Atlanta Falcons Get A Steal In Andy Levitre

FentayeJones

If ever there was a team that needed to pull off some kind of big move to fix a hole in their roster, it was the Atlanta Falcons. Their offensive line units as a whole has struggled the entire preseason, allowing seven quarterback sacks, committing seven penalties and managing an abysmal 2.6 yards per carry on the ground. If this is a team that wants to make the playoffs, then they need to get better up front.

That is exactly what they did by securing the rights to guard Andy Levitre via trade with Tennessee.

Though inconsistent play was part of the reasoning, the main one involved the 28-year old becoming too expensive for the team to keep. Levitre struggled at the beginning of last season due to a change in offensive scheme but started to catch on late, stringing together a number of solid games to finish strong.

The feeling is he’s at his best in a zone blocking scheme like he did in Buffalo and his first year with the Titans. That is what Atlanta does as well, so the fit was natural. What makes the move so beneficial for the Falcons is not only the fact that he’s still young but that his calling card is run blocking.

Levitre has never finished an NFL season in his career with a negative rating in that category according to Pro Football Focus. Even last year he posted a +1.5 mark. The Falcons have wanted to get back to running the football more in order to protect Matt Ryan and also help ease the burden on the defense by controlling the clock.

He won’t be a superstar, but Atlanta already has enough of those. What they need is somebody who can provide stability and a little more physicality in the trenches. That is what Andy Levitre can do, which is why this trade could go down as one of the biggest steals of the 2015 season.

http://nflmocks.com/2015/09/04/atlanta-falcons-get-a-steal-in-andy-levitre/

Wasn't Dimitroff. This was Pioli/Quinn/Anyone But Dimitroff.

Unless he busts. Then it was totally a Troff move.

/purp

We should create a poll thread asking everybody to decide who's move this was and pin it.

Come back to it once the move either pans out or don't. Lol.

Maybe db#11 should do it

Edited by ATLFalcons11

I don't know how Levitre is going to do. What I do like is that the coaches saw an obvious need before season started and addressed it.

Exactly. As opposed to the former brain trust. I'm still hoping for another piece to the offensive puzzle after today's cuts.

Well, a brother can hope, right....? :-)

Edited by charliechaplin

Exactly. As opposed to the former brain trust. I'm still hoping for another piece to the offensive puzzle after today's cuts.

Well, a brother can hope, right....? :-)

I'm with you on this brother.

I was looking at our preseason game vs the Titans. Guess who gave up the very first sack to Tyson Jackson. It was Andy Levitre. In the running game Levitre tries to cut block but only succeeds in falling on the ground while the defender jumps over him. He's very inconsistent.

Who was Levitre blocking?

Never mind -- I just watched it. I think Mariotta steps up and gets rid of the football on that play if not for Soliai running the C right into his face. Yeah, Levitre got beat, by Tyson Jackson, while trying to man block. I'm not really worried about that. I don't think Jackson necessarily gets that sack if Soliai doesn't whip his man as bad as he did. Sometimes good players make plays.

I said it yesterday, if dude can regain a little of his old form this is a game changer.

Ditto. I went back and watched this dude's 2015 preseason and some of his 2011 tape to compare - he looks healthy from what I see. The question of whether he regains his form comes down to health and his knee/hip being 100%

Never mind -- I just watched it. I think Mariotta steps up and gets rid of the football on that play if not for Soliai running the C right into his face. Yeah, Levitre got beat, by Tyson Jackson, while trying to man block. I'm not really worried about that. I don't think Jackson necessarily gets that sack if Soliai doesn't whip his man as bad as he did. Sometimes good players make plays.

Check out the weak cut block attempt at the 1 min mark in the first Qrt.

Check out the weak cut block attempt at the 1 min mark in the first Qrt.

You keep pointing out cut blocks, but rarely do defenders get taken out of the play by Olinemen diving at their knees. They do that stuff on 3 step drops and certain run plays to slow down the defender enough

Watch him get on the run like in a ZBS. For example the Titans TD run. Think it was their 1st touchdown