Marlins At Braves

Unknøwn

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the saddest series of thoughts today.

1) We're playing the Marlins! We have a chance!

2) Shelby is pitching! He's the only one who hasn't fallen apart!

3) Oh wait, Shelby hasn't won this entire summer.

I've hated everything about the past year of baseball since the instant the Heyward trade was announced -- and I say that while acknowledging we've won that one.

Since this "plan" means tanking for the next 2-3 years then the front office go f off. This is the worst Braves team since the 80's and their is no way you can convince me they have some long term strategic plan with all these sudden trades. They are just collecting prospects hoping they stick and in the mean time wasting our time and rotting the prime years for Freddie and Simmons.

If these young guys don't pan out perfectly this team is going to be bad for the next decade.

Sorry. This is more like 1-2 years, not 3. Very few holes on the team over the long haul. Have a ton of assets, both monetary and personnel-wise to fill those in the coming offseasons.

I felt stronger about that just before the All-Star Break. We have holes at 2B, catcher, and LF. You can add 3B and CF to the list, depending on your opinions of Maybin and Olivera.The bullpen looks better next year, but it's a tire fire right now. And all of our young pitchers, including an established one in Julio, are pitching like they don't know where it's going...but the hitters sure do.

I'm not optimistic about 2016 right now.

I felt stronger about that just before the All-Star Break. We have holes at 2B, catcher, and LF. You can add 3B and CF to the list, depending on your opinions of Maybin and Olivera.The bullpen looks better next year, but it's a tire fire right now. And all of our young pitchers, including an established one in Julio, are pitching like they don't know where it's going...but the hitters sure do.

I realized a run in 2016 wasn't in the cards when we traded Alex Wood. With him, I thought we might take a run at a catcher in the offseason and give it a go, but you're right, there's too many holes to fill right now. With Wood gone, we go from counting on only one of Wisler/Foltynewicz/Banuelos/Perez to having to get two solid pitchers out of that group in 2016. It's possible, but the odds are just lower.

Barring more trades/injuries it looks like 2016 will be:

IF - Freeman, Peterson, Simmons, Olivera, back-up, back-up

OF - Maybin, Markakis, Bourn, Swisher

C - Bethancourt, back-up

SP - Miller, Teheran, Minor, Wislor/Foltynewicz/Banuelos/Perez/Jenkins

RP - Grill, Vizcaino, Rodriguez, Withrow, Winkler, Simmons, another lefty, long guy

As you say, the bullpen at least should be markedly better.

I realized a run in 2016 wasn't in the cards when we traded Alex Wood. With him, I thought we might take a run at a catcher in the offseason and give it a go, but you're right, there's too many holes to fill right now. With Wood gone, we go from counting on only one of Wisler/Foltynewicz/Banuelos/Perez to having to get two solid pitchers out of that group in 2016. It's possible, but the odds are just lower.

Barring more trades/injuries it looks like 2016 will be:

IF - Freeman, Peterson, Simmons, Olivera, back-up, back-up

OF - Maybin, Markakis, Bourn, Swisher

C - Bethancourt, back-up

SP - Miller, Teheran, Minor, Wislor/Foltynewicz/Banuelos/Perez/Jenkins

RP - Grill, Vizcaino, Rodriguez, Withrow, Winkler, Simmons, another lefty, long guy

As you say, the bullpen at least should be markedly better.

Wood is not doing hot in LA, which meshes with his ever increasing WHIP, lowering K/B rate, and more hittable fastball.

I still think it's too early to give up on Peterson but we definitely need a catcher. Bethancourt has done nothing to show that he's the guy.

Based on his 2015 play, Jace is a sub-par MLB starter. I like him, but he's realistically a 25-year-old with a .314 OBP and .340 slugging. He's also nothing special on defense, at least not at 2B. I think scouts have him right. He's a super-utility player rather than an everyday starter.

Based on his 2015 play, Jace is a sub-par MLB starter. I like him, but he's realistically a 25-year-old with a .314 OBP and .340 slugging. He's also nothing special on defense, at least not at 2B. I think scouts have him right. He's a super-utility player rather than an everyday starter.

I'm not saying that he will ever be a long-term option at 2B. I'm just saying he's the best option the Braves have right now and you can only fill in so many holes at once. I say he's fine as the 2B starter next year and we focus on more pressing needs like LF and C.

Guest Homer the Brave

I still think it's too early to give up on Peterson but we definitely need a catcher. Bethancourt has done nothing to show that he's the guy.

It should be clear to everyone, including Braves front office, that Bethancourt is a bust. The guy just can't play at the major league level.

Probably right, but it's not a position that the team has to address fir next season.