Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

2016 Mlb Draft

477 posts in this topic

I would be disappointed we drafted Ray unless he was underslot enough to get another top 10 talent at #40. Just going BAP, I'd rather have Pint or Groome.

Yeah, I dont think Ray is a great pick at #3. Im hoping Lewis is there but if not Groome seems to be the top guy. If only we could trade down

On 5/28/2016 at 5:24 PM, Unkn0wn said:

Law adds Ray is in the mix but doesnt think Senzel is.

I coincidentally bumped into two members of Senzel's family at a funeral receiving this morning. They're hoping for the Braves and have developed solid relationships with people within the organization. Then again, most players in the south feel that way in the days leading up to the draft.

Phillies GM says they've narrowed the list down to a "handful" of guys. Philly media reports that list consist of Lewis, Puk, Moniak, Senzel and Rutherford.

I don't get the Lewis hype. He's basically a 21 year old HS prospect, given his competition and how raw he is, with way too many moving parts in his swing. It comes off as people trying to see something that isn't there since they want a special bat in a class where there isn't one.

Lewis proved himself in the Cape Cod league. He showed he can be productive against better talent. Thats when he really got noticed. He shows a lot of promise and with no clear cut top prospects he could go #1 overall or anywhere else.

BA came out with their newest mock draft, and it's pretty different than their prior ones.

1. Phillies - Mickey Moniak, OF
  2. Reds - A.J. Puk, LHP
  3. Braves - Corey Ray, OF
  4. Rockies - Kyle Lewis, OF
  5. Brewers - Riley Pint, RHP
  6. A's - Jason Groome, LHP
  7. Marlins - Delvin Perez, SS
  8. Padres - Cal Quantrill, RHP
  9. Tigers - Nick Senzel, 3B
  10. White Sox - Zack Collins, C

The talk of Puk to the Phillies had started heating up. This has to be the hardest draft to mock for these guys. Anything could happen. I like Pint and Groome but if the Braves want to speed through this rebuild I guess Ray makes sense. Quick riser and use that money somewhere else.

Mark Bowman tells what he hears 

First-round buzz
Mercer University outfielder Kyle Lewis is an Atlanta native who has developed impressive power potential since turning his focus from basketball to baseball. Lewis seems like a good fit for his hometown team, but if he's taken by the Phillies or Reds, the Braves may go with the University of Tennessee's Nick Senzel or the University of Louisville's Corey Ray. High school pitchers Riley Pint, Ian Anderson and Jason Groome have drawn attention. But it seems more likely the Braves go with a college bat

FWIW Jim Callis also said the Braves could take Senzel if Lewis isnt there. He also mentioned Ray as a possible as well.

Senzel's actually the player I want, but he's a Boras client. That would mess up our plan of getting the #3 pick to sign for less.

7 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Im not sold on Senzel because of his defense. If he could stick at 3B then he would make more sense.

He's reportedly improved quite a bit from earlier reports. I think Senzel would be a safe pick, but with the #3 I'd rather have a little more upside. I wouldn't hate the pick, but I think we can do better.

MLB.com reporting the Phillies are leaning hitter at #1. Thats the link to Moniak. They can sign him for less. We'll see if the Reds pass on Lewis if that happens.

22 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

MLB.com reporting the Phillies are leaning hitter at #1. Thats the link to Moniak. They can sign him for less. We'll see if the Reds pass on Lewis if that happens.

Gotta think the Reds take Puk if he's sitting there.

Jim Callis redrafted the 2011 draft

28. Braves: Cody Allen, RHP, High Point
(Actual pick: Sean Gilmartin, LHP, Florida State. Allen: 23rd round, Indians.)
Cleveland couldn't sign Allen as a 16th-rounder out of St. Petersburg (Fla.) JC in 2010 but got him a year later for $125,000 as a 23rd-rounder out of High Point. His fastball jumped into the mid-90s and his curveball into the mid-80s in pro ball, helping him become the second player from the 2011 Draft to reach the Majors and take over as the Indians' closer by mid-2014. Gilmartin was a high-floor/low-ceiling finesse lefty who helped the Mets out of the bullpen last year after Atlanta swapped him for Ryan Doumit two years earlier.

Check out the entire 1st round here

Jon Morosi reported Kyle Lewis worked out with the Braves today. Reports say the Braves loved what Lewis showed. Its now believed the Braves would take Lewis if he's there.

Delvin Perez is reportedly dropping on draft boards because of a failed drug test. 

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/182564040/draft-buzz-what-callis-and-mayo-are-hearing?topicid=151437456

"

Braves looking for deal at No. 3?

With this Draft class, particularly at the top, very much in flux, teams picking in the Top 10 are still trying to figure out how things will line up. Starting with the Phillies, who are still reportedly considering several options with the top selection, the volatility is causing teams picking early to explore any and all options.

That includes potential bargains. The Atlanta Braves have the No. 3 pick and have mostly been associated with taking a bat with the pick. The last few mocks on MLBPipeline.com have had Atlanta taking local Mercer product Kyle Lewis at No. 3. And there would be interest in Florida lefty A.J. Puk should he get to the Braves. One thing there doesn't seem to be is consensus, about both who will be there and who the Braves will take.

As a result, the Braves -- like most of the teams in the top third of the first round -- are looking at potential bargains with their first pick. There has been a good amount of buzz about them looking at high school arms for a while. That intensified about one player in particular when they had a large presence at Ian Anderson's last start in upstate New York.

Anderson, ranked No. 13 in the Top 200, didn't hurt his cause any by throwing his fastball in the 94-97 mph range and striking out 16 in the start, cementing his status in the first round. The Braves do have extra picks, with a Lottery Round A pick at No. 40, acquired via a trade with the Marlins, then their second-round pick at No. 44. If they save money at No. 3, they could be more aggressive about going after talent that slid because of signability concerns later on.

2016 Draft: Ian Anderson, RHP 2016 Draft: Ian Anderson, RHP
Ian Anderson is tall and projectable with the ability to add strength in the future

The talk surrounding Anderson was that the Vanderbilt commit had told teams he was looking for $3 million. Pick value for the No. 3 selection is slightly more than $6.5 million. The Braves could potentially meet Anderson's asking price and still have $3.5 million and change to play with in later rounds.

That all sounds like an intriguing scenario, but it is one that still seems like a bit of a long shot. But it's one the Braves can't rule out because of the uncertainty at the top."

My Top 5:

1. Kyle Lewis, OF

2. Jason Groome, LHP

3. Riley Pint, RHP

4. Corey Ray, OF

5. Mickey Moniak, OF

Final BA mock:

1. Phillies - Mickey Moniak, OF
  2. Reds - A.J. Puk, LHP
  3. Braves - Kyle Lewis, OF
  4. Rockies - Riley Pint, RHP
  5. Brewers - Corey Ray, OF
  6. A's - Nick Senzel, 3B
  7. Marlins - Braxton Garrett, LHP
  8. Padres - Cal Quantrill, RHP
  9. Tigers - Zack Burdi, RHP
  10. White Sox - Zack Collins, C

Atlanta remains connected to college bats—Nick Senzel, Lewis and Ray. They’ve also scouted the top prep arms, Groome and righties Riley Pint and Ian Anderson, with Anderson picking up steam this week with a dynamic start over the weekend in which he sat at in the mid-90s with his fastball for seven innings. The club is tight-lipped and not tipping its pick, but this time around, we’ll go local with Lewis, with Anderson possibly being floated down the draft to their second pick.

In short, I don't think anyone has a good handle on what's going to happen. However, if they can get Lewis underslot and Anderson at #40 overslot, this will probably be a good draft.

17 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Delvin Perez is reportedly dropping on draft boards because of a failed drug test. 

PEDs.

I am surprised they don't have Senzel in the top 5. Everybody here thinks that's a foregone conclusion. He's the cleanest player in the draft.