Five Things About New Ol Andy Levitre

birdz4i

Andrew Hirsh

atlantafalcons.com Twitter

The Atlanta Falcons continue to bolster their offensive line as they made a trade with the Tennessee Titans for veteran guard Andy Levitre.

Strong Start: The Bills made Levitre the first guard drafted in 2009 when they picked him in the second round (51st overall). He made a smooth tranisition to the NFL, and by providing stability at left guard, he landed a spot on the NFL’s All-Rookie Team.

OSU’s Finest: Levitre enjoyed a prosperous NCAA career with Oregon State. According to NFL.com, he racked up 91 knockdowns and 14 touchdown-resulting blocks as a senior, which helped OSU to a 9-4 record and 360.57 yards per game. That success earned Levitre All-American honors from Pro Football Weekly and the American Football Coaches Association and secured him a place on the First Team All-Pac-10.

Durability a Plus: Levitre hasn't missed a regular season game through six professional campaigns. Moreover, he played in all 26 Oregon State contests during his junior and senior years. Health has been a concern for the Falcons’ OL, and Levitre’s injury history (or lack thereof) is quite encouraging.

Proven Track Record: Based on the numbers and scouting reports, Levitre was one of the NFL’s premier offensive linemen from 2011 through 2013. During those seasons, he registered the fifth-, eighth- and 13th-best Pro Football Focus ratings among qualifying guards; additionally, his OL in Buffalo allowed the fewest sacks in the league in 2011. Although 2014 didn’t go well for the Titans, Levitre tallied a positive PFF grade in each of his last five appearances with Tennessee.

Frozen in History: Levitre’s efforts in Buffalo helped him land a signature dessert. “Levitreland” is a strawberry cheesecake ice cream with chocolate-covered pretzels.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/blog/article-1/Five-Things-About-New-OL-Andy-Levitre/12d1c99b-1d6d-44fa-a858-3c56d69be837

Some are whining about his other team not wanting him why would we.

Well, other teams didn't want Hankerson, Schofield and Clayborn either.

It's all about scheme. Levitre played excellent in the ZBS, it was foolish of the Titans to sign him to play in a power scheme. Asamoah was our best OL last year in the power scheme, now, he's not even starting in the ZBS.

It's all about scheme. Levitre played excellent in the ZBS, it was foolish of the Titans to sign him to play in a power scheme. Asamoah was our best OL last year in the power scheme, now, he's not even starting in the ZBS.

exactly, i am just happy that the team is seeing an issue and are making a move to try to fix it. Whether it works or not, we will see, but at least they are trying to improve the team....in the end thats all i ask, get better

exactly, i am just happy that the team is seeing an issue and are making a move to try to fix it. Whether it works or not, we will see, but at least they are trying to improve the team....in the end thats all i ask, get better

To me, having a right handed QB, it is critical for Matt Ryan to have reliable pass protection at LT and LG. I was far more concerned about LG than I have been RG up until this signing.

This is a big deal IMO, a critical signing based on what I witnessed in preseason.

doesn't matter what we think

We all cry when the team doesn't do what we want :lol:

From titansonline.com, "He was a good fit under then Titans coach Mike Munchak’s regime, where athletic interior linemen with great technique thrive in more of a zone-blocking scheme."

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-4/Parting-Ways-Why-Levitre-Was-No-Longer-a-Fit-for-Titans/e3a5510f-4d68-4ffe-a25e-130368a58508

Edited by jaschart

To me, having a right handed QB, it is critical for Matt Ryan to have reliable pass protection at LT and LG. I was far more concerned about LG than I have been RG up until this signing.

This is a big deal IMO, a critical signing based on what I witnessed in preseason.

He isnt known for pass blocking

He was actually signed by the old coaching staff before Wisenhunt. He has a case of Jon Asamoah mismatch if anything.

He was actually signed by the old coaching staff before Wisenhunt. He has a case of Jon Asamoah mismatch if anything.

Sounds like it. I've been trying to get on their messageboards to see what their fans think about it, but can't get it to load. Their whole site seems to have some issues.

Frozen in History: Levitre’s efforts in Buffalo helped him land a signature dessert. “Levitreland” is a strawberry cheesecake ice cream with chocolate-covered pretzels.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/blog/article-1/Five-Things-About-New-OL-Andy-Levitre/12d1c99b-1d6d-44fa-a858-3c56d69be837

Just going to have to change that to PEACH cheesecake ice cream... which sounds helluva lot better anyway!

Great post

I was going to say that it's too bad we couldn't trade Asamoah for Levitre, then I looked at the contracts.

He started 16 games at LG for the NFL team who had the fewest sacks in 2011.

THAT'S what I'M talking about!!! Even though Levitre is 3 seasons older, he's got to be better than what we've been trottin' out there, lately. Now, let's get our RBs going, protect Matt Ryan, and I can see us winning a whole lot o' games ---- maybe even our Division, and the Playoffs?

In the words of our illustrious coach, Dan Quinn, I'M FIRED UP!!!!!!!

GO, YOU DIRTY BIRDS!!!!!!!

Edited by FalconJim

its pretty insane how much different his stats are from pre 2013 and post. His run block and pass block grades completely flip flop. I think in the ZBS he will be a good pass blocker and a decent run blocker

Actually will be the opposite. Went and watched a few Bills plays from 2012.

Pass pro he gets bullrushed quite often but he stays in front of his man generally.

Run pro he is extremely athletic. Moves to 2nd level seamlessly, pulls pretty well.

Based on 2012 he looks like an upgrade overall. Good trade that could be our 2015 Dominique Foxworth.

I went on their reddit page. Everyone seems happy he is gone

https://www.reddit.com/r/tennesseetitans

Yeah, sounds like they're relieved, but we took a lot of money off their hands, and we're trying to protect a LOT of money. I guess we just cross our fingers that it was a mismatch in scheme. The guy seems to have a pretty decent resume. I'm a ball watcher, so I suck at judging linemen. I still trust this regime enough on their choices with Asamoah, in regard to scheme choices, and we seem to have improved or held pat everywhere else that we needed to, as river pointed out.

I hate to say "cross our fingers," but A. The FO is recognizing and addressing a need, and B. Maybe we found talent when there seemed to be no talent to be found.

Edited by jaschart