Falcons Line Still In Flux-Vaughn Mcclure Article

Guest Gritz

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which makes me myself feel that they've talked to him and told him their plan to get everyone as much experience with the ones as possible. That the best players will still actually win the job, they're just installing a new scheme and getting the whole line play time together. The way he is so nonchalant about it just gives me that impression. Their rotating and mixing in games furthers that belief.

I could get behind this... it would make sense. I do trust them to put the best men on the field Week 1. Things have just been crazy with the way they've been mixing things up though. I guess we will see.

Belichick and the Pats always seem to put together solid O-lines for Brady. Heck, they cut Logan Mankins and still kept chugging along without missing a beat. Moreover, they hardly seem to draft lineman in the first couple of rounds, so it's interesting that they're able to sustain that quality.

Belichick and the Pats always seem to put together solid O-lines for Brady. Heck, they cut Logan Mankins and still kept chugging along without missing a beat. Moreover, they hardly seem to draft lineman in the first couple of rounds, so it's interesting that they're able to sustain that quality.

They've got a staff that clearly knows what they're doing with talent evaluation. It's extraordinary.

http://www.patriots.com/news/2014/01/22/dante-scarnecchia-retire-dave-deguglielmo-named-new-offensive-line-coach

This explains a lot of it...

Edited by TheFalcoholic

Agreed. If the reason Asamoah is being benched is because he doesn't fit the scheme like they want, you STILL cannot justify sitting your best pass protector on the roster and allow your QB to get crushed. Trufant doesn't fit what Quinn's idea of a prototypical CB is in his scheme, but the dude is a beast. I understand Asamoah is not nearly at the same level as Tru at his position, but the dude keeps the QB upright. He needs to be on the field.

Then take Chester and plug him at LG and let Aso have his RG spot back. I mean, this is serious chit right now.

They've got a staff that clearly knows what they're doing with talent evaluation. It's extraordinary.

http://www.patriots.com/news/2014/01/22/dante-scarnecchia-retire-dave-deguglielmo-named-new-offensive-line-coach

This explains a lot of it...

They seem to pick real strong linemen with smarts and upside who appear raw. They then farm them almost akin to baseball. It's definitely impressive. That and stockpiling g picks.

I really want to know where McClure is getting this Asomoah doesn't fit a ZBS scheme nonsense.

Seems to me like he's nursing a bad ankle right now & that's it.

It does no good to have him with the 1's if he can't move w/ 100% agility/mobility right now due to trying to get the ankle healed.

Based on the nature of a ZBS the line needs to move as one unit, so having a guy out there who can't go full speed only holds back the others. The coaches know this, and so it's better to put other more healthy guys out there until your true top guys are fully ready to go.

So, if Matthews, Aso, Hawley, Chester, and Schraeder is the ideal starting o-line, but Aso can't move 100% yet, you put someone else (stone or person) in his place until he can. Otherwise, you run the risk of either Aso making the ankle worse or having the rest of the starters have to slow things down so he can keep up.

My only problem with this coaching staff and Quinn is this. They simplify the defense, make it an attacking the gap type of defense. All the players they had or brought in, are built now to run something they fit in.

This is great and is paying off quickly.

On the other side, Quinn brings in Shanahan who seems to be the ultimate mark for the zone blocking scheme. A complex, two to three year process of getting guys for the system and learning it. It just makes me wonder WTF was he thinking? Why bring in a complex system that takes years to get good at for the offensive line, but make it simple and easy for the defensive line? It's almost like Quinn wants to punish the offense but reward the defense. If I was Quinn, I would start off with a simple blocking scheme, most likely man to man and then slowly transition to this ####### running to the sidelines and hoping and praying the guys block someone. I think they should just get rid of anything that is ZBS and just play football. You're not going too fool anyone in the NFL by sending all of the linemen on a sprint to the sidelines for a toss sweep.

Quite honestly, no one has looked good on the offensive line. Person has looked the worse and most uncomfortable at the center position. Teams are just going to tee off on this offensive line because they are not used to doing this snap and pull for 20 yards type of blocking. If the Redskins with RG3 and Morris is what we have too look forward too, than I don't want to see it.

I believe the talent is there for the offensive line, but to ask these guys to do something completely out of this world, it's a lot to ask for them to just get good at in 1 training camp. As far as Stone goes, not only does he have to learn this exotic blocking scheme but he also has to learn a new position at the same time, which would lead to mistakes. I would love for Stone to be super human and be perfect, but the fact is, he played Center his whole career in college and in the NFL, so I don't see why he shouldn't get the chance to play there. I know LG is as open as anything else, but bring a Vet LG in who has done it before.

wait wait wait............learn a NEW POSITION?!? I thought you've said (multiple times I might add) that your hubby was the only one on the line who could already do all three interior positions? backpedal much?

bahahahaha...........man you've turned yourself into the biggest freakin joke on the message board

Asamoah's comments about the demotion don't give me that impression though. If I was being interviewed about losing my starting position, and it was due to an injury, I would make mention of it. I'm not gonna let people think I just suck.

maybe he's already in the dog house and don't wanna stay there by saying something to tick em off any further

maybe he's already in the dog house and don't wanna stay there by saying something to tick em off any further

Every single thing I've ever read about Aso says he's got an awesome work ethic & is a great guy in the locker room. He plays mean but stays out of trouble & is a leader. Doesn't sound like the kind of guy who would be in the dog house.

More likely Vaughn is just another hack reporter who is embellishing things to make a story out of nothing, because the staff & players don't want/need to tell him sh!t about what's actually happening.

wait wait wait............learn a NEW POSITION?!? I thought you've said (multiple times I might add) that your hubby was the only one on the line who could already do all three interior positions? backpedal much?

bahahahaha...........man you've turned yourself into the biggest freakin joke on the message board

Come on now. He's doing so good with actual conversation. Let's not prod him and ruin that please sir.

The fact that Asamoah is still not being considered for a starting position is infuriating.

You have to have close to 100% of your mobility to move with agility & quickness as this ZBS scheme demands.

If you are 300lbs and nursing an ankle injury, you shouldn't push it too hard. When he is close to 100%, I'd be absolutely shocked if he isn't starting again.

Until then, it would only hold back the rest of the starting line to have him out there (or worse he could further injure the ankle by trying to keep up before he's healed enough). The line needs to move as one solid unit, so having a guy who doesn't have the agility can throw off the whole thing.

You have to have close to 100% of your mobility to move with agility & quickness as this ZBS scheme demands.

If you are 300lbs and nursing an ankle injury, you shouldn't push it too hard. When he is close to 100%, I'd be absolutely shocked if he isn't starting again.

Until then, it would only hold back the rest of the starting line to have him out there (or worse he could further injure the ankle by trying to keep up before he's healed enough). The line needs to move as one solid unit, so having a guy who doesn't have the agility can throw off the whole thing.

I just wish the staff would clarify instead of us having to take McClure's word for it.

Well if it's his ankle holding him back, then there is no shame in stating so from the staff. This whole thing is a head scratcher. Maybe our media coverage guys aren't digging hard enough to get the truth.

Who knows. I mean if you have a choice between a guy whose supposedly a tad slower but is a proven badazz, and a guy whose a six flags turnstile, then you go with the guy whose not going to put our QB in the emergency room right?

Do we not know who the F we have by now? It's prom night eve.

Well if it's his ankle holding him back, then there is no shame in stating so from the staff. This whole thing is a head scratcher. Maybe our media coverage guys aren't digging hard enough to get the truth.

Who knows. I mean if you have a choice between a guy whose supposedly a tad slower but is a proven badazz, and a guy whose a six flags turnstile, then you go with the guy whose not going to put our QB in the emergency room right?

Do we not know who the F we have by now? It's prom night eve.

No, not for a meaningless PS game.

In two weeks, we'll all know what's up, until then the staff has no obligation to tell anyone what their plan is

Every single thing I've ever read about Aso says he's got an awesome work ethic & is a great guy in the locker room. He plays mean but stays out of trouble & is a leader. Doesn't sound like the kind of guy who would be in the dog house.

More likely Vaughn is just another hack reporter who is embellishing things to make a story out of nothing, because the staff & players don't want/need to tell him sh!t about what's actually happening.

oh I agree, maybe they're not happy with an offseason injury? there has to be something behind the scenes we're not privy to, because it just doesn't make any sense to hear 'he doesn't fit' when all the raves on him coming out of college were he'd be dang near perfect for a ZBS

Which makes me myself feel that they've talked to him and told him their plan to get everyone as much experience with the ones as possible. That the best players will still actually win the job, they're just installing a new scheme and getting the whole line play time together. The way he is so nonchalant about it just gives me that impression. Their rotating and mixing in games furthers that belief.

I like this theory, but to think he looks so good in it that he doesn't need the reps, nor the time to possibly develop as a leader within it because he's just owning it, makes me think this is chock full o' holes.