Falcons Still Considering Ot Jake Long

birdz4i

Posted 49 minutes ago

Andrew Hirsh atlantafalcons.com Twitter

It's been more than a month since Jake Long traveled to Falcons headquarters for an individual workout, but according to Dan Quinn, Atlanta could still sign the free agent lineman.
tempATL-MIA_013--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

2015 Gameday - Falcons at Dolphins

Following Monday’s practice, head coach Dan Quinn confirmed the Falcons have not ruled out signing veteran offensive tackle Jake Long.

The University of Michigan alum, drafted first overall in 2008, worked out at Flowery Branch earlier this summer.

“He’s somebody we’ve still talked about for sure,” Quinn said. “(He’s) a guy we have lots of regard for.”

Atlanta is dealing with numerous injuries at tackle. Lamar Holmesicon-article-link.gif remains on the PUP list with a broken foot; Jake Matthewsicon-article-link.gif is currently sidelined with a strained back; and Tyler Polumbusicon-article-link.gif hurt his knee against Miami, although he participated on Monday.

If the Falcons remain shorthanded up front, Long, 30, may be able to fill in.

“I’ll wait to see where we’re at in regard to the injuries before we move forward in that way in terms of future players,” Quinn added.

Long, once a franchise cornerstone in Miami and St. Louis, is a four-time Pro Bowler and earned first-team All-Pro honors in 2010.

However, he missed the majority of last season after tearing his right ACL for the second time.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/blog/article-1/Falcons-Still-Considering-OT-Jake-Long/d08d953a-f6a2-446a-a28f-27880d318ed0

Guest facelessman07

they need to do something to fix this horrendous oline

Address it hard and heavy in FA and the first few rounds of the draft next year

Dare I say we "rectify it with a vengeance?"

Guest facelessman07

Seemed to work with the D.

So far, yes

But we've got a $100 million furby that is in dire need of a solid glass case for protection. Should be a crime the way it's being treated

Jake Long will be a short term solution for now. If we sign him.

I am concerned about the oline. They need to spend some serious hours before and after practice to get their chemistry and technique right. Some of them need to hit the weights more. It won't fix the woes, but it will somewhat improve their performance.

Address it hard and heavy in FA and the first few rounds of the draft next year

Dare I say we "rectify it with a vengeance?"

that is true - but you hope that Matt Ryan still has all his body parts by next year.

Sign Jake Long to a 1 year deal - gives him a chance to prove he deserves big money again and hopefully helps Matt survive in 2015 and stay healthy. Maybe Schraeder could move inside and play some guard.

LT - Jake Matthews

LG - Jon Asamoah

C - Joe Hawley (apparently we are stuck w/ him)

RG - Chris Chester

RT - Jake Long

try to figure out a way to get Schraeder some playing time - rotate w/ Jake Long and/or inside if he can handle inside. Keep Stone as back-up Center. Maybe Jake Long just becomes a "swing tackle" when/if" Matthews/Schraeder get hurt.

He's playing center better than Hawley right now but maybe that's because Hawley is hurt.

If a healthy Hawley can outplay Person then so be it. Konz and Stone need to go though.

We are talking about the Person that has 4 botched snaps through 3 preseason games right?

Listening to Quinn's interview it didn't sound like he was "considering" Jake Long to me. It sounded more like he was giving a generic answer to a question. They brought the guy in and worked him out and didn't offer him a contract. Considering that Polumbus is our third best tackle, Jake Long's workout must not have been that impressive or there is still some injury concerns.