If we decided to go after Jake Long next week after the new league year has started, I believe his contract would not be guaranteed. With that being said, do anybody know how that would work if we signed him and he didn't pan out?

Would he get paid on a game by game basis?

It would be. He could sign a 4M dollar deal, but the beauty of this is if he gets cut we are not on the hook

As I understand it, anyone on the roster, for the first game, has their salary guaranteed for the entire season.

If a player is added to the roster after the first game, he can be cut at any time without being compensated for the rest of the season.

Jake Long is damaged goods, but he might be of service as a back-up OG and RT. Signing him after game one is a low risk/medium gain tactic.

As I understand it, anyone on the roster, for the first game, has their salary guaranteed for the entire season.

If a player is added to the roster after the first game, he can be cut at any time without being compensated for the rest of the season.

Jake Long is damaged goods, but he might be of service as a back-up OG and RT. Signing him after game one is a low risk/medium gain tactic.

I wouldn't have a issue signing him after his contract is not guaranteed. This way he can really earn his due. Win-win situation, if he plays well then he gets paid and we get a decent player. If he doesn't we cut him.

I wouldn't have a issue signing him after his contract is not guaranteed. This way he can really earn his due. Win-win situation, if he plays well then he gets paid and we get a decent player. If he doesn't we cut him.

Its not like we have the stiffest Oline for him to compete for a job against. Its a fair shake.